Ready to Quit

(DHrec) #1

I’m sorry guys but this way of life is not for me. The tiredness and daily struggle has me beating. I started this to lose excess weight and gain energy but having spent around £450 on the very best of organic foods, salmon, avocado, eggs, cheese,chicken thighs, grass fed butter, supplements etc etc etc The lethargy is like nothing I’ve ever experienced before and 5 mins ago I tried on the t-shirt I was going to use as a guide to my overall change in figure and guess what…it’s tighter than ever! This was meant to be motivational for me and a new way of life but if I’m going to feel unwell AND gain size and weight while it costing me a fortune then I’m sorry but I just can’t go on. I’ve not cheated once but after 3 weeks I should really feel and look better not worse, right?

There is a transition phase when your body switches from running on glucose to running on fat. Not knowing your daily intake makes it difficult to give any advice. You could google “keto flu” and maybe get some answers. My first guess is always electrolytes - are you getting enough electrolytes.?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I don’t know where you shop or really GB currency and prices but I’m going to guess that if you spent £150 per week feeding yourself that sounds like a lot of food! And without a closer analysis of what you’re eating daily it’s hard to troubleshoot for you. The lethargy could be a couple of things. Usually I would say not enough food is a possibility. The next is not enough fats. Next is you’re in carb limbo land. Not keeping it quite low enough to be in ketosis either because of not measuring accurately or eating too many hidden carbs, or just too high a percentage of plant foods. Next would be not enough salt and staying properly hydrated, not too much or too little.

If you’re undecided about quitting and are hoping for help you will get it. Post an example of your daily menu and portions. Your age, sex, height , weight, and expectations about goal weight. :cowboy_hat_face:

(DHrec) #4

Yes, I have avocado everyday and supplement with magnesium and cod liver oil capsules. I also salt all my foods and take a teaspoon of nutritional yeast complex for added b vitamins.
Typical
Breakfast - Bulletproof coffee, 1 medium avocado
Lunch - salmon or 2 beef burgers,2 eggs, asparagus, mushrooms, spinach and kale
Mid afternoon snack - 2 packs pork rinds
Tea - ribeye steak, 2 slices cheese, asparagus, spinach, kale
Late snack - cherry tomatoes, walnuts, almond milk coffee

Ok first thing I see is the late night snack. Carbs late at night (cherry tomato, almond milk depends on brand and ingredients) should probably go. I always feel better if I stop eating by 6 or 7 (not that I always do). Each time you eat, even if it is keto, still causes a minor insulin spike and the production of insulin causes you to retain fat instead of burning it. I would try to reduce your eating window to 8 or 10 hours a day if you can and eat twice a day, no snacks if you can. You should find that you really do not want all that food anyway. Other than coffee I often forget to eat. Read Jason Fung on this he has excellent explanations.

As for the cost of food, I agree that 185 (add 25% to GBP to convert to USA) for one person to eat is quite a lot. I buy mostly organic and feed 7 people (not all of whom are keto) and I spend about $400 a week or less. Organic chicken is quite cheap, I get my meat from an online service that promises it is grass fed or at Costco or similar. Organic eggs have come down in price and I am usually ok with them being free range, I do not care if they are organic. With fruit and vegetables with a skin I do not worry about organic quite as much. Plus you would be paying the premium even if you were not eating keto if you are concerned about organic. Note organic is not a keto requirement. Obviously if you can, great but plenty of people do well with conventional meat and I think Dr. Westman talks about his patient that lost tons eating the burgers at McDonalds without any accompaniment

(DHrec) #6

I do plan on trying intermittent fasting but right now I’m constantly feeling hungry and even going 4 - 6 hrs without food is challenging. Yes, I looked at lots of videos by Thomas Delauer and he spoke about eating as clean and healthy as I can afford. I decided to invest in my heath by eating only the best of foods I can but will maybe ease off with the organic and premium once I finally start feeling energised and burning stored fat for fuel I’m aged 45 with about 70lbs to lose.

Looks like too many carbs (20 is your daily goal) and too much food overall but not enough fat. The more carbs you eat, the more food you want.

(DHrec) #8

I’m under 20g every day according to the packaging labels on the foods. I do measure everything apart from the avocado.

While I would not recommend it now with the Covid 19 issue (I find I am more prone to viruses when I fast, there are other posts on this), one way to stop hunger is to fast. I know it sounds counter intuitive and the first few times may be hard but eventually you lose some of your appetite and do not mind skipping food. It is 8PM where I am and so far today I have had a few walnuts, some peanut butter and 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream. I keep thinking I should eat something else but not in the mood to make anything.

You may be eating too much without enough fat as @velvet said. Also what is in your coffee? There are many recipes. If it is just butter, full cream or coconut oil ok but make sure there are no artificial sweeteners, those will make you hungry too. Also try some eggs at breakfast instead of lunch, may help, should not hurt

(DHrec) #10

Yes, I add grass fed butter, coconut oil and heavy cream to my coffee but also add a stevia tablet.
I also must add that instead of the cherry tomatoes I sometime have walnuts or macadamia nuts in the evening before bed with my almond coffee. I look at the carb rating and can eat more than I planned to sometimes also.
As I say though, this is new to me I’m almost always hungry every 4 or so hours.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #11

I was always hungry when I started, when did you start??? It took me a few weeks to lose that crazy appetite. I’m into Keto three months now and can go hours and hours without true hunger. Ok first of all Keto does NOT have to cost a lot of money. I actually am saving money since I made the switch. I am quite simple with my foods, they do not have to cost an arm and a leg at ALL. Sure organic can be nice, I splurge on $10 organic eggs but my meat is just regular meat, I do get grass fed on occasion but I’ve also bought really cheap fish, bacon ect from the deli. Supplements can be really expensive. I have a powder keto protein thing I buy. It’s $40 but it lasts me weeks. Because I only put a few teaspoons of the MCT powder in, instead of a big scoop. It’s just something I can have as a little chocolate flavored desert thing. You can buy tinned salmon for cheap, it dosent have to be fresh and organic. Are you a man or a woman?? Cos I’m obviously a woman and when I’m menstruating I bloat up and my clothes get tighter. Also, people may disagree with me in this but I’ll take the risk. I switched over to Carnivore with Animal fats for a few months. I totally eliminated plants and just had, meat, cheese, eggs, ect. I did miss a little bit of lettuce though, so I switched back to keto. But at the same time as starting carnivore I decided to do OMAD. People told me it was too early ect. But I found that from eating one big meal a day ( I do mine at night) but it can be whatever time you like. Well personally I found that the hunger left. Apparently the more often you eat, it spikes your insulin or something and makes you hungrier. I heard that on a KETO YouTube thing somewhere. If people disagree I’m sorry, it’s just what I heard. Oh, I just read your only three weeks in!!! Calm down my friend. Give it time!!! Your body is majorly adjusting to switching from carbs to Keto. Three weeks is not long at all. Ok, I have a coffee in the morning with HWC and that fills my tummy, I may have another one throughout the day. Have plenty of water ( I’m a hypocrite with this one) but seriously drink up. Oh, I forgot I started two meals a day before I jumped straight into the deep end. Then I got used to it and transitioned into just one big one. I find it easier. It works well for me. Check labels on everything, there’s so many hidden carbs. I made that mistake to begin with. I keep my food simple to keep my head simple. It does not have to be hard and expensive. Calm down and give it time. 3 weeks really is not long enough to know whether this is for you or not. It’s up to you. But I hope you can get some guidelines and help on here. I’m probably just rambling. So I’ll shut up now. Keep calm and Keto on ( if you wish) :sunglasses::unicorn::heart:

I was ravenous when I started, too. Every time I ate carbs, my body wanted more so it could avoid using my fat. You forgot to tell us how much you want to lose, that makes a big difference too. My issue was that I wasn’t eating enough fat in the morning - fat makes you feel sated once your body burns it. So, if I eat breakfast now because I am hungry, I make it bacon and eggs, or sausage nd eggs, with a lot of the fat drizzled back over it. Usually I don’t feel hungry again til late afternoon At first, I did ok with 3 meals, putting all the carbs into dinner. If I get hungry in between, I eat some fish usually. I think that your late snack is harming you. I would cut that out first.

So, my suggestion is fat and meat in the morning, all veggies in one meal only. And lose the sweetener and the late snack. You’ll progress from there, and eventually you won’t be hungry anymore, like Bubby described.

(DHrec) #13

Ok, I’ll take all your suggestions onboard and try them out. I agree 3 weeks is not long but I’m genuinely shattered yet have insomnia. I’m trying everything to make me feel good and start heading in the right direction so thanks again for your words of encouragement, I’ll stick with it a bit longer and hope to post a different outlook and positive attitude in the future :heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #14

I had insomnia too and i do find on keto i dont need as much sleep. With the energy thing, i totally get it. I have none myself, but I’m anemic and have health problems I’m dealing with. But yeah give it time, that energy will probably come once your fat adapted. Right now your bods just readjusting. Thanks for reaching out to us, rather than just giving up. You got this, we believe in you.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::unicorn:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #15

Also one more thing, I noticed you said you put Stevia in your coffee. I know it makes it sweeter and I used to put sugar in my coffee before Keto, so i get wanting it sweet. But I find just coffee with water and HWC or as us Aussies call it " Thick cream" is good enough. You get used to it and now I don’t want sweet coffee. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners completely. I know some people can handle them but I don’t. Also, how are you tracking your carbs?? I use an APP ( cos I would go batty if I had to work it all out in my head and in paper) The app does it all for you. I like Carb manager. It’s free ( unless your a weirdo like me and pay $50 for a years subscription) but you don’t have to pay. The $50 just gets you a heap of keto recipes with all the macros included, and I don’t use the recipes anyway. ( yup I’m an idiot :flushed::joy:). But seriously I would be lost without Carb Manager. You can find it in Google play. :heart:

Hi Diego,

I felt horrible the first six months of keto, my body needed a long time to realize I wasn’t out to kill it and to stabilize after all those years of punishment. I’m histamine intolerant, woman (different hormones), etc.

I would have to agree with @velvet - you’re eating too many carbs. You have veggies with every meal, tomatoes are very high in carbs, so are walnuts and nuts can be the biggest problem (“some nuts” usually equals waaaayy too much), avocados are high in carbs…
Also, a lot us have trouble with nuts and/or pork rinds because they trigger a snacking problem and it seems that this may be something you should think about. They have that crunch we crave and we just thoughtlessly shovel them in our mouths.
Stick to simple ingredients - meat, fish, eggs, very little veggie (avoid nuts and tomatoes for now). Try eating 2 eggs with butter as a snack, or have another bulletproof coffee? When you want to grab nuts, ask yourself if you are even hungry or just psychologically hungry. Remove nuts+pork rinds and if you are hungry, make yourself an actual meal. If you’re not hungry for eggs, you are just stuffing your feelings… :wink:

Walnuts are not bad as nuts go, they pecans and macadamias are among the lowest. DietDoctor.com has a good graphic on it. However I agree that even those may be too much especially together with the tomatoes. It is not only about the particular food but the total carbs in any time period. @Meerkatsandy is correct. The true test of hunger is whether you would be like to eat eggs or a steak at that point. If you would go ahead and have some, if you only want something crunchy then you are not hungry or not as much as you think

(Bunny) #18

What is an interesting little nuance is I barely had any garbage in the garbage can. 1 little bag a week to throw in the big trash and barely use toilet paper…lol

I saved so much money on keto/IF even though a little more expensive (but your actually eating less of it) that I had lots of extra cash.

I eat more carbs now but it is interesting how much money I saved when I first started.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #19

I know right!!! It’s great. I don’t have much trash either and don’t use much loo paper ( though I’m onto nappy wipes right now, cos there is none :joy:) Yeah I save a lot on Keto. Sometimes it costs a little more, but it depends what I buy. I just like to keep it basic and simple. Yeah it can cost more at the Check out but because I don’t eat very much, it lasts longer. But I don’t get hungry. I eat till I’m full. That’s what’s great about Keto. Your body tells you when it’s actually full. Not like with carbs.:heart::heart:

@Diego86
After reading what you are eating- I think you are doing it all wrong. Check out Dr Berry on youtube. Use cronometer.com to track your macros- you will be amazed to see how many carbs you are eating. And stop grazing all day long. Eat 3 meals to satiety and don’t snack. NADA. And the nuts? Drop them. Also you dont need bulletproof coffee in the morning. BPC is something to use when you are trying to suppress your appetite and get the fats up. It doesn’t seem to be doing that for you so just eat your fats with your meals. You dont need extra fat if you eat enough fat in your meals. Eat eggs and bacon for breakfast- not eggs for lunch, although you can do that too. Eggs are good for you. Keto tries to wean us off sweet. In many many people anything sweet- even with artificial sweeteners - will create an insulin reaction. What you are trying to do here is stop the insulin from flooding your bloodstream. If you do Keto right, you will find that your appetite subsides. Then it becomes about listening to your inner sense of fullness and no longer eating when you are bored or anxious, but only when you are truly hungry. But from what I have read- you are doing keto all wrong and especially have too many hidden carbs in your diet which is what will make you gain all that weight. Lots of fats PLUS too many carbs is a recipe for disaster. So I would say if you fail at this, it is because you are making all kinds of mistakes. Whenever i ate nuts I gained weight too. A lot of what you read people eating, they do AFTER they have become fat adapted and are in maintenance. They are the people who can experiment a bit with more carbs. Not those of us who are trying to lose the weight. So for now you should be doing strict keto. Check your carbs on cronometer.com or another app, keep them under 20g/day and then watch the magic happen.