Rebel Ice Cream Review

food

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #41

Okay, I had it out for half an hour from the freezer, and it didn’t look significantly better, so I left it, and accidentally left it for half an hour more… so an hour out of the freezer. I was skeptical, scooping, because it didn’t look significantly changed, except for the large melty amount around the edges. Scooped just like real ice cream.

Taste is pretty good. A bit sweet for my palette, but I’m 10 months in, and I tend to get more sensitive to sweetness as time passes on LC. I portioned out the ice cream, put the pint back in the freezer, and this is probably the key to not going face down in a pint and turning up with sugar alcohol induced rumble guts.

Since the visual appearance in the pint case didn’t change with additional time, it might’ve been fine at half an hour. Something to check on the final serving in my first pint. But the extra half hour allows the satiety to really kick in hard, which might also be key to not going face down in the stuff.

I rate this much better when properly defrosted. It’s still not super premium, like B&J or HD. It’s got too much air. But the mint chip isn’t a bad replacement for Talenti Mediterranean Mint, which is pretty airy for a super premium (if you’re curious, next time you’re at the store, pick up a B&J pint, a HD pint and a Talenti pint, all similar flavors, ideally without mixins, and see how much lighter the Talenti is… then put them all back, faithful ketonaut). I rate it as pretty dangerous though. High temptation for doing a whole pint. Fortunately, the only real downside to that is about 30 grams of sugar alcohol.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #42

That’s consistent with what I have found with the chocolate… It’s best to err on the side of defrosting more than you think you should.

It’s still good when less defrosted, just not as good as it can be.

Dont buy the mint chocolate chip. It is terrible.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #44

Found this old thread and thought I’d add my 2 cents.

I discovered Rebel last weekend on a trip to DC. The mint chip and chocolate flavours were both good and didn’t spike my blood glucose. Impressive.

Yesterday I went to one of the only two locations in Manhattan that stocks it (!) and there are a bunch of new flavours. The best of them are as follows: triple choc and salted caramel (both excellent) as well as mint chip which is the best of the old flavours imho.

I have consumed far too much of the stuff in the past 24 hours and I feel kind of fat. I am a compulsive overeater with such products though. I never really missed ice cream but it’s nice to know in future I can treat myself to this if I’m in the mood to “cheat” with sweet stuff, without the guilt of crushing some full-sugar product.

My “terrible” comment was in response to Wink “ice slush with added flavors”. Rebel has some great choices, and the net carbs per pint cannot be beat. Add some pecans to the salted caramel, its delicious!!