Rebel Ice Cream Review

food

(Daisy) #21

I looked it up and guar gum has 9 grams of fiber, so it sounds like that may be our answer!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #22

Just received the case of chocolate I ordered.

Only gripe is that with being packed in dry ice, it was hard as a rock, even after 20 minutes on the counter.

But it’s delicious. And even my two sons who are not keto liked it a lot. May have to fight then for it. Or just buy more, I guess.

Bonus… Fun experiments with dry ice.

I may email them to ask if they’re using food grade dry ice. Could be fun to make some dry ice ice cream for comparison.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #23

The instructions note to give it 30 minutes after dry ice at room temp. 15 from freezer temp.

(Sophie) #24

I’d rather have that than a pile of foam leaking out of the shipping box! :smile:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #25

No doubt. As gripes go, it’s a very minor one. :grin:

(Glenda) #26

The chickory root extract is a fiber. It is the same stuff that they put in Fiber One granola bars and brownies and other products. I would say be careful if you eat a lot of it- I don’t know what the quantity is compared to the fiber one products but I have heard it causes very bad gas and intestinal distress for some people.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #27

Those are generally known symptoms of over consumption of sugar alcohols. Which, the So Delicious also has. I wonder if it’s the chicory root extract or the erythritol that’s giving the rumble guts.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #28

I gave my first pint of mint chip a go last night. Perhaps it was under defrosted, but, while not being rock hard, it reminded me most of “Astronaut Ice Cream”, like it had been freeze dried. A bit crumbly, when scooped. And light.

The Rebel ice cream is very light, which, if you used to be a Haagen Daaz or Ben and Jerry afficianato, you might find disappointing. If you know anything about ice cream, you’d know it can be whipped full of about 50% air, and still be sold as ice cream in the US. I’d guess this is 50% air, at least.

I found the flavor to be a bit overly sweet at the start, but my sweet sense dialed down a bit after a bite or two. The mint flavor is pretty good. It’s not overpowering, and tastes very naturally minty. Not like chewing gum, but more like chewing on mint leaves. The chocolate chips are really pretty good, but likely a solid source of sugar alcohol, so a strong deterrent to eating a pint at a sit.

I like the stuff. I don’t like it enough to want more than maybe a third of a pint at a sitting, which might actually make me like the product more.

(Glenda) #29

I am not sure on the case of the ice cream, but I do know too much of the chickory root can have that effect too. My experience with the chickory root has been limited to the fiber one products, which I believe just have regular sugar and no Sugar alcohol. They had some bad side effects (mostly extremely bad gas) if you eat more than one, and it was a pretty common joke in weight watchers meetings.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #30

I would vote for under-defrosted. I tried some last night after defrosting for around 45 min at room temp, and it was amazing. Night and day difference in flavor and texture from when I had it earlier, when it was still really solid. If it’s hard to scoop, you probably want it softer.

And I confess, I ate the whole pint. And it did seem to provoke some minor got rumbling, but not as bad as with something like maltitol.

(Bob M) #31

That’s good news, as maltitol and I don’t get along, at all.

Thanks for your thorough honest review.

I like coconut cream ice cream, super yum.

3-Ingredient Coconut Ice Cream

2 (13-oz.) cans of unsweetened coconut cream
1/2 cups sugar substitute, I like swerve
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Replace the word vegan with keto, hah.

Makes about 1 quart

Sounds like it would be good even without sweetners :slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #35

I will try a longer defrost on my next go.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #36

A long time ago, back when she was in high school, I dated Hungry Mouse. Slushed is an amazing, if carb and booze heavy cookbook, and her website is fantastic, though not really keto.

I make a 3 ingredient ice cream that I like pretty nicely… it’s a weight of frozen berries, a weight of heavy cream poured over, a packet of equal (or less), and immersion blend it until it looks about right.

I have written my review of Rebel above, but reserve the right to revise my opinion, with more defrost time. I’m also tempted to see if the Rebel will make a worthwhile milkshake.

Wow, I picked a recipe of your ex, what are the chance! :slight_smile:

I purchased some Rebel ice cream from local store today - purchased chocolate and mint chocolate. Had a few spoon fulls of the chocolate - was super hard to scoop out but flavor was pretty good. Im also going to try to defrost it some more!

It does. I used Chocolate Rebel + HWC. Flavor is Dutch Cocoa malty and a little like a Wendy’s Frosty (only better). I can’t think of regular ice cream that is much better. I didn’t let it thaw enough the first time but was so desperate I used a knife to get it out. Didn’t matter since I was blending it.

(Bob M) #39

If I could buy one pint locally, I would do so, but buying a case is too much. My personal downfalls (and what got me to where I have to be keto to correct my body) are beer, pizza, and ice cream, in that order. I haven’t had a beer in so long I can’t remember. Pizza is now easier to ignore as (a) most of it is crap and (b) if it’s not crap, it causes me chest congestion, asthma, and allergies. Every time, the day after. I try to have ice cream only for birthdays, and then we buy a small ice cream cake that the family eats in one sitting. Or we go somewhere to get a scoop. No leftovers. We just had a birthday party this past Friday, my wife got the small cake but also got a quart. Not only did I have a large piece but also ate more out of the quart. It was all I could do to not have another.

To me, ice cream is like yogurt – it’s just going to add extra calories that I don’t need and won’t be able to overcome. And, when I first started with low carb, I tried eating sweets, then I realized that eating sweets (even fake sweets) still causes an insulin response, if not a blood sugar response, and makes me want to overeat and causes me to be hungry.

If they get it in a store near me, I’ll buy it for those times like Thanksgiving and Christmas and birthdays. But I’m too weak to buy a case.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #40

I get all that. I got the case partially because ice cream is a thing I have no chill with. I didn’t have it yesterday and had a rational serving the first time. It’s tryibg to stress test my “sobriety.”

But mostly because the per pint cost and shipping only make sense for buying a case.