Quote from Dr. Phinney on long term perspective & intention in ketogenic living

overviews
self-experimentation
long-term
science
food

I really like this Dr. Phinney quote. It emphasizes the long term overview:

Health is defined by where you will be 1 year or 1 decade from now, not where you will be in 1 week or 1 month.Stephen Phinney, MD

For me this involves the art of suspending disbelief and having lots of self-compassion, meaningful daily practices, contented intermittent fasting, feasting on savory fat/seasalt/spices/veggies/protein, and the n=1 adventures of joyful self-experimentation.

I have found it very helpful to suspend time and linear thinking whenever I can (as technically speaking, timelessness is the only reality that has been mathematically proven as inifinity, etc.) for life cycle processes and for arduous meditation training and certain kinds of meditative yoga & martial arts. To that end, ever since I learned various traditional healing insights, for chronic issues I give myself 4 seasons with new healing protocols before coming to final conclusions on efficacy.

It helps me to never count calories and to rarely if ever weigh myself, and to only measure myself every month or two. I mostly focus on delicious feasting and effortless fully fat-adapted (am 9 months in to keto now) 18-22 hour fasting a couple times a week, knowing that “now” is all I really have, and the “now” of today becomes the past of tomorrow, etc.

I really like some of historical perspectives on longevity & rejuvenation that keto researcher Christi Vlad Zot puts forth in his book Periodic Fasting: Repair your DNA, Grow Younger, and Learn to Appreciate your Food where he studies the fascinating lives of long-lived historical guys Upton Sinclair and Luigi Cornaro. Throughout ancient civilization history (which is just a brief time of just the last 8K years or so compared to 90% of human history which was aboriginal gatherer/hunter) there have been rejuvenation practices and longevity secrets in various places east and west, north and south. Common to judeo-christian cultures, in the Hebrew Bible there was Methuselah, who lived 969 years, longer than anyone else recorded in written history - though that’s not saying much as most of human history is oral history. His father was Enoch, of whom it is said passed at 365 years. And in Taoism and many eastern meditation and earth-based traditions, ‘immortality’ of unified outlook and self-cultivation/rejuvenation was woven into many beliefs - for a different perspective on chronological age and a life well lived.

Anyhoo, LCHF/keto/IF helps me live my best life regardless of outcome, more than ever!

Weight loss as a goal getting lost?
(Zoe ) #2

This is great. I love the different thinking. I like to remind myself that I am playing the long term game.
Love your musings.

(Carol E. ) #3

Your statement about suspending linear thinking resonated with me. The more I learn about nutritional ketosis and the human body the better understanding I have of the myriad of variables that impact each of us in a unique way. I have wondered how is it that we have become so conditioned to expect 1 plus 1 to yield 2 across the board in a linear fashion? Personally, I have yet to observe a straight line, lol.

I am grateful have become fully aware of non-linear progress and I embrace my unique journey; this shall be my lifestyle for the rest of my life. I look forward to continuing to challenge myself and learn more every day. I appreciate your post. :+1::dart:

Thank you Zoe!

Thank you Carol! Here’s to non-linear equations and the rhythm of life that has an intelligence its own - especially seen in female biology across many species!

“'The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.” is a quote I enjoy about all that. It was said by the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam in the 1965 book Dune by Frank Herbert, but also is the common sense of intact indigenous & aboriginal peoples and the eastern sciences and all the great mystics really… :herb: :bacon::avocado::coconut:

(Candy Lind) #6

Great philosophy lesson here. My problem now is that plate looks beautiful, and I was already feeling hungry - when I should be sleeping! I’m going to drink a big glass of water, give it a few minutes, then either go to sleep or get 1/2 ounce of macadamias to calm my system for sleep. Night, all! :purple_heart:

(Diane) #7

Great sentiment. Thanks for sharing!

Nicely said!

hahaha, I kinda had that problem myself after I first found that pic - and am looking forward to creating a similar plate sometime soon!