Recipes for Animal Fat

I’m picking up 5 lbs of plain beef fat from the supermarket and am wondering if anyone has recipes for how to cook it. I don’t mean turn it into a cooking oil; I mean throw it on the grill and slap some parsley lol

Thank you!

I think you answered your own question. Also I’ve heard of people making tartare from it. Finely chopped, season it how you want, and put an egg yolk on top.

(Carl Keller) #3

Be prepared for lots of flames since pure fat burns rather well.

I would try to render it into tallow and use it as cooking oil.

The people Ive seen that grill their fat ([spoiler]Frank Tufano[/spoiler]) don’t cook it long. They just sear the outside for flavor.

(Carl Keller) #5

In one of my first jobs at a steakhouse, we used the fat cap off ribeye loins to oil the char broiler so steaks and chicken wouldn’t stick and to give better, cleaner grill marks. The flames would dance as the grease from the fat cap dripped and the more the fat the liquified, the smaller and blacker the fat caps got.

I’m not saying it can’t be done. I do love a good medium rare to medium steak but pure fat at 135-140 degrees will make me a bit queasy if I eat more than a fair amount.

(Running from stupidity) #6

It’s fat’s defense mechanism to stop people eating too much of it.

So it’s fat’s CICO, basically.

What’s “a fair amount” lol

I didn’t literally mean that I wanted to grill the fat on a barbecue grill (too much cleanup) but recipes for it in one’s kitchen. Can you stir fry it with vegetables or something? Blend it into a smoothie or make fat bombs with it?

(Windmill Tilter) #8

There is no finer way to rescue the lowly chicken breast than with a healthy dose of beef tallow. My preferred method is to add some otherwise fat free chicken breasts (egads!) into a crock pot or pressure cooker, add 2 oz fat for each 10oz of chicken. Toss in a few spices. Cook until the chicken can be pulled.

Behold! The transformation of otherwise useless chicken into a keto worthy feast. It’ll give pulled pork a run for it’s money. Works really well with bacon grease too. Not my pic but you get the idea. Here is a very bad recipe with ridiculous synthetic ingredients that should be ignored, but the process is the same.

(Carl Keller) #9

Hard to say since I know better than to test my limit. I just remember eating some really fatty pork ribs not too long ago. I would say it was 50/50 fat/meat and after about 4-5 ribs I was starting to feel a little nauseous. There were a few other similar occasions but it’s been long enough that I don’t remember the details.

(Doug) #10

2.5 lbs or less? That way you get 2 servings from 5 lbs. :grin:

Frankie boy doesn’t have a problem searing his lamb fat. You’re not cooking it, just searing the outside, like a blue steak.