Red meat's risk of cancer jumped 36-fold in two years in GBD study

(Bob M) #1

This is an interesting article by Nina Teicholz, about “the Global Burdens of Disease study (GBD), an on-going project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation”:

One important part of the article:

To go from the lowest risk of 15 to have a 36-fold increase in risk for red meat’s causing cancer in two years is stunning. And wrong, but they won’t retract it.

While I’m not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch, there does seem to be too much of a relationship between the study’s authors and the The Lancet.

And it goes to show how much emphasis is placed on the “red meat is bad for you” idea.

Hat tip to Mark’s Daily Apple, where he tells you what he read this week:

It’s always interesting.

hey I saw on a tv commercial for ColoGuard at home testing that IT IS NOW recommended for everyone to test at age 45…used to be 50…is this a marketing scare or is it ‘real’ that earlier ill health is truly hitting everyone faster on this chem icl sludge food supply we got going on?

there is a ton of crazy out there as we all know and there is a ton of studies ALL paid for by corps for their own benefit and there are agendas out there that we would be shocked to truly know about in every aspect of this entire life on the planet as we all know it.

I say conspiracy is real and happening right under our noses and we are shown blips of it every single darn day. Now I ain’t gonna go all prepper and hunker down or call out every single person in this world in some fanatic insanity but yea, it is out there, like Muldar Fox says, the truth is out there! wee…

the world as it is being directed at us is always interesting is an understatement but I sure agree LOL

My understanding is that meat promotes the growth of cancerous cells because of the high amount of protein(building blocks) that help cancer cells replicate. Also the glyphosate infested grains they feed feedlot animals… I wouldn’t be surprised if it causes cancer.

The fresh meat in parts of Europe doesn’t compare to the conventional crappy meat here in North America. The problem with a lot of people in North America is that they confuse loyalty for integrity.

Air pollution obviously causes cancer. Especially diesel (locomotive) air pollution.

Didn’t a long time keto carnivore woman recently die from cancer?

(Bob M) #4

You can’t really gauge anything from this. If you’re speaking of Dr. Sarah Hallberg, she died of lung cancer, and was not carnivore. She never smoked.

My wife’s friend died from lung cancer, never smoked. She died in her early 20s.

Protein does cause insulin to increase. But what’s better, eating 2MAD with some protein or eating high carb 5-6 times per day? I can guarantee the AUC (area under the curve) for insulin is way higher for the latter than the former.

And “glyphosate infested grains”…aren’t those also being fed to…humans? At a way higher concentration than you’ll get in meat?

(Scott) #5

I know someone that ate crap food all her life and never exercised once. She is 106 years old and sharp as a tack without a wrinkle. She was on the local news getting her covid shot and casually commented no big deal, I had the Spanish American flu too.

(Bob M) #6

4 out of 7 of my dad’s mom’s family lived well into their 90s or over 100. Aunt Millie made it to 99, but not 100. Sharp, too.

But all of that has nothing to do with red meat and the supposed risk of cancer made up by a group given hundreds of millions of dollars to provide input on this and other subjects concerning foof.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Since all proteins, whether from plant or from animal sources, are broken down into their constituent amino acids in the digestive tract before they are absorbed into the blood stream, I find it highly unlikely that a cancer would be able to tell whether the lysine or tryptophan molecules it takes in originally came from a plant protein or a meat protein. Or would even care.

The oncologist and cancer researcher Dr. Thomas Seyfried maintains that all cancers are caused by metabolic damage from a high-glucose (carbohydrate) diet. It’s certainly a plausible hypothesis, given that glycolysis gives off reactive oxygen species (free radicals), whereas fatty-acid metabolism does not.

Many cancers require glucose to thrive (the Warburg Effect), so a low-carb, high-fat diet helps starve such cancers of energy. But there are some cancers that prefer ketone bodies, so it is important to know what type of cancer we are dealing with. Nevertheless, I understand that a ketogenic diet can be a useful adjuvant therapy for treating most, if not all, cancers, in the hands of an oncologist who knows what he or she is doing.

(Ashley) #8

Colon cancer is on the rise, I personally know many people in my friend circle with colon cancer or remission of colon cancer (I’m early 30’s). Do I think it’s meat related? Heck no. I think it is related to terrible diet among other health factors.

(Central Florida Bob ) #9

I felt much better about that a year ago than now. In the last few months we lost two giants in the field, Sarah Hallberg and Adele Hite, whom we can be pretty sure were very well educated about keto, more than most practitioners would be. I say a year ago because we lost someone on the forums whom I don’t recall ever speaking with but was rooting for. Pretty sure she called herself Keto Cancer Mom. She seemed pretty sharp and knowledgeable, too.

As for Roundup, there are lots more things worthy of your attention. No carefully controlled study has ever concluded that glyphosate causes cancer, nor has any country declared it a carcinogen. As of the last time I spent a few hours searching that topic, about 18 months ago.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

The problem is that a ketogenic diet heals so many of our conditions that it is sometimes difficult to accept that it isn’t a panacaea. I’ve watched a very interesting lecture by Dr. Dawn Lemanne, an oncologist in the Pacific Northwest of the United States (on the Low Carb Down Under channel on YouTube), describing how a ketogenic diet can help with cancer cachexia and with the nausea that accompanies chemotherapy and radiation. She cautions, however, that while keto is a useful adjuvant therapy in conjunction with other cancer treatments, it is by no means a front-line or exclusive treatment.

(Central Florida Bob ) #11

Likewise, I think I heard Peter Attia talking about keto as an adjuvant while driving to get an airplane for a biz trip - and I’ve been retired since the end of '15 so over six years ago.

Someone, and I can’t recall who, said it’s possible that the only reason chemotherapy works is that people get so sick they automatically fast more and go into periods of ketosis due to the metabolic upset.

Cancer is a tough opponent. I think I’ve told my wife’s story but in '97 she had a hell year of breast cancer. She was in a support group of 12 women, all told they had the same chance of five year survival - around 75%. My wife and one other were the only two to survive five years, and the other woman passed away several years ago. Two out of 12 surviving sure isn’t 75%. A key part of that treatment was a stem cell (bone marrow) transplant - which later turned out to be based on research that was faked - both my wife and this other woman went through that and the other woman developed a leukemia that was attributed to the stem cell transplant.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Now that has to be purely horrible. It’s bad enough when a scientist honestly misinterprets ambiguous data, but to deliberately fake data when lives are at stake is simply evil. There’s no other word for it.

like that is the first time to fake reports? :face_with_monocle:

(Central Florida Bob ) #14

Sorry, it turned busy here and I didn’t get a chance to go find a reference. It took less time than I thought:

My impression at the time was that the guy engaged in the typical practice of throwing out data that “just didn’t seem right” and he wasn’t aware how wrong that was. That’s way too charitable. The article from 2000 (three year’s after my wife’s bone marrow transplant) plainly states he knew he was wrong.

On Feb. 3, the University of Witwaterwrand posted a news release on its Web site announcing the investigation of Dr. Bezwoda. It quoted a letter Dr. Bezwoda sent to colleagues on Jan. 30 admitting that he had ‘‘committed a serious breach of scientific honesty and integrity’’ and had misrepresented his results. Dr. Bezwoda has resigned from his university positions. A university spokeswoman, Martha Molete, said bluntly that Dr. Bezwoda had lied.

I remember that fork over knives documentary a decade ago and they shoved that casein protein in lab rats turned on and off cancer growth based on the percentage of protein in their diet after they developed cancer from aflatoxin exposure. Animal protein intake at 20% promoted cancer growth while there was no growth at 5%.
Dietary protein, growth factors, and cancer | The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

Here is a way how spoilt meat can sometimes cause cancer: Aflatoxin production in meats. I. Stored meats - PubMed (nih.gov)

Other than isolated plant protein powders that have been shown to promote cancer growth via increasing IGF-1. Whole food plant proteins have anti-cancer compounds. Carotenoids, polyphenols, etc.

I believe our individual choices of choosing quality food is way more important than what some oncologist is going to say because someone can continue eating poor quality meat and still die of cancer as we’ve seen.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Yes, so do I. If you believe that documentary, then I have nothing more to say.

My understanding is that meat promotes the growth of cancerous cells because of the high amount of protein(building blocks) that help cancer cells replicate.

I keep reading in the chat groups of my carb management app that cancer can’t live on ketones so ketones in the blood would protect us at least somewhat. And red meat can help us get more ketones in our blood.

Read @PaulL comment above. Is there a scientific research paper showing that red meat increases ketones?

Her diet doesn’t seem ketogenic since her daily protein intake was double than her baseline requirement. We know excess protein is converted to glucose and excess protein spikes IGF-1. Both feed cancer.

I don’t know how the majority of you eat lots of meat protein and still maintain ketosis. I believe Stephanie keto person on YouTube. How she tried a supposedly keto carnivore diet and reverted back to a keto omnivore diet because the carnivore diet was not ketogenic for her. She also had electrolyte issues.

Huh - I guess I interpreted Paul’s comment to mean he didn’t agree with that documentary.

I honestly don’t know about a study specifically for red meat, I just read that about cancer and ketosis a lot. I personally don’t believe red meat itself directly places actual ketones into our body, but I know what would happen to our bodies eating nothing more than an animal based diet and how it triggers the body to make those ketones through the burning of fat, unlike eating all the carbs marketed to us.

I myself am not solely a carnivore, probably never will be because I love my veggies and berries too much and a variety of flavors in my diet, but I do feel that animal based products are healthier than plant based. But I also know the ketogenic diet has ratios set for a reason, and if you exceed your protein by too much it will burn that before it burns fat. It has to stay balanced within the keto ratios with fat being the highest.