Reaction to stevia and erythritol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1

I think I react to stevia and/or erythritol. I’ve been using Pyure and Truvia, which are both blends of those sweeteners, and have reason to think that they have been impeding my progress, not to mention giving me cravings for sweets. I cut out these sweeteners a week ago and have seen a steady, slow drop in weight over the past six days. Probably not coincidence!

Anyway, my question is this: is it worth it to buy a glucose meter just to figure out whether I was reacting to the stevia or to the erythritol, or should I just give up all artificial sweeteners as a bad job?

I primarily wanted sweetener in order to take the edge off the Greek yoghurt I often have for dessert, but either my taste has changed yet again, or I’ve found a brand that doesn’t have such a strong flavor, because I suddenly found that I enjoy it unsweetened now. So giving up all sweeteners would certainly not be the end of the world.

They’re cheap enough so… why not? It may or may not give you validation, but it can’t hurt to try. Geez, I hope I never have to give up my Sweet 'n Low in my coffee!
Sue

I would at least be curious as to which one is causing the problem.

(Omar) #4

why not

when I doubt some food I test BG maybe 6 times a day.

But when things are steady I could go weeks without testing.

yes stevia makes me hungrier and makes me crave sweets.

The main thing about stevia is that it cause my blood glucose to go down This piece of knowledge was not possible without a blood glucose meter.

I think the lowering of the blood glucose is due to insulin short spike)

knowledge of the behavior of blood glucose can help.

and could not associate between my body signals and BG level so a meter is essential if one wants to know the level of blood glucose level.

(Alec) #5

That’s interesting, cos I was thinking much the same (ref my evening munchies topic). I am using a stevia/erythritol mix in my raspberry and cream habit. Pretty much every day. I wonder if it is impeding me as well. I have also used xylitol in the past.

I already have a BG monitor. I think I will do some testing tomorrow and see what happens. I will let you know how I go.

No!
Don’ do it. The quest for data can become addicting. Resist the urge.

(Alec) #7

Already sucked into the vortex. :-:joy:

(Ashley P) #8

How did your testing go

(Alec) #9

Hi
I have done quite a few tests now, and all documented in various threads entitled Live Experiment. So if you search for those words, you will get them.

(Brian) #10

You can keep them out of your diet for a while and see how it goes. If you want to add one or both of them back in later on to see whether anything changes, you can do that, too.

Roll with it. You may decide you want to have periods where you abstain and then other times when you allow yourself to enjoy them again, maybe on special occasions or holidays.

(Deb) #11

Stevia was the main cause of my year long stall. Only found by testing. And testing and testing. Testing is addictive!

(German Ketonian) #12

I would also recommending buying a monitor. However, at the same time, I would also recommend dropping all sweeteners if you can help it. For me, keto has drastically altered my tastebuds. Greek yoghurt, mascarpone, nuts alltaste incredibly sweet without anything. Additionally, I don’t even want that sweets taste anymore as my body wants my to hunt for fatty/umami flavored things. Did that happen for you as well @PaulL? If so, you should consider not bothering with sweeteners at all. Just throwing it out there…

The reason for me mainly is that, apart from insulin, possible cancer and micro biome issues still remain. Apart from the biochemical brain worries and psychological cravings sweeteners might induce. Also, I should disclaim that I am a big advocate of “eat REAL foods” which rules out pretty much anything chemically produced/extracted or overly processed (although there are “natural” sweeteners, granted).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Not completely, but definitely moving in that direction. Unsweetened chocolate always used to be—even up to a couple of months ago—too bitter to be edible; now I don’t bother to sweeten it, just pop a couple of squares in and enjoy. It’s not that it tastes at all sweet, it’s that the lack of sweetness has become irrelevant, or something—I don’t really know how to explain it.

Mascarpone and crème fraîche taste great, whereas Greek yoghurt still tastes a bit too tart, although not so much as it used to. I didn’t use to be able to eat it at all without sweetener; suddenly I am finding it okay, especially if I mix in some heavy cream.

Since I realized that the stevia/erythritol I had been using was probably an issue, I have mostly cut it out, and I don’t really miss it. But I took a cheesecake to the church picnic a couple of weeks ago, and had a couple of pieces. Boy, was it sweet! (I used the full amount of sweetener called for in the recipe, because sugar-burners.) And boy, did it stir up cravings! I wanted more sweets for days afterward, but now I’m back to my usual level of sugar cravings and eating-for-all-the-wrong-reasons cravings. :grinning:

(German Ketonian) #14

That should be indicating what to do, IMHO, which is “fight through” eating the Greek yoghurt without sweeteners and you’ll get used to it.

(Laurie) #15

Great discussion, thanks!

I thought stevia was harmless. Now I’ll see if I can live without it. Hey, it would only make life simpler, which is what I want. My boyfriend and I now prefer whipped cream without any sweetener (but with 1 tablespoon/15 ml Demerara rum per pint/half liter).

As for Greek yogurt, maybe trying a different brand would help. I’m in Canada (and I don’t eat yogurt any more), so I won’t name names, but I found one brand chalky and sour and the other rich and creamy–or, as a fellow shopper commented, “to die for.”