Ready to Quit

(aka Darius) #44

My guy, you’re thinking about it too much. There’s no need to spend so much on the very best products. Just get cheap stuff till you get fat adapted, it doesn’t really make that much of a difference. You don’t need to shell out so much money if you can’t. I suggest going carnivore to accelerate the process and ease into keto. Easy diet. Hungry? Eat meat/eggs till full. Drink Water. Add salt & pepper and nothing else.

If you get into the Keto diet directly with sugar substitutes, you’re only going to get cravings. Cut the bulletproof stuff, you don’t need breakfast. DO NOT SNACK. Trust me, coming from personal experience, it will F*** you over big time in the long run.

(Polly) #45

I love your post. Thank you!

£450??? What are you buying? When I “splurge” on a Waitrose shopping, I spend maybe £150 a month. Tesco etc is even cheaper. When I am on a budget, I can get a months groceries from LIDL for £100. Are you buying a lot of “packaged processed keto foods”…because unless you are food shopping at Harrods…I can’t see what exactly you will need £450 for.

You have already been given a lot of good advise and the only thing I could possibly add is to watch the pork rinds ingredients. There is like only one brand in the UK that doesn’t add some sort of starch or carbs to the rinds.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #47

Yup. And I ate 85% chocolate a lot more often when I was losing than I do now. It wasn’t planned. I just stopped feeling like it as often. Same with the berries.

I’ve never been into making keto sweets. When I first started a friend gifted me a bottle of liquid stevia and I used it in keto crepes till it ran out. They taste the same to me without it anyway, so why bother? I never liked sweet coffee anyway. I mostly just eat whole foods. No fuss.

Regarding the OP’s weight gain. I’m confident he can find his own balance. Knowing that different people have success in different ways is helpful. It is also important to note that gaining weight at first does not always mean someone is doing something wrong. Many people gain at first while their body is healing, and then lose with great success later.

@Ruina
What makes you think that I dont think that Diego can find his own balance? I just hope he finds it before he gives up!!!

I’m sorry you’re doing badly, but the reality is that you do NOT need to be buying the “very best”, you do NOT need to be buying Organic, you do NOT need to overload on supplements unless you actually have a deficiency in something you can’t correct with diet. Many people go into this way of eating with a very warped idea (thank the internet) of how it “MUST” be done, and that’s bullshit!

The lethargy is telling is very simply you’re not powering your body correctly. We could very easily help with that, but without a detailed diet of what you’ve been doing, what your current stats are, physical activity level etc it’s impossible to guess.

What I’d recommend rather than just giving up is rethinking why you wanted to eat this way? I feel it’s a safe assumption for fat loss, look better, feel better, have better energy, and most importantly be healthier. That’s all still 100% possible. I’d also remind yourself that the “other” aka “normal” way of eating clearly didn’t work, that’s FACT. This way of eating does NOT bankrupt you! Yes, there are super food snobs out there that have the old Paleo thoughts of everything Organic, Grass Fed, pastured, blah blah blah. That’s all well and dandy with those that have money to burn… MOST of us do not! Also, 3 weeks is VERY early to just give up on something! We can help and tweak all day long if you’re open to get this thing working. Let us know.

(sarah) #50

Well heres the thing, my husband and myself have both lost weight, him 2 stone and me 1 stone, we are now at our optimal weights for health. We have never weighed anything we ate, but cut all the crap out of our diets and our cupboards! We are very impressed with the keto lifestyle diet and do not eat sugar either. We have cut out all processed foods too. Sadly in the epidemic we cannot get organic fresh foods, but we are still eating the healthiest we have ever eaten.
However… I have suffered keto flu for 3 months despite losing weight and now found out that I haven’t had the keto flu at all…Sadly I have MS. So my message is that this diet works, but DO NOT dismiss symptoms of keto flu out of hand, always get checked over by a doctor. The dizziness was my trigger to check, but I thought it was a B12 deficiency nothing like MS.

(Susan) #51

Welcome to the forum, Sarah -I am so sorry about your MS --we have a health section on our forum (if you want to make a post on there about that) there might be others that can weigh in with ideas that might help for your disease from their own experience of loved ones with MS as well.

Take care, and I wish you the best, =).

Is it possible at all that you’re just ill? Not necessarily the 'rona, but maybe a cold or flu? That can really take it out of you, keto or no keto.

Also, I do agree with the people here who don’t like any of the contents of your late snack. But is that decaf coffee you’re taking with it?

(Sunny S) #53

Hi, I really understand the tiredness!!! I have been on Keto for 15 months. Both my husband and I eat this way and we always stay under 20 to 30 carbs a day. 30 rarely! Only three times have we completely been out of ketosis. I feel my best when I have had a good meal, plenty of good fat and enough protein around 2 -3 PM. Can fast until at least noon the next day. Then, usually I feel pretty good and energetic during that day. That is rare, however. Most of the time, I’m fatigued, often foggy. I take great supplements. For example, Magnesium, Activated B-Complex, Potassium, Ubiquinol (for migraines), Curcumin, and I could go on and on… We I have changed things up to see what would work. I usually get good sleep. I am so tired, I can hardly exercise. I’m not sure if I need to have my thyroid checked again. The doctor had to cut it in half because after going on Keto, I didn’t need as much. I do have much more mental clarity overall. My husband and I started Keto due to neurological and physical issues, not to lose weight. My fatty liver is completely gone now!!! I was also pre-diabetic.That was gone after the first month. I also do electrolytes every day. Trace minerals with fulvic acid. None of this is overdone either. We do eat good food. Fifteen months and I still tired. I don’t get it. I did have some crazy physical things over the last four years that I am having to maybe still recover from. Not sure. Salt and fat is extremely important for me. I lost weight I didn’t need to the first year, but figured out that I needed more protein, not too much, but enough to keep me from going under 108 lbs. I am 5’3" and now weigh about 111 lbs. I am 64 years old. My husband is strong and doesn’t have the major fatigue problem that I do. My doctors can’t figure anything other than recovering from the unusual physical problems I experienced. One of those things was a bad reaction to Botox shots in my head for terrible chronic migraines. Won’t go into the unbelievable problems that caused in my entire body. Extremely rare! I also had viral meningitis a couple years before that. Then there were other things I won’t go into. I am on very, very few medications compared to six years ago. I don’t think I could be much “healthier!” I have thought of going up to 50 grams of carbs per day to see if that would help, but my health has improved so much, I don’t want to risk anything. I just don’t understand the crazy fatigue and tiredness. I understand the feeling. It’s weird since I am so “fat adapted.” Oh well, I sure do hope you can hang in there. Most people are NOT like me! Take care. :heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #54

@Baka Word!!! That’s really great advice.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::v::ok_hand:

(DHrec) #55

Thank you so much for the reply!
I’m taking all advice onboard and your post and advice is very much appreciated, thank you :heart:

I used to be so exhausted when I ate all those carbs. I would eat a carb meal and then need to take a nap!
But I forgot to mention I also take pills: vitamins and a mineral pill to cover the magnesium etc.

(Todd Chester) #58

Diego!

If you are tired (called the Keto Flu), you need to double your (pink) salt intake. Fat takes twice the salt to metabolize!

-T

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #59

I don’t believe that salt is necessary for fatty acid metabolism. At least, I’ve never heard that before. Do you have a reference to support this idea?

There is, of course, evidence that we need quite a bit more salt than is advised by most governmental recommendations (the U.S. salt limit is dangerously low, for example). The PURE study, for example, confirmed by a couple of others that came out around the same time, suggests that the healthiest sodium intake is 4-6 grams/day, which translates to 10-15 grams/day of table salt (sodium chloride). Keeping salt in balance helps the body also regulate calcium, magnesium, and potassium. I’ve just never heard that salt has any connection with fatty acid metabolism.

(Polly) #60

Sorry I had a blond moment there when reading your post @ToddAndMargo, you wrote “(pink) salt” and I read “(pink) gin” - I think I need to go and lie down in the shade for a while before reading any more!

(CAROLYN C CRAMOY) #61

I would second the recommendation to check that you are getting enough salt and potassium, that you are not dehydrated, that you are not consuming more than about 20% of your calories from protein, and that you are getting adequate fiber and avoiding hidden carbs.

This is not an easy diet to mange properly unless you understand the things that can sabotage you. But, I am sorry to see you give up just as you are approaching the point where many people transition to physiologic adaptation.

(Todd Chester) #62

I first heard about it from Dr. Ken Berry, but it is all over the place out there. I went to find his links on you tube and got overwhelmed with hits as he waxes eloquent about salt. On the video I could not relocate, he details the amount of salt you need on keto. There are several link out there that talk about it, but don’t give links to research.

A little pink salt water before bed gets rid of my leg cramps and limit my bathroom breaks to once a night.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #63

False. Salt does get depleted by low carb diets, though, because your insulin levels are lower. Nothing to do with fat requiring salt.

(Todd Chester) #64

Hi Ellenor,

Dietary sodium restriction exacerbates age-related changes in rat adipose tissue and liver lipogenesis.

To investigate the effects of prolonged dietary sodium restriction on lipid metabolism, male rats weighing 35 to 40 g (just weaned) were fed either a low-salt (LSD) or a normal salt diet (NSD) and used in metabolic experiments after 1, 2, or 3 months of diet consumption. After 2 and 3 months on the diet, LSD rats showed increased amounts of lipid in carcass and retroperitoneal tissue. In both LSD and NSD, extending the feeding period from 2 to 3 months resulted in a marked reduction in the in vivo rates of adipose tissue fatty acid synthesis that was accompanied by increases in liver lipogenesis and in the activity of adipose tissue lipoprotein lipase (LPL). However, these increases were more marked in LSD rats. Thus, in vivo rates of liver fatty synthesis and LPL activity in LSD rats, which were already higher (by about 35% and 20%, respectively) than in controls after 2 months, attained levels 50% higher than those in NSD animals after another month on the diet. Brown adipose tissue (BAT) thermogenic capacity, estimated after 2 and 3 months by the tissue temperature response to norepinephrine (NE) injection and by guanosine diphosphate (GDP) binding to BAT mitochondria, did not change in controls, but was significantly reduced in LSD rats. This raises the possibility that a decrease in overall energy expenditure, together with an LPL-induced increased uptake of preformed fatty acids from the circulation, may account for the excessive lipid accumulation in LSD rats. Taken together, the data indicate that prolonged dietary sodium restriction exacerbates normal, age-related changes in white and BAT metabolism.