Recipe failure....learn from my error

(Deb) #1

Today I tackled Carl’s Slow Cooked Pork Butt recipe. Having sampled this culinary delight on two occasions before, lets jjust say my culinary skills are a bit to be desired. I made one HUGE mistake. When I put the roast in the bag I put it skin side down and cooked it that way. I also didn’t put it on a rack. Needless to say my roast was not moist and tender like the ones Carl made. Lesson learned. I will try again, this is normally an awesome dish. Or @carl I can just pay him to make dinner for me. Lol. I will say my sauce came out awesome!!! Yummy. Thank goodness. It’s the only way we could have gotten the pork down our gullet. I am in the process of making Oopsie bread from a recipe on Food.com that included psyllium husk. I miss read the temperature… and baked on 150 C instead of 300 F. I should have realized something was off when my oven would only go down to 170 F. Though my mind seems clearer than it has in the past, since being on Keto…
Today was not my day. Hmmm I wonder how screwed up other days were and I didn’t even notice. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hey…we have all goofed up. I screwed up soooooo many things. It’s the way we learn and get better. People tell me what a great cook I am…well, that’s because they didn’t see and the eff ups of my past!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Deb) #3

Thanks for the encouragement. Getting used to making new things is like being a fish out of water. :bacon: I can do. Thank goodness.

(matt ) #4

Just keep cooking. Most mistakes are still edible. And you get to laugh about it later.

We have quite a few inside jokes about botched dishes.

(Deb) #5

Thanks Matt. I’m planning to keep trying new things. Just took my Oopsie bread out of the oven and it turned out great. Better I think than others I’ve tried. So I’m going to try and replicate my error. Cook on low (170F) for 20 minutes then turn up to 300F and cook for another 20 minutes. This batch was much firmer and not at all sticky. Who knows maybe this is a “new” oops. :sunglasses:

(Megan) #6

This morning I was making hard boiled eggs in the instant pot and forgot about them. They cooked for about 12 minutes more than they were supposed to. For dinner, I made chicken wings and my husband was supposed to flip them and put them back in the oven while I ran to the store. He did, but put them back in the wrong oven (we have a double oven). I threw out half the eggs and made more and the chicken was fine after it was actually cooked in a heated oven! Happens to us all.

(Deb) #8

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Lol. As long as we can keep laughing. Busy lives.

(Becky Searls) #9

Sooooo true!

(Patrick B.) #10

Fortunately, that is mostly true of all the people we think are great at something (some are just naturals). You didn’t see the 1000’s of mistakes they made to get there. What makes them great is they put in the effort to make those mistakes and learn from them. :slight_smile:

(Arlene) #11

Some of my best recipes were accidents. It’s my belief that many, many useful gadgets, recipes, procedures, etc. are the direct result of someone stumbling upon a “new” idea because they screwed up their original plan. Enjoy the ride. Who knows, some day you may be directing your own expert keto cooking show. :slight_smile:

OMG yes. The things I have had to eat! Or the dogs!!!