Regular Broth

(karen) #1

I’m sick of keto-ade. I don’t like drinking something artificially made to taste sweet that’s got a boatload of salt in it.

So I got some organic Mushroom Broth. Or maybe it’s mushroom stock. It’s got not much of anything in it, 5 calories per cup (no protein, like bone broth has (EDIT: actually it has probably 1.2 grams of protein). I loaded it up with a bit of extra salt, plus potassium and magnesium. Yummy! I assume the same would work for regular commercial chicken broth, also has “nothing” in it and about the same calories. - I’m not sipping unlimited quantities of this, maybe 10 calories per day total.

Anyone have an opinion re ‘does this break my fast’, ‘does this stop autophagy’ or ‘is there a reason I shouldn’t drink this while fasting’?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

And no carbs?

I don’t see an issue with it, other than I hate mushrooms.:nauseated_face:

(karen) #3

No carbs. But I stand corrected, 2g protein. (Since it’s 5 calories, that has to be closer to 1g, really.) :angry: Maybe chicken for you, then? I’m just pleased to be adding my salts to something I expect to taste salty, that gatorade sweet/salty thing just doesn’t work for me at all.

I don’t like ketoaide either. I just put salt and no salt in a small amount of water and shoot it back like a keto shot.

I think I’ll start doing this now instead. Mmmm mushroom stock sounds good.

(karen) #5

Yes, and I warm it up, so that’s my “dinner”. Very comforting at the time of day that my fasting body is most likely to complain!

(Jan) #6

I’ve been looking for a commercial broth/ bouillon/ stock that does not contain maltodextrin. Have you found one? Maltodextrin may not be listed as a carb, but it’s glycemic index is higher than pure sugar. Messes with my bg horribly. Would love to find something without it!

(karen) #7

In the US - Pacific brand organic Mushroom Broth (got it at Sprouts). Water, organic mushrooms, sea salt and organic garlic. Period. I think I paid $1.99 on sale, obviously more expensive to have it delivered. - I was really pleased, was looking for a bullion without malodextrin or msg in it but couldn’t find any and voila, here was this on the shelf under the bullion. Win!

(Michelle) #8

That sounds good, but I’m more of a “throw some salt in my mouth and chase t with water” kind of girl.

(karen) #9

Ya, I do that too. But I like having “dinner” while my husband is eating, and a mouthful of salt just isn’t quite the same. :cry:

(Pete A) #10

To the original post I sip chicken broth pretty rgularly, and like you said, it doesn’t have much in it that makes it a concern…