Questions Upon Questions

(Athena Elliston) #1

I don’t know if I would say I am new to this WOE, I have been doing it for about 6 months, but seriously, I have not yet gotten the hang of it. I initially gained about 7 pounds, which was rough, but I was able to stop the weight gain and have been about the same weight for several months. I would like to dispose of the extra weight I gained and then continue on and lose about 5-10 more pounds.
I am 35 yo female, I do not have any medical issues and I don’t think I would be considered overweight (5’4’’ and currently 142 with the 7 lb weight gain). I just know that I am not my best self right now and in my research I have learned and believe that I will be able to feel my best and be my best if I fuel my body in this way. However, I am struggling to get it down. Any recommendations on how to lose those pounds that I gained. I am keeping my total carbs around 50g and my net between 20-30g, I have tried to go lower, but I do love my veggies and that seems to be keeping me higher. I try to keep my protein between 60-70g, but I lift weights 3 times a week and run long distances regularly, so I am wondering if I should up my protein? Also, I am eating between 1,800 and 2,000 cals a day.

Sorry for the long post, but I know there are a ton of pros out there! I have been listening to the 2ketodudes podcast for a few months and am hooked. Thanks so much for any input or advice you might have!

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

Have you measured in any other way than the scales. Sounds like you could very well be adding significant LBM with your eating and exercise regimen.

(Athena Elliston) #3

I have not actually measured inches, but my clothes are much tighter, specifically my pants around my hips and waist, which where I gain weight. I also do not look as lean as I did previously.

(Mark) #4

If I could suggest you tweak anything it would be take a break from distance running and do sprint intervals instead,the distance running is a huge stress on the system,go read about stress and cortisol,from what I’ve been reading hormones play a significant role in all this,especially for women,hope this helps

(Ross Daniel) #5

Consuming any artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols?

(Athena Elliston) #6

This is helpful thanks. I have two half marathons scheduled this month and then I will be required to take a break as I am having surgery. So I will monitor how I do at that point.

(Athena Elliston) #7

yes, stevia in my coffee in the morning and if I am craving sweet I will make a fatbomb with swerve. But that is not a daily thing. could this be an issue?

(Ross Daniel) #8

Doubtful if it isn’t a daily thing.

Are you satiated the majority of the time? Or do you get hungry and just try to ignore the hunger pangs?

It could but the running as others have suggested, but the only way to find out is change a variable and then see what the result is. Sounds like you’ll be done running soon due to surgery (bummer!) so this may force the change and you can then see how your body reacts. The main thing though is KCKO! :grinning:

(Mark) #9

You can read what mark sisson says about marathons,he was a professional marathon runner and said it ruined his body,and said alot of his fellow competitors were dropping dead of heart attacks and that’s when he changed his style of training

(Joel Abdul) #10

I would agree with the others. I’ve run several Marathons and I always expect to lose weight. It never happens! Totally unexpected results, especially when you’re ramping up the milage. I’ve learned that you either lose weight OR train. Never both…It just doesn’t happen.

Some one mentioned Sission. He recommends running at a lower pace. Heart rate = 180-your age. So mine is around 141. It’s a wicked slow pace but keeps you in a fat burning mode vs. glucose burning. The idea is it keeps cortisol levels low, and you eventually get faster at the same heart rate.

…I just read his primal endurance book. Not bad, but doesn’t really give any solid specifics. Worth the read, though :grinning:

(Jason Webb) #11

Carbs seem high. Is the 50/20g a closely tracked or are you guesstimating? Either way that’s the first thing I would experiment with, dropping those as low as you can tolerate. Do you measure for ketones?

(Monterey West) #12

I agree with others. I started at about the same wieght as you (5’5", 148lbs) and got down to 124lbs. I don’t run, I have an active job. I try to keep my carbs under 20g total. I saw the best results when i started intermittent fasting and only consumed calories 4 hours a day. Until you take a break from running, there might not be much room for improvement… Good luck😀

(Kathy L) #13

Also-jimmy Moore & the doc do NOT recommend using “net” carbs. Total carbs should be around/not more than 20.

(Athena Elliston) #14

I don’t measure for ketones, but I will try to drop my carbs a bit and see if that helps.

(Jason Webb) #15

I think that this can be true on a case by case basis. It really comes back to your personal carb tolerance level and level of insulin resistance. The 20g rule is largely accepted because it will get the majority of people into ketosis. There are some who can go over that, and some will need to restrict even below the 20g limit.

Regarding net carbs, this can be a bit of a gray area as well. The only real way to know is to test yourself. I keep mine below 20 total simply because I don’t want to mess with it.

(Jason Webb) #16

It’s definitely worth a shot. I would try changing one thing at a time, starting with the carbs. I really don’t think your activity level is the culprit here.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

This would be my observation.
Focusing on a number on the scale is a bad habit and a big mistake.

(Athena Elliston) #18

Thank you everyone for the advice and input. For now I will lower carbs a bit and see how it goes. My running will stop after this month. I’ll update everyone after a month or two. Thanks again!

(Jeanne Gallant) #19

That’s a perfect pace for me. I’m so encouraged.

(What The Fast?!) #20

It’s been a few months now - how’s your progress??