Questions for those without health issues

newbies
progress

(What The Fast?!) #1

Hi friends! I’ve been reading and researching and listening to the podcast and reading some more. Here’s my question…

A lot of the strategies I see are aimed at reversing illness, lowering test result numbers (A1C, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc), or losing a large % of body weight. ALL of those things are incredible!

However, what I’d like to know is if all this will work for someone who is just a hair above a normal BMI and is looking to “lean out,” lose 15-20 lbs of “vanity weight,” the stubborn spots that I haven’t been able to get rid of, no matter how much I work out, no matter what style of eating I’ve tried. After trying everything else, keto seems like it’s the only option left and hopefully - the one that finally gets me what I’m looking for.

So…all that said, can anyone who has gone through this specifically tell me what worked for them? I’m not looking for results overnight of course (I’m not a crazy person). I’m eating under 20g total carbs most days, eating 1-1.5g protein/kg of LBM, NOT restricting fat calories, working out, implementing IF most days now and I’m currently doing my first extended fast (shooting for 36 hours), and just want to make sure I’m using the right strategies to target this weight loss. I promise I’m doing all I can to KCKO - I would just love to hear other people’s experiences who are in a similar situation. :slight_smile: (Please and thank you.)

PS I am actually implementing all the advice I get too. :slight_smile:

(Eric Bryant) #2

I can’t wait to see the responses on this one. I am no expert, but I have yo-yo’d up and down all my life…I would assume those last few pounds will take strength training to build more muscle tissue, which will in turn require more calories to maintain itself. Thus leading to the thinning out. Just my not professional opinion.

(What The Fast?!) #3

I do that as well. :slight_smile:

(Adam Kirby) #4

I went on keto simply to lose the 20 pounds I put on eating complete garbage for a couple years. I have always been pretty lean prior to that. I have lost 10+ pounds so far but have put on muscle in this time so I can’t say for certain how much total BF has been lost. My goal is a flat stomach because even when I was a scrawny dude in my 20s I still had some of dat belly fat. I am actually restricting food intake lately since I have plateaued in fat loss for many months. Since I almost always have disgusting acetone breath I assume my body has no trouble breaking down fat, so I am hoping decreased intake+IF gets it to burn more fat. No problem with energy or body temp of any kind. I’m not doing any calorie math btw, just eating a small meal and large meal each day instead of 2 large meals.

(What The Fast?!) #5

I like that strategy! One big meal, one smaller meal!

(What The Fast?!) #6

For those of you without a bunch of weight to lose - do you do a feast/fast cycle? If so, how long for each part of the cycle?

(Michelle) #7

I don’t have a ton of weight to lose, and mainly got into Keto for health benefits. I lost some weight initially, but bounced back up 2 lbs. All my old clothes fit, so I can tell my body composition changed.

I do IF (with coffee +MCT) almost daily. I find it difficult to do EF with water only, and will need to supplement with fat at my next attempt.

(What The Fast?!) #8

Thanks! So you’ve gained two lbs, no change in inches? (Wasn’t sure I understoood correctly.)

(Michelle) #9

I haven’t measured in a while. Will do so and let you know.

(What The Fast?!) #10

How long have you been doing keto again?
Ps I’m fasting today so I am forum obsessed. :slight_smile:

(Michelle) #11

Me since Jan 2. I am going by how my clothes fit. I will measure tomorrow.

I am forum obsessed. Feasting or fasting.

(What The Fast?!) #12

Haha, same! Ohhhh - when you said “old clothes fit” I didn’t get what you meant. You’re saying that some old clothes that haven’t fit you in awhile fit you now?

(Michelle) #13

Yep! When I was a sugar burner and weighed less, bought a bunch of clothes (5-7 years ago). Now, even though I weigh more, they suddenly all fit again. I love it.

I still would like to shed about 5lbs of fat, but it’s not budging. I’m okay though. I like this way of living and won’t go back.

(What The Fast?!) #14

Thanks :smiley: Let me know about the measurements - that’s awesome! I haven’t noticed any changes in the way my clothes fit yet and I’ll tracking measurements as well as weight. I’m looking for success stories just like this from people who are in similar situations!

(What The Fast?!) #15

I love those kinds of opinions. :slight_smile:

(David) #16

@richard I have been thinking exactly this for a while. Any chance (!) of a podcast on this topic. I think it’s a different issue from the TOFI show. There will be many people coming to keto for the health benefits. It would be a pity if they got the impression it was just a hormone balancing way of eating aimed at weight stabilisation or addressing serious health issues.

(What The Fast?!) #17

@Chance Yes!! I would LOVE :heart: :heart::heart: a show on this! I think there are a lot of people who come just for this and would be SO stoked about a podcast episode from @carl and @richard !!

(Richard Morris) #18

me too :slight_smile:

People who keto without the motivation of severe health issues … yeah that’s a great subject.

(Linda) #19

Yes please, I’m one of those health obsessed people with perfect blood sugar levels and an insulin level of 7, so not insulin resistant (sorry guys!). I’m doing this to prevent any future health problems and I too would love for @richard & @carl to do a podcast on this.

(Gregory Stoltzfoos) #20

I didn’t start in this situation but I’m here now. I was around 220 when I started but within 6 months was in the 160’s. Now I’m ketoing and IFing to try to rid myself of the stubborn belly fat. I’ve been 16:8 for a month or 2 and just this week have started experimenting with 24hr every other day fasting. I’ll do another measurement at the end of the month to see if I’m losing anything. I’ve been keto for 10 months now and am loving life! Keep calm and Keto on my friends.