Ready to Quit

(Fabien Paillusson) #65

Hello. For the sake of it I have tried to input a typical day of the OP in Carb Manager. Here is what comes out is this

Of course portion sizes are ones I found reasonable.
Bottom line is that each of the food you eat are great for keto but 1) you may be eating too many proteins and 2) you could be eating too frequently.
People who feel great on keto usually feel the best after a 12 or 16h fast. That’s mostly when you are in a fasted state that you will burn fat. If you eat all day long there is no opportunity for body fat to burn at all unless you are in caloric restriction.
So, as many have advised, I would recommend trying to eat less frequently especially increasing gap between last food intake and breakfast and eating less proteins.
Salt intake might be something easy to fix too. Personally salting my food is not enough for me (I am at 1.5 meal/day) and I drink some form of salty water.
Money wise you may try to replace ribeye by bacon for at least half of your days. Most of your budget must go in ribeye if it’s organic and you eat it almost every day.
That’s my 2 cents.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #66

@Fabien_Paillusson Carb manager is my App too. I love it.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Oh by the way, welcome to the forum.:heart::heart:

Maybe give carnivore (zero carb) a go for the next couple of weeks seeing as you are struggling so much. You then don’t need to worry about macros and tracking carbs at all. Very simple, just eat (fatty) meat (and for me cheese and eggs also) when hungry and eat until full. I guarantee it will stop your grazing, cost a lot less than your current keto efforts and will set you on the right path a lot quicker. If you then choose to add back in some carbs/veg and stick with keto great, that is your call or you may be like me and find that carnivore helps a lot more and is sooo much easier and yet also gives far more positives.

(Brian) #68

I confess, I didn’t read every comment. I kinda got stuck at the list of daily eating.

The very first thing that came to mind, you’re (or you were?) eating WAY too often. All of the small meals, they need to go. If you’re eating 2 meals and 3 snacks a day, cut that down. If you need a snack, you didn’t eat enough in your last meal. A bunch of us eat 2 meals a day, some 1 meal a day. Some even fast a day a week. Sometimes it varies but I don’t know of anyone who’s been keto for any length of time that’s eating 5 or 6 meals a day. If you’re that hungry that you can’t go for more than just a few hours without more food, you are not fat adapted. It’s not necessarily easy in the beginning, I get that. Giving up, though, doesn’t really even tell you what would have happened 'cause if you aren’t fat adapted, you’ve never made it to the point where you can experience keto.

I tend to agree with the idea of going either carnivore or very close to it. That cuts down on a lot of things that may have more carbs than you’d realize.

But hey, that’s just what came to my mind. We’re all different. I only had a few days when I didn’t feel so great but within a couple of weeks, the weight started falling off like I’d never seen before. And the rest is history. Have been mostly keto for a little less than 3 years. I do sometimes get more carbs than keto generally allows, such as when we have a pot roast and there are a few carrots and potatoes in there. I just don’t get that excited about that stuff anymore. It’s not all the time. I have total carnivore meals at times. I rarely pay much attention to the scale anymore, either. My clothes tell me all I need to know. But that comes in time, at least for some of us. The beginning is nearly always hard, harder for some than others.

Anyway, if you’ve quit, good luck with whatever you go to. If you’re hanging in there, good luck! I hope you find what works for you.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #69

I’d add to @Bellyman’s nice comment that many ketoers do eat 3 meals a day. 3 meals is better than 2 meals and 2 snacks. That said, I did snack for a long time. I’d get a small bag of nuts or a piece of dried fish on the way home from work. I found in time the desire went away.

I’d also like to wish you well on your health journey whether keto or another way.

(Susan) #70

Welcome to the forum, Fabien --so everyone notices that you are a new member, feel free to make an introduction thread of your own too --we love having new members =).

(David Jones) #71

It’s not for everyone. Good luck!

Relying on this chart I would say OP is eating way too much protein and not enough fat. The protein ratio I like (although opinions diverge on this) is .8 gram per kilo of lean body mass (ideal weight). Some will say up to 1.5 grams per lb (so there is huge variation). Under that metric 158g is fine but I would say it should be less but I am not a doctor. 61% at seems low too

(Keto Koala 🐨) #73

@David_jones Why would you say that to a brand new person!!! We are supposed to be encouraging them, not discouraging them. Let them make up their own mind whether it’s for them or not. But after just 3 or so weeks, how could they possibly know whether it’s for them or not??

(Keto Koala 🐨) #74

@Keto4CFS_ME Yeah man!!! Carnivore rocks!!! I’ve just jumped back on the meat train myself.:lion::cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat:

(DHrec) #75

An update as such…
I’m now day 30 and this week I’ve been concentrating on the no snacks and more or less a carnivore diet to minimise carbs.
Typical…
Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, black coffee, half an avocado
Lunch - sirloin steak, water
Dinner - beef liver, ground beef, water
It’s been much the same the whole week and I’ve salted everything plus took a magnesium and cod liver oil supplement.
I’m walking at least 5 miles per day also.
Must admit I’m stressed and my sleep ain’t great but I’m trying.
Weight loss this week - zero

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #76

Thanks for letting us know. Hang in there.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #77

@Diego86 Yes hang in there and thanks for the update. Your body is probably healing. The results will come. Keep calm and Keto on. Your doing great. Try not to get discouraged. :heart::heart::heart:

(Scott H.) #78

FWIW, I think that intermittent fasting is the key to weight loss. I know that’s super simplistic and that any one of us could add a number of asterisks, but my experience is that it just works. I am a guy, and I know that this makes a difference, but the clear recipe, in my experience is:

1. Keep at least a 16/8 eating window, eating once a day.
  2. Eat keto and very, very little out of a box or bag (with the exception of pork rinds).
  3. Get good sleep.
  4. No cheat days.
  5. Plan that every time alcohol is consumed in any quantity, there is a mini-stall of about two days.
  6. Do things to reduce stress, like driving without loud music, going outside, listening to music deliberately, spending enough time praying.

This just works for me. It’s like a spigot. If these things are on, weight loss arrives.

Best of luck to you. I’m two years in and 100+ down; I can’t tell you how much better life is without inflammation and without self-consciousness.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #79

@ScottNebraska I agree with you about the intermittent fasting. I do OMAD and I really enjoy doing that. From the fasting I’m less hungry. Congrats on your weightloss. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

I know this is going to sound like an excuse but stress by itself can raise insulin and or delay or prevent weight loss. Also, I do wonder about your protein consumption.

Maybe try a fat fast. I do not have a good one to suggest. Good luck

(Todd) #81

I returned to following Robb Wolf and his Keto Masterclass. I increased my salt 4-6 grams of salt. From then on, I sleep better at night, I don’t have the cramps and it has increased my energy.

I take a BP Med and I thought I shouldn’t add salt…boy was I wrong.

(Carl D Black) #82

I’m sorry if this has already been said but, put simply, three weeks is meaningless as far as weight loss goes. If you are obese, chances are you have insulin resistance. IF you have insulin resistance it takes sometimes months to heal. IF you have IR (insulin resistance) you have higher than normal levels of insulin and it is INSULIN that stores fat and makes it impossible to burn it. If you really want this to work you have to do exactly THREE things: 1- Don’t stop or give up, 2- Reduce carbs to 20g or less/day (assuming you are doing that), keep your protein around 100g/day depending on amount of physical activity, and healthy fats are adjustable depending on fat burning inducement phase and reduction over time to allow your body to burn more of its OWN stores. You just have to experiment with it to get it right for YOU. As to spending tons of money? Not necessary! I shop at Walmart. I try to eat organic, but it really isnt that necessary. Just eat natural whole foods. Stay away from packaged as it can contain MSG and hidden sugars which will slow or stall your progress. And 3- you MUST do intermittent fasting to reduce the FREQUENCY of eating over time. Measure and weigh no more than once per week. Reassess after 1, 2 and 3 months. Adjust fasting times and macros as needed.

(Susan) #83

This is a great post, Carl, you covered all the bases and I wish I could give it more then one like.

(Nancy Gibson) #84

Oh hon. I don’t wish to scare you, but it took over 6 months of strictly observant keto before I lost weight. I lost inches, but not pounds. Even then, I needed some intermittent fasting to kickstart my weight loss.

It sounds like you’re making good food decisions, so maybe work on your stress? When I feel myself getting extremely tight and clenched, I do a breathing exercise. I start with inhaling 1-2-3-4, then holding that breath 1-2-3-4-5-6, then exhaling 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8. Then start again, inhale 4 beats, hold 6 beats, exhale 8 beats. Do this 3 or 4 times. Also, try meditation. YouTube has lots of mindful meditations online, but all you really need to do is spend 5 to 15 minutes paying attention to your breath. Breath normally, in and out like always, only pay attention to the way it sounds, the way it feels. Count your breaths if that helps you to concentrate. Your mind will wander to groceries or work or this or that or whatever. It’s ok, it’s not a bad thing. Pull your attention back to your breathing, refocus each time you notice your mind has wandered. Set a timer on your phone. I do it in the morning after coffee, but if you’ve been having trouble falling asleep maybe you should meditate just before bed.

Lots of people think they can’t meditate, they can’t focus, can’t concentrate. But the mental exercise isn’t about successfully concentrating. The exercise is in refocusing. Each time you pull your attention back into focus it’s like a mental wrist curl.

Try not to worry about food and eating. Eat food you enjoy, enjoy your food. If you already know all this stuff, sorry!!

Nancy