RADISHES in place of little red potatoes

(Kathy L) #21

No -I didn’t boil before frying-just sliced & put in pan w/2 tablespoons butter & some onions. Then just fry until tender & (some) turning brown. The photo I shared was before the began to brown. If you don’t cook long enough-they may still retain some of their spiciness…

(Patricia Koenig) #22

Instant pot makes them bare able. I hate radishes but if I cook in the IP they do actually taste good :blush:

(Kathy L) #23

Not really my idea – heard about it from our table mates on the low-carb cruise!

Tried this yesterday. Picked up a beautiful bunch of radishes and an equally beautiful bunch of new red/purple spring onions at the market. Washed and topped and tailed the radishes, peeled any hard skin off a few onions and 20 Minutes in a 200 c oven was enough to give us a lovely veg bowl with our roast chicken.
Fat used = butter…of course.

(Linda Culbreth) #25

Made these tonight - but cooked them in bacon grease! Awesome! Also found this this radish leaf pesto recipe - have washed the leaves real good and will give it a try.

(Candy Lind) #26

I roasted mine for 30-35 minutes at 400F; maybe you didn’t go long enough or hot enough? I was surprised to find they tasted a bit sweet. The “bite” was totally gone. I cut them in half, except one big one I cut in thirds. I think I will always roast them for at least 15 -20 minutes before putting them in a “potato” dish to make sure they get completely done.

(Liz ) #27

I think my hatred of radishes is just too intense :smile:

(Candy Lind) #28

I don’t know - I pick small pieces of it out of ready-made salads! And I still like the roasted ones. Oh, well. :hugs:

(Brian) #29

I want to try daikon radishes. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a store selling them here. I do have some seeds, though, and plan to see if I can grow some in the garden this year.

(Deb) #30

Know I’m late to the party…but I just did this for dinner tonight. Made a beef stew and used the red radishes in place of potatoes. Also threw in a daikon that needed using, cut into cubes. Made Cast Iron Keto Biscuits. https://www.castironketo.net/blog/keto-dinner-rolls Ladled the thick, gloppy stew on top. Nom nom. BTW thickened the stew with glucomannan powder. And the biscuits were even better after they cooled completely. Looking forward to sausage gravy and biscuits in the morning :yum:

(Candy Lind) #31

I roasted 4 big bunches of them the other day. Try roasting them in bacon nectar as a side dish sometime.

(Ken) #32

Besides radishes and rutabagas, parsnips, turnips, as well as carrots work for potato substitutes. You can also add celery in to keep calories lower and increase the fiber content.

(Deb) #33

Thanks. That sounds deeeliiissshhh!!

(Richard M) #34

I just made them in a fry pan with butter. I also put in some onions and mushrooms. Cooked for about 20 minutes. Didn’t keep track but is wasn’t long. I did slice them. Turned out awesome. Thanks.