Reluctant Runner

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

I’ve said at times that I am not a runner. People find this perplexing as I run regularly. I consider a runner someone who loves to run. Who can’t wait to get out there and pound the pavement (or trail). Like my sister who is out running every morning at 5am, rain, sleet, snow, gail force winds… she’ll be out runing. Or like a good friend of mine who runs ultras. I still can’t wrap my head around the levels of physical endurance it takes to run 100 miles.

But me… I’m a reluctant runner. I procrastinate about getting my runs in. Thing is, after the first mile, I usually enjoy running (yes, I hate that first mile). And I really feel good when I’m done. But making myself get out there and just start can be a mental feat for me sometimes.

Like this morning. I spent an hour getting ready to run. Should only take me 5 minutes. I mean, it’s not like one needs a shower BEFORE running. And then another 20 minutes deciding where I was going to run. Was I going to go from my house and do hill work or was I going to drive 5 minutes into town for a nice flat run? Or was I going to drive 15 minutes out of town for a more scenic trail run?

By the time I got out running, I only had time for a 6 mile run.

Why do I do this? I felt great running today. I even pushed my speed since it was a shorter run and took almost a minute and a half off my average mile.

Thank God for RunBet. It really pushes me to do my practice runs as I’m too cheap to lose my $40. :joy:

I will say I’m enjoying it way more now than I was preketo, but that’s because I’ve stopped trying to make every run as fast as I can. I’m not going to be placing anytime soon anymore, but it does feel much better not trying to kill myself for a PR everytime.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else was a reluctant runners out there. Or am I a black sheep among the running community?

(Doug) #2

It was always a matter of just putting on my running shoes and going out the door. After that, I was fine, but had to get to that point…

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

I am really having trouble understanding why you run so much if you don’t truly love it? Is it for exercise/heart health? I hate running. I’m asthmatic. I can’t breathe. My knees hate it. I’ve considered cancelling my crossfit membership because my coaches don’t understand how much I bloody hate it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

I do enjoy it once I get going. The first 5 minutes or so of running is difficult.
I think it’s more mental. But once past that point, I can run for 2 hours or more, no problem. And like I said, I feel great once I finish. I feel amazing most times. I love the feeling of strength, both physically and mentally, that I get from it.

It’s just hard to get the motivation to start going.
I guess I just get lazy too often.

(Alec) #5

I have found that routine is critical for me. I have a routine: finish work, drive to the park, get running clothes on, go for run, finish run, go to grocery store to buy fresh keto food, go home and eat.

The key for me is to run between work and home. This is easy for me, and I love being able to unwind on a run after a hard and sometimes stressful work day.

And the best way to love running: run slow most of the time. Running fast is enjoyable when I do it because it is the exception to the rule. I only run fast twice per week: one interval session on a Tuesday, and parkrun (race) on a Saturday. Other than that it is slllllloooooooowwwwwwww… :joy:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Do you always listen to music? When I run in Crossfit, I get so bored because I have no music, which makes it so hard to focus as every nanosecond I am counting my breath and thinking ‘this sucks so much’ lol.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

Yes! This is part of my problem. Certain days are no problem. But because my work schedule varies, it’s impossible for me to get into a routine.

And now trying to add longer runs means some days I have to get up extra early to run. I did the 5 am run the other day and again, once into it, it was one of my best runs.
But somehow when the alarm goes off to get up early to run, sleep always seems more preferable.

Most times when I have my days off and I can do it within my own timing, it’s not an issue at all.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Yup. Can’t run without music.

I did just try listinging to a book on tape while I ran too recently.
I didn’t think I would like it because I like to let my mind go when I run, but I got so absorbed with the books content that the running part seemed to become incidental.

I’m not a runner but I can still relate to this with just getting to the gym. Personal training appointments would get me there. Otherwise, I’d have to make a deal with myself that once I walked in the door I could walk right back out if I wanted to. Of course, once in the door I always stayed. It’s funny the silly games we have to play with ourselves, despite being grown-ups. :laughing:

I have a Peloton bike at home now, which I love once I’m on it, but ridiculously enough I still have to play that game in my head. It does help that I can ride in my underwear if I feel like it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

Yes!!! It isn’t that we don’t enjoy it once doing it.

(less is more, more or less) #11

Nah, I love to run but I’m wired differently. I’m horrible at it, slow pace and all that but I love the “me” time. I love to explore neighborhoods, the country, new places, see the people all around, the sunrises. I catch up on my prayer, podcasts, or, if I’m particularly blessed, a family member tags along and we have a fantastic conversation.

(Nathan Toben) #12

I hate running

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

I don’t run because of old bad knees. I’m 64 and when I was about 57 I started going to the Gym with my wife who is 5 years younger. We strive for 5 days a week. Some weeks is like 3 and some 6 or 7.

Walk some, and do strength training and learning kettlebell. I do an exercise bike a little but cann’t do treadmill because I have a bad foot. Since pushing my keto from <50g carbs a day to <20g a month ago I have really upped my strength training and now I don’t get sore on days when I really up the weight.

I go to bed from between 8:30 and 9:30 and am up at 4:00 to 4:30 am. At the gym by 5 and we do an hour. I thank my wife for getting us started at this. Its been hard getting their so early but now I have to do it an love how I feel. I listen to podcasts (yes 2 keto dudes but many others) at the gym. I think some form of exercise at my age will help delay me being frail.

I think you secretly love running. You just have an activation problem. I do too. I use strong :coffee::coffee::coffee: to motivate me. And I get to eat :bacon: and :fried_egg: with butter when I’m done.

Keep running.

(Chris McRoberts) #14

Can u run normally, or do u do pose running?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #15

@Chris262 What is pose running lol?

(Chris McRoberts) #16

Here is my brief explanation, and I am no expert. U must lean forward (at ankle, not waist). 180 strides per minute, u move by using hamstring, not just lunging forward

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

In that case I would assume I run normally? At least I think I do!

(Chris McRoberts) #18

I have tried it, total pain in the behind

I love to run, but I too am terrible at it. Horribly slow, have very bad back, hips and ankles. I ran for around three years, come rain, snow and zero temps. Now my right foot absolutely refuses to let me keep on, so I’ve had to say goodbye to running. I did two half marathons, numerous 5Ks and really loved doing it. A great life experience even though I couldn’t sustain it.

(Terence Dean) #20

The only way I’ll run is if there’s a dirty great big dog chasing me! :dog: