Quick desserts?

(Karen Thompson) #1

I’m only in week 2 of my keto diet, and I’m having much less hunger. My sugar cravings are much less, but not gone. I’m also looking for ways to increase my fat intake. I’ve been whipping up 1/4 c of heavy cream and mixing it with erythritol, dark cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, and 1 T of natural peanut butter as a dessert after dinner. (I actually make 4 servings at a time, and divide them into portions, and store in the fridge.) Any other ideas for a quick way to satisfy a sweet tooth?

I used to do that too. I also used to drink Zevia (maybe 2-3 cans a day). It went on for about 4-5 months. I haven’t had whipping cream in awhile though. Once you’re neck deep in it you may not require so much fat or have many sweet cravings. I can’t speak for anyone else but I was resolved to eventually eliminate that old sweet tooth. I was a sugar addict so there was no middle ground for me. I had to let go of it. I drank diet coke and pepsi a lot too but now they are only treats. You’ll eventually also come to a cross roads and ask yourself if you want to put your body through artificial sweeteners or additional chemicals. Eventually your palate may be more accustomed to salty/savoury. I was never into savoury foods until I started this keto journey. My tastes have definitely changed over time. Hope others have better ideas for you. Don’t lose hope and leave room for even more surprising changes too.

(Alex) #3

my top recommendation would be to cut out sugar, fake or artificial, completely. eventually, your hormones will be in check, that sugar craving will be completely gone, and you won’t have a sweet tooth at all. but, if you feel like you really need it still in these early stages, try some dark chocolate (90-100% cocoa) with a dollop of whipped cream on top. i’ve seen others mention sugar-free jello, though i’m not sure what type of sweetener is used in the stuff. berries are probably your best option, honestly. raspberries, blackberries, etc. just take note of how much you’re eating as to not over-do it on the carbs. best of luck :slightly_smiling_face:

Quick one for me is a root beer float. Just add some of that heavy whipping cream to a diet A&W root beer.

(Justin S) #5

SECONDED!!

I experienced serious insulin spikes from all types of artificial sweeteners the first few weeks, making it impossible to stay awake after drinking this ACV Limeade concoction that used monk fruit. Diet soda and energy drinks also make me unbearably tired, so those were out. Monk fruit was the worst offender, along with Splenda, and stevia seemed to be the least problematic.

I cut out sweet flavors completely for about 3 weeks after that, and now I can enjoy them again, but on my own terms. I don’t crave them like I used to, and can control my consumption of them like never before.

That said, a website called something like Roasted Root has an excellent keto ice cream recipe that I’ve made several times in a few different flavors. Their vanilla bean base is easily adapted to other flavors. Easy, but not quick, takes 2-3 hours of cooling in the fridge before churning, but the churning only takes about 20 minutes. It recommended Swerve, which I have found to be the least artificial tasting of the keto sweeteners. Confectioners version is best.

('Jackie P') #6

Lemon posset! Per portion, heat 150mls double cream with juice of 1 lemon 2 tbsp powdered erythritol. Simmer for a few minutes then pour into a ramekin. Refrigerate overnight.
Delicious with blackberries.
I often do this for dinner parties and often forget to mention its sugar free. Its always so popular.

Ooooh, posset! Love the stuff, but I haven’t made it for ages. Thanks for the reminder. :yum: