Questions for those without health issues

newbies
progress

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #61

Me either. It’s text. Fuck it all! Let’s move on. Misunderstanding all the way around.
Hugs.

(Sheri Knauer) #62

Thanks! We have very similar stories about eons of working out and “eating healthy” with only sub par results and always carrying around an extra layer of fat that never seems to go away. Stick with keto and you will get there. Especially once you become fat adapted. Stick with the plan, watch that protein intake, and incorporate some IF and maybe a few extended fasts along the way and you will see results.

(What The Fast?!) #63

I triple like this. :slight_smile:

(Mary Ann) #64

I find this too. I did not have a lot to lose (10-15 lbs?). But my clothes start feeling so much better. I don’t like weighing myself so I really use clothes and just how I feel and move to judge any weight loss. I love what keto does for my health and the fact that I can keep it simple. I only keep track of carbs and eat to satiety.

(Christopher Avery) #65

Hah! I can identify with that.

I started ketoing two weeks ago on the weekend I moved. I don’t know where my scale or tape measure are so I choose to go without those measures. Today when I put my shorts on, they buttoned much easier than usual.

#Win

(Mary Ann) #66

Haha definitely a win!

(Michelle) #67

Hi @KetoLikeaLady - I finally measured today… and drumroll… BAM!! I’m at the exact same measurements as I was in February. Yes, I don’t understand this either. Measurements the same, weight is up 2 lbs, but clothes feel better.

I do need to figure some things out… I don’t like the creep of weight and no difference in my measurements. Trying new things!! n=1 and I’ll make my changes happen.

(What The Fast?!) #68

Also you changed your photo!! Cute!

(Michelle) #69

he’s my love. :heart: :dog2:

(Sheri Knauer) #70

As you know I have a similar situation as you. Have always worked out, at what I thought was a healthy diet (low fat, plenty of carbs, eating every few hours). I didn’t have any major health issues that I was aware of because whenever I got my yearly required (by my insurance company) cholesterol test, those numbers always came back stellar in the eyes of the traditionally trained doctors. But I always had an extra layer of fat (anywhere from 10-30 or more pounds, depending on what year) that I could never get rid of, all my hard work at the gym didn’t show because my muscle was packed away in the cooler and I had my first kid when I was 41, second child when I was 43, so that certainly did not help as I used my pregnancy to allow myself “extra” goodies to feed the babies.
I never thought I had any health issues but looking back now (today is my 10 month ketoversary), belly fat was always an issue and I always carried extra weight there which means I surely carried my share of visceral fat and nothing I did would get rid of it. I was resigned to the fact that I would probably always carry the extra weight since I was 50. I would always have to have something with me when I was at the gym in case I had a bout of hypoglycemia, which I got on occasion (another indication things weren’t copacetic), I was constantly yo-yo dieting and it was always very difficult for me to lose weight and actually keep it off (beginning of insulin resistance).
So if you look back at things you may have been experiencing but not really thought much of before keto, you may realize now some signs that your metabolism was getting wonky. Now my blood sugar can fall low but I feel completely fine, no more hypoglycemia. My belly fat is about 90% gone. Ive shed most of my cooler (body fat, but still have some here and there, not like before though). I weigh less than I did in high school and easily maintain within a range without starving myself (Im 5’6" and my weight range is typically 115-118 range) but Im not sure of body fat % (plan to get a dexascan in the near future to see what that is and check bone density).
So I think If I had stayed on the path I was on pre-keto, I would have ended up with some issues down the road.

(Sheri Knauer) #71

oh, and the less you have to lose, the slower it may go. Also, being fat adapted also tends to be muscle sparing/building so you could be putting on additional muscle weight as you lose fat. Are you lifting more at the gym? I find that I am able to lift more weight now than I did before. There may be issues you are unaware of that your body wants to take care of first before dropping fat weight.

(What The Fast?!) #72

@Sheri_Knauer Hey girl! I needed this today. I went home for a wedding this past weekend and even though I ate all keto, I came back with a six pound gain. (Granted, I also came back with a really bad cold, so I’m praying it’s just water retention.)

Since we started, my b/f (who is also in good shape, doesn’t have much to lose) has lost several inches and about 7-8 lbs. I have been living keto for nearly 10 weeks and haven’t had any loss (I’m actually UP a pound at the moment) and no loss in inches or the way my clothes feel. I’m feeling really frustrated because it feels like every other diet plan I’ve ever tried - I follow things exactly, the only cheats are keto cheats like using stevia to make a dessert, and I haven’t seen any external results.

On the positive side, I believe I’m fat adapted now - I’m able to identify satiety now, I’m not needing to eat during a long endurance bike ride, and the thing I’ve noticed most recently - I haven’t had an allergy attack since I started keto. I’m allergic to anything with fur and I used to take Zyrtec 2-3x a week. I stopped taking it and haven’t had an allergy attack at all.

These are great signs, I just would LOVE some external physical results, you know? As far as the gym, I do TRX, kettlebells, Pilates, yoga, and cycling - so hard to identify if I’m lifting heavier or not. I think I’m getting stronger, but can’t quantify.

Anyway - this post was just what I needed for motivation. I want to hear more from people who didn’t lose weight initially as I’m PRAYING that there’s a “whoosh” to come.

Note: I’m about 5’ 3", weigh around 145-150 depending on water retention (today it’s 150) and think I’m about 25-26% BF. I definitely have weight to lose, not a ton because I think I have a good amount of muscle for my frame, but for sure 15 lbs.

(Sheri Knauer) #73

I know the worst time for me is about a week or so before shark week. Thats when I tend to put on weight. During and right after a fast (extended one) I tend to go up in weight. Strangely when I stop fasting, I drop a few pounds a few days later. Just keep with the keto and you will see the changes, especially once you are fat adapted. There is a lot of stuff going on inside as well. The allergy thing is big! When I first started keto, I initially felt like I lost some strength but once I adapted, I quickly regained it and have surpassed what I was lifting before.
There are so many things that can cause a fluctuation in weight the best thing to get your scale moving is to throw it out the window, lol.
Another thing is I don’t get sore muscles from lifting anymore. Not at all. Its amazing.