Red meat's risk of cancer jumped 36-fold in two years in GBD study

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

The key to staying in ketosis is the insulin/glucagon ratio. In a low-carb setting, the insulin response to dietary amino acids (protein) is matched by a compensatory glucagon response, keeping the insulin/glucagon ratio low, and keeping the body in ketosis. The notion that eating extra protein is like eating a candy bar has been shown to be wildly exaggerated; glucagon and insulin are not the only ways by which the body regulates serum glucose.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

You got that right. While it is possible to eat a vegan ketogenic diet, it takes careful planning and requires certain supplements that are simply unavailable in plant-sourced foods. So I respectfully decline to eat that way.

Furthermore, veganism started as part of a religion and is therefore part of a belief system that is not based on rational analysis or on actual data. There is nothing wrong with that, as an individual choice, but the moral and ethical and environmental reasons advanced for going vegan do not hold up well when examined critically, at least in my estimation. I also believe that one should not force one’s personal choices on others, however much we may feel those others would benefit. So for myself, I eat meat, since that is the healthiest food I know of, and it is the food we appear to have evolved to eat. Others will of course judge differently, and I salute them.

(Ethan) #24

I think it’s much more complicated than “conspiracy is real.” There are several types of players:

Conspirators: These players are pushing an agenda at all costs and trying to influence “science” and policy in any way possible, including neferiously

Convenient conspirators: These players play along with anything that goes in the direction they want. They don’t fight bad science that supports their desired outcome, but they don’t actively create it either.

Misled professionals: These are the doctors, scientists, nutritionists, etc., who learned from the bad studies and fake science pushed by the conspirators. They believe in their industry and what they were taught. They will reteach it to the next generation of misled professionals until it becomes dogma and nobody can even question it. They don’t do it on purpose, but they believe religiously in their practice—so much so that they cannot admit when they were wrong. The general population listens to the misled professionals for advice as if they were first-hand creators or discoverers of science. However, they are really getting their information second and third hand.

General population: This is most people. They listen to and take advice from the misled professionals. They believe the dogma as holy truth, unquestionable except by nut jobs. They can’t ever figure out why they won’t get healthy.

Inquisitive thinkers: This is the bulk of the keto community. They discovered from personal experience that what they were taught was wrong. They mostly come from the general population, but also can move from the misled professionals or even convenient conspirators. They question everything they thought was true, but hold to real science still. Sometimes they can be scammed or tricked because of their shattered faith in mainstream science though.

Supplement scammers: This group tries to take advantage of new inquisitive thinkers. They speak as if they are inquisitive thinkers, but are actually just seeking a profit. They market supplements and programs that are unnecessary or even actually harmful and frame it as opposite to the conspirator agenda.

Reverse conspirators: These players have an agenda also, but it’s to gain power and influence through the inquisitive thinkers. They know that inquisitive thinkers learned that they were lied to by conspirators. They capitalize on this distrust and tell people that everything the mainstream ever did was wrong. This is a fallacy, though, since doing one thing wrong doesn’t make all things done wrong.