Rattle your pitchforks and say #yes2meat

(ianrobo) #92

There are no environmental issues with properly raised grass fed and well kept animals who are not stuffed with grains to fatten them up

(ianrobo) #93

Oh ffs just listened to Radio 5 who had Walter Willet on emphasise he was from Harvard of course, his cover.

However on it he claimed this diet was the med diet of 50 years ago ! That’s the luecrepeated from guess what ??? The seven countries studies !!! I have been to the med so many times and none of their meals are Vegan in any way shape or form !

('Jackie P') #94

I agree but this isnt an option for everyone.

Agree! The group is well-funded, founded by three well-funded non-profits, supported by the corporate food industry. We need to fight this!

Yes, there is a on-going thread on this topic:

('Jackie P') #96

OMG some of this stuff surely counts as medical negligence.

The environmental issues concerning food production (usually against meat production) is, in my opinion, a canard to get people to quit eating meat and has nothing to do with saving the planet. Yes, Keto is sustainable. As more people eat this way, the market will shift to produce these products.

Currently in the US, we are subsidizing the production of tremendous amounts of soybeans and corn, which is then used, among others things, in the production of soybean oil and high-fructose corn syrup used in many processed foods. These are unhealthy products that are contributing to the rise in chronic diseases. To me, this is what is not sustainable.

I just cannot accept that eating healthy foods is not sustainable, even if the whole world decides to do Keto. I don’t believe it. I have faith in human ingenuity to find a way to do it and to deal with any environmental issues.

(Central Florida Bob ) #98

What’s unsustainable is the effects of these dietary guidelines. There’s a prediction that world insulin production won’t be able to keep up with exploding numbers of diabetics in 10 years.

Meanwhile Dr. Westman talks about getting patients off insulin and other medications in no more than 7 weeks with his Keto plan.

What people always seem to not think about is that human ingenuity is the most powerful resource on Earth. Time after time, humanity has faced environmental problems or shortages and figured out ways around them .

The history of the human race is a history of using that ingenuity to improvise, adapt, and overcome. It’s not a smooth continuum but things get better. In the long term, that’s always true.

(bulkbiker) #99

Nina Teicholz just linked to this on twitter… very very interesting and he has the mantle of Keys apparently…
Probably with exactly the same quality of studies!

(ianrobo) #100

spot on dAve but the real anti meat green argument is about the methane emissions … but as Peter Ballestrard (sorry spelt his name said) this is made worse because they are being fed feeds on grains to fatten them up. As we know as humans (and I do) the more cars I eat the more I fart, funny when mainly fat, I do not fart !

I mean are vegans/vegetarians not going to bring up their carbon footprint from flying in their year-round access to fruits and veggies from overseas? Or the consequences done to the local economies and environments so they can get their “super food” quinoa and açaí fix? So Earth friendly. So humane.

(ianrobo) #102

BTW I have no issue with keto vegans as they get it and are vegan for ethical reasons …

no your right so many costs available, I know my meat is local BTW from a local butcher soured within 50 miles (or so he claims !!)

the best example sadly to pick are advocado’s in CA produced there using just millions of litre of water and CA is a dry state and only survives thanks to the mountain snow

Kenya put a temporary ban last year on their avocado exports (don’t know if they’ve lifted it for nations outside Africa), and I honestly don’t blame them.

With Cali I’m still angry that Nestle is allowed to bottle water there. They should be sued.

(Chris) #104

These foods are monocropped on lands that can’t support it. The soil is continuously depleted and never re-fertilized properly.

These lands could instead be reverted to GRASS as they were originally and used for ruminants (like buffalo…you know that animal that used to roam those plains wildly until we actually massacred them).

(Amanda) #105

I hope this will happen sooner rather than later! :heart:

(Adam Kirby) #106

Let’s cross that bridge when even a fraction of the population adopts keto.

But put quite simply, grass-finished cattle is the way to go because pastured animals improve soil fertility, and obscene amounts of grains are not required to feed them.

By contrast, the plant-based diet that will “save the planet” continually depletes soil nutrients instead of building them up.

(Claire ) #107

I heard this BBC report too and was very frustrated by it. For those of you concerned about the environmental impacts of humanity moving towards a Keto diet, have you watch the documentary The Magic Pill on Amazon Prime? There is a section that addresses this very issue. They say that only 4% of the plant can sustain cultivate d crops while something like 20% has grasslands - ideal for grazing animals such as cattle. If everyone went vegan, we could literally not grow enough food to feed the world. However, if we had more grass-fed cattle, we could have a significant positive impact on greenhouse gasses. According to the expert in the documentary, grasses that grow in prairies have very deep roots which help fight erosion and maintain the quality of the soil. Cows grazed on the top 3 of the plants, turning energy into food. As they move across a prairie, the grasses start to grow again. collecting and trapping carbon. The expert said we could literally reverse global warming within 10 years if we switched over to all grass-fed animals used for human consumption. I was so happy to learn that paying more for grass-fed beef is not only better for my health, but it is literally better for the health of our planet too!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #108

I see no evidence for this. I’ve seen the attacks on Willett and they seem well-deserved, but if this is industry-funded, then they’ve very cleverly disguised their funding behind the non-profits that make up the commission.

Nestle is listed as a partner, but there’s no other suspicious names on the website, at least not after a few minutes of digging.

(Scott) #109

I notice that only animals raised for meat consumption pass gas. All the other animals get a pass. I have been on a farm and trust me grass fed horses & cows have gas. I’ll bet buffalo rhinos and elephants do too.

(ianrobo) #110

I did see the names listed on a tweet from friends of ours, can not find it now, however here - https://eatforum.org/partnerships/strategic-partners/ they have Novo Nordisk mentioned and they thrive on making people sick through diabetes …

(ianrobo) #111

ah this was it