Reasons to Limit Dairy?

I don’t think I have seen an EXPLANATION for limiting dairy. I have seen it as a recommendation for people who have stalled, and I have heard Dr. Westman et. al. saying they limit their patients on dairy in the beginning. However, from looking at macros, cheese and butter seem to be the best ways to get extra fat. What’s the science behind this recommendation?

New to Keto, might need some insights
(Ethan) #2

I think some people may have inflammatory responses or not tolerate them well.

This is not by any means an all-inclusive explanation, but I suspect that it’s the quantity of dairy consumed that can be a problem for many. People are not very good at gauging how much heavy whipping cream, half n’ half, or cheese they are putting down their gullets (yours truly included in my early days). Some will argue that calories don’t matter at all, but I do not find that to be true (I won’t debate it here as practically every keto and low-carb guru we know addresses the role of calories at some point in their books, articles, or podcasts, and one can read or listen as desired). Calories are not the primary concern or focus, but I find from observing my journey and those of thousands of others that they will eventually matter when it comes to ongoing weight loss. I mention this becauseI’ve seen many instances where ketoers were on accident consuming in the upper hundreds of calories on dairy alone (excluding their other food intake for the day) without realizing it. Something to ponder…

(CharleyD) #4

from the Metabolic Approach to Cancer:
Depending on genetics, people have a harder time digesting Casein A1 or A2 in milk.
A1 is the usually more inflammatory one, is highest in Holstein cows and Holsteins make more milk.
A2 is usually the more tolerated one, and is highest in Jersey, Guarnsey and Normade breeds.

(CharleyD) #5

CaseinA1-Issues

(Lesley) #6

I noticed a pattern the first couple of months of keto in that whenever I had full fat greek yogurt and/or cheese my weight loss would stall and when I abstained I lost weight again. Butter and goat’s milk (which I think is the similar to drinking A2 milk that CharleyD mentioned) doesn’t hinder at all. I agree that over eating of cheese is easy to do but I know that wasn’t the case with me as in the early days I was a little fanatical about weighing everything I ate.

Edit: I mostly use goat’s butter. Tastes delicious.

(Ethan) #7

Cheese would be the factor that breaks the camel’s back. I can’t give up cheese.

(Lesley) #8

Ditto to that!

(Marie Dantoni) #9

So, I have decided to reduce dairy to speed up results. Aside from the extra calories (oops, did I say that ?) Is there a physiological reason why it is bad for weight loss in some ? Is it the type of protein ? I’m still doing butter, cream and a little parmesan.

(Lesley) #10

I’ve been wondering about that too. I was thinking about cutting out all dairy for a while just to see what happens with arthritis. Just based on all I’ve heard about people often with inflammatory conditions doing better without it. But at the same time I’m trying to not lose any more weight and chugging down double cream these days in attempt to get my food intake (see I didn’t say the C word) up.

(Marie Dantoni) #11

Ive noticed that dropping all that lovely cheese has cleared up congestion, but I could easily live with a little congestion if doing away with cheeses doesn’t get the results I’m after.

(CharleyD) #12

Congestion may be a symptom of a mild inflammation brought on by your immune system. You may have best results cutting out the dairy :frowning:

(Lesley) #13

I love cheese and reluctant to give it up too. The benefits would have to be big to make me stay off of it. I’m so close to experimenting by cutting it all out for a while but without it my food choices seem limited. Especially with me wanting to keep the weight stable.

I have heard somewhere on my travels around youtube that they (the docs) mention that once you heal a leaky-gut you can often go back to dairy at a later date and have no problems. Fingers crossed!!

(Marie Dantoni) #14

That makes me sad…need an adjustment period…thanks Charley.

(Lesley) #15

Yeah I’ve heard that too!

(Ethan) #16

I do eat a lot of goat cheeses…maybe that is an option to move to also

(Lesley) #17

I’m feeling your pain!

(CharleyD) #18

Not all hope is lost, just have to find cheeses from other than Holstein cows, or ones that don’t trigger Casein A1 issues.

(Lesley) #19

Oh the butter is gorgeous. I get St.Helen’s farm brand here in the UK. I also use their milk to make kefir. I did try goat’s cheese and just hated it. It was very mild and dry/crumbly … Is that normal @EZB? The supermarket only had the one type to try. Wasn’t impressed.

(Marie Dantoni) #20

Thanks I’ll look into that.