Rabbit anyone?

(B Creighton) #1

So, I searched rabbit, and came up with 0 posts. I recently bought a rabbit(frozen), at quite a premium I might add over what I nomally pay for meat - almost $10/lb - with the thought of trying it out - with the thought rambling around that maybe I would try to raise them… but, I would have to like rabbit to do that. Anyway, was wondering if anyone has a favorite rabbit recipe… or other thoughts. Thanks

(Jerry Driggers) #2

I like to cook rabbit rubbed with bacon grease, salt and pepper and roast it in the air fryer, man it’s good!!

(Geoffrey) #3

You can cook rabbit like you do any meat such as chicken. It can be stewed. Roasted. Barbecued. Fried. It’s endless. I like to grill it over an open fire wrapped in bacon.
Just be aware that rabbit is extremely lean so you must use plenty of fat with it and it helps to marinate it or wet brine.
10 dollars a pound? Man, I’m sitting on a gold mine. I can generally just walk out my front door in the morning and shoot one in the pasture.

We buy it from our “egg lady” for $5.5/kg :smiley: Well we wouldn’t pay much more for it, it’s lovely but mild tasting, not seems as substantial as pork to me. But good for variety!

My SO has 2 recipes for it and it’s more than enough for our occasional rabbit eating (we eat rabbit as often as ruminant meat I think, maybe once in every 2 months? I am bad with time). And it’s fine in soup too.
One recipe is carbier (vegs and even sweetener! the only meat dish where I allow sweetening as it strangely… works! maybe due to the mustard… that is already sweetened a bit) but the other is a simple stew. Perfect. I don’t need other rabbit recipes (the previous one only happens because my SO feels nostalgic… it IS good but I would go for the one closer to carnivore), at least with this rare rabbit eating! We only make proper Hungarian stews so it has onions fried in fat (we use very little compared to other people, looking at recipes…), paprika, salt, little water and the rabbits. Why to overcomplicate things when simple is the most delicious? :smiley:

I will try that if I will have an air fryer! (Already thinking about buying one.) Well I never have bacon grease but the lard I get when I fry the hell out of some very fatty pork (I love scratchings) is really tasty.

Not what I buy! :smiley: Lovely, fatty young home-raised rabbits. Once the egg lady said we get the one that didn’t run away… Maybe the lazy one :wink: Visible fat pouches here and there… It’s still lean, sure and we need to use a little fat (just to fry the onions though so it can’t be helped - but why would I) but it’s not too lean at all. Soft and nice.
A lean wild rabbit must be a whole other experience, I probably wouldn’t like that as much but it would be interesting to try one day…

(Bob M) #5

Our local store sells rabbit. I always wanted to try it. Maybe I’ll have to get some, after my week of testing other recipes.

Not sure what it costs, though.

But normal steak is on sale at $10/pound.

Rabbit in the supermarket is costlier even here but still not steak level…
Ribeye prices are similar here. A lower salary isn’t enough for a pound a day… No wonder people don’t often eat that here. There are plenty of cheaper, tasty options for meat, thankfully.
(Even if I want ruminant meat, I am perfectly fine with the cheapest cut, shank - very good for stew - or rather deer. I want mutton but that’s near impossible to get, apparently.)

Domesticated rabbit is just some almost chicken-like cheaper milder little thing to me. Still good. Even the liver has very little taste. But it’s nice.

(Geoffrey) #7

It is. As with most wild game. That’s why people have experienced rabbit starvation.
I’ve eaten domestic meat rabbits before and they are good.

(Bob M) #8

My main problem with domestic rabbit or deer or pig or chicken is that a lot of the feed will (in the US) contain corn and probably seed oils.

Here’s rabbit food. The first ingredient is good, then it goes downhill:

(E P) #9

We used to raise meat rabbits and tired of the meat very quickly. It may be delicious as a treat here and there, especially smoked or in a stew, but I would never use it as a staple. Even once a week was too often, tbh.

(B Creighton) #10

My thinking was to have a permanent hutch, which would receive table scraps, and then a tractor house, I can move every day across the grass. I happen to live in an area where I can also get lots of alfalfa hay.

Yeah, I eat chicken once or twice per week, so am thinking I might like that for rabbit, and it could be even healthier than the chicken I can get… but will have to try it first. I generally eat seafood at least twice per week, and then red meat once or twice as well. So, I am just thinking it would be another addition, I could use in place of a lot of the chicken I get.

You may have good chances then. Rabbit is the same type as chicken to me, mild tender meat with small bones so if I eat one, I don’t want the other in the near future for the usual time but I went vegetarian for a long time due to chicken eating every week, that’s way too often for me! :smiley: But if you like chicken, you may like rabbit just fine :slight_smile:

(ishaisagi) #12

Rabbits are free with a gun license and a friend with a big property…
Boil meat until easy to fall of the bone, add fat and mix with spices, put in oven to make a “loaf” (tarrine). Fridge and eat cold whenever

I had rabbit liver and kidney today. The liver was quite sweet but my sweet perception is different from “normal” people at this point.

(B Creighton) #14

yeah, I was thinking it could be a good source of liver for me… Can’t hardly buy decent liver anymore, and sheece is it expensive! It used to be cheap. Now it’s more than ground beef. And I never see chicken liver at the store… only gizzards.

Chicken liver is everywhere here :slight_smile: I can’t buy beef though but it’s fine as it’s too expensive for me. I eat fowl and pork. I quite like the cheaper options. Rabbit is right there price wise and it’s home-raised and quite lovely.

I only could try the liver of a few animals, they are mixed. I usually like liver to some extent (I mean, the more bitter kind can get old quickly… cream may help though and last time I used butter for the not too bitter chicken liver and it was so awesome we ate it up right away. I won’t cook less than 1kg in the future but that will disappear quickly too and then I should wait for weeks as it’s too nutritious) but beef liver is too sweet for me to enjoy. Rabbit is mild, not bitter at all and starts to get too sweet… But I can handle half a liver per 1-2 months, we get it with the rabbit itself, only the liver and kidney, never the heart or something else, not even blood or head though once I asked and got those… Blood is one of my big favorites, no matter the animal (if it’s among the very few I ever tried).
Pork liver is very easy to get and usually it’s the cheapest but it’s hit and miss for me. Sometimes it’s just too bitter or otherwise not great tasting, sometimes it’s pretty good. I ate lots of hard pork liver as a kid, IDK why as I never manage to make it hard, it gets more or less soft :smiley: And I do love pâté but just like with mustard, my own just can’t get as smooth as I like. I am pretty sure pâté needs to use some slightly bitter, not sweet liver, according to my own taste so rabbit liver wouldn’t be pâté-like to me. But it still would be some nice spread for sure.

(Ethan) #16

I always order them if on the menu, and I eat rabbit kidneys as a substitute for beans into carnivore chili. I also make rabbit-liver pate. Since I am extremely allergic to rabbit dander, I consider rabbits my mortal enemies. I must eat them all.

(Robin) #17

Hahaha… great last line.

:smiley:

I only can get the one per rabbit (the other is for my SO) so I can’t play with them like this but it sounds nice and funny too :stuck_out_tongue: Very different flavor but it’s fine, still adds variety!

(Ethan) #19

Indeed! They taste great, and I can buy them online.