Quick recipes/snacks

(Splotchy) #1

Unlike the gourmet dudes, I am not much of a chef (although there’s a lot of inspiration here). My life tends to be busy and disorganised with just the odd few mins to rustle something up. So please give your ideas for quick easy meals/snacks with a 15 min prepare time and minimum washing up. I’ll start:

Steak in creamy garlic sauce: 1/ grill steak. 2/ add equally large blobs of hummus and cream cheese to the serving plate and mix. 3/ roll steak in blobs and eat. (While the steak is grilling I usually stir fry some mushrooms/greens).

Cashews in marmite: 1/ put foil on baking sheet and smear marmite on it. 2/ Roll some raw cashews in it using a metal spoon - it is very sticky! 3/ Cook in oven for 15 mins at 150c. These are really moorish and a bit addictive. Can be carried around in a Tupperware and salty enough to ward off ketoflu.

Please all post your similar ideas/experiments!

(Laurie) #2

Sometimes people say they have trouble figuring out what to eat or how to cook it. I think they must be used to casseroles, pastas, etc. But for us meat-and-potatoes types, the adjustment to low carb cooking can be pretty simple. Throw something in a frying pan, turn it over, done. For sauces, I stick to premade ones such as mayo, salsa, and Huy Fong chili garlic sauce.

VietnameseSauce

Or buy shredded cheese and sprinkle it on everything.

Lots of quick and easy ideas here too:

(Splotchy) #3

Thanks - some really good ideas esp the tinned fish. I’m a big fan of fish and my snipped up salmon stir-fried with leeks and courgettes, then sprinkled with loads of grated cheese is really yummy. Takes 5 mins!

(Splotchy) #4

Cream cheese rolls: Keep strips of pastrami ham and/or smoked salmon in the fridge - when peckish smear on cream cheese and roll. You get a creamy fatty savoury treat far more filling than a Swiss roll.

(Holly Cadieux) #5

I live in Canada and parents were from England. I love Marmite! Going to try this and great to hear Marmite helps with the Keto flu going though that right now.

(Jane Reed) #6

I lay several slices of pepperoni on a saucer, put a bit of mozzarella cheese on each piece, and put them in the microwave oven for 30 seconds. Tasty and satisfying.

(Camille Yeager) #7

snacks/light meals:

mozzerella bites (i usually just cut up cheese sticks) and olives, drizzled with olive oil.

I also like to get a bunch of different kinds of cheese (pepper jack, various cheddars and colbys etc) and cube them. I keep that in the fridge. easy to grab.

(Victoria ) #8

Hey, Splotchy!

Your examples sound tasty, but be warned . . . Chickpeas are not low carb (I wish they were) and I’ve heard that cashews are the highest in carbs among nuts. A half cup of chickpeas is 17g (10 net), Hummus about 25g/20 net per half cup. Cashews are 8.6g/7.7 net, per ounce. Depending on what else you’re eating, these could knock you out of ketosis if you’re not being careful on the quantities.

(Splotchy) #9

I agree there are some carbs in there - people very sensitive and having to stick to <20mg need to watch. But the fat/protein content consumed with it suppresses the glucose spike that would release insulin. A spoon of hummus with a big dollop of cream cheese smothering a slab of meat is low carb overall. And re nuts, a small handful is v satiating.