newbies
progress

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #41

@mikki
the OP wrote it first.
C’Mon. Read carefully. SMDH

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #42

@mikki
Did you read the OP’s original post? SHE calls it that. Don’t accuse me of skinny shaming. K thanks.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #43

I agree, of course!
Probably shouldn’t call it vanity in your original post then if you find it offensive.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #44

The OP called it vanity weight herself:

Let’s be clear I am not shaming anyone.

(What The Fast?!) #45

Haha, I don’t find it offensive. What I mean is that some may call it vanity (and that’s cool with me - I mean, it’s not necessary to my health that I look like a Go-go dancer.). :joy: To me, it’s not vanity - it’s just wanting to be lean and tone. It probably doesn’t help that I live in Las Vegas and spend my weekend at pool parties with women who have 14% body fat. It’s a bit of an altered reality here. :slight_smile:

Call it vanity or call it “those last 15 lbs,” or call it “this Goddamn back fat that will not leave me alone.” Either way, I hope tocall it gone soon!

(eat more) #46

did you not see the question mark?

(Richard Morris) #47

Yeah that’s a major reason for people who haven’t yet become sick to do keto - instinctive eating. Which for me indicates that this must be closer to the diet we evolved with than any other pattern that appears to require scarcity imposed by the environment or conscious restraint against your instincts.

Remember that your body doesn’t necessarily want you lean, it wants to optimize your survival chances. So when it has the resources it will build capacity into you to survive the next famine, illness, stress shock.

If you have got your insulin secretion under control, then moderate caloric restriction will fight your bodies desire to keep that extra 10-20lbs of safety fat.

If you don’t have your insulin under control, then when you calorie restrict you will not have access to body fat so your metabolic rate will drop (lethargy and appetite both increase) and will take energy from lean tissue.

You have to decide if that is what you want to do, armed with the facts.

BTW: The first database I ever worked in was called Foxbase - that brings back memories.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #48

Did you not see the OP called her own issue “vanity weight?” And she’s not upset in the least that I repeated her words.

(eat more) #49

i didn’t accuse you of anything i asked a question…with a funny emoji…it wasn’t meant to be upsetting

the word “vanity” isn’t what i was questioning anyway

like there’s something wrong with eating this way to look good and not to correct a medical issue?
some ppl just want to look/feel good and there is nothing wrong with that
i used a question mark then and now because that may have been how I read it and not your intent and then explained my point of view

i don’t get the hoopla.

(Cocker) #50

It feels that way doesn’t it…it always seemed that something along the lines of ADF feels more natural too. Not necessarily done in a structured way (every 36 hours or whatever)…but rather, eating when the opportunity arises…using fat most of the time and whatever carbs you have for emergency (run away! run away!) situations.

Interestingly there’re proponents of whole-food veganism who insist the same thing…that the body finds balance on a natural plant-based diet…that absolutely wasn’t my experience ha.

Yeah - good point…thanks for your insight @richard. I’ve seen many fitness types who achieve lower body fat levels but don’t necessarily recommend it…because it turns in to a nightmare…as you say, once you get to a certain point your body really isn’t on-board with going further.

As I’m new to keto I think I’ll just see where my new “normal” is…and concentrate on doing activities/training that I enjoy for their own sake, rather than chasing numbers. The belly water retention has been a big win, and genuinely frustrating due to its day to day variability.

Haha - old school! :smile: I vaguely remember Ingres classes in the early 90’s…I never gave them much attention - too busy trying to write cool demos for my amiga. Sadly I have a shocking lack of artistic ability so my demos were as bad as my DB course work.

(David) #51

Amiga. That takes me back. Zool!

(Michelle) #52

Wait, what’s FasciaBlaster? what’s it used for?

EDIT: Okay, googled it. Figured it out. :smile:

It is a massage gadget that apparently works right down into the fascia. There is a whole load of “science” built up around it and the woman who designed and sells it is quite something. How true it all is I don’t know but there is a whole load of anecdotal support for it as treatment for all sorts of things. The stuff that impresses me most is not the cellulite type treatments but things like back pain and spinal misalignment, help with fibromyalgia and other things. Just google FasciaBlaster and Ashley Black and you will get her website. Plus there is a LOAD of stuff on YouTube and also a big FB group. It is not cheap in a way but if it works it is super cheap. I haven’t used mine that much yet but I did use it during bad back week. I have a week at the end of March when I am always working in the same garden, mostly weeding. I usually end the week in a lot of lower back pain and have trouble walking upright! This year I would say problem reduced by 75% by using the FB in the shower every night. Now one massage would cost me over 100 euros here - not that I usually do that but… I would say it paid for itself in the work that I COULD go on to do after bad back week that I usually can’t. Check it out.

(Michelle) #54

thanks! Would love to hear how you like it, and how easy/hard it is to use to get your results. I listened to one of my podcasts on fascia and the importance in the body, and now I’m really intrigued by it!

Well for the lower back pain - worth it alone.

For sculpting areas of my body into more desirable shapes - to be seen!

For rejuvenating my face that has saggy jowls and a veritable roadmap of lines - to be seen! I have a FaceBlaster en route with friends coming over from the US.

(Michelle) #56

this is it if you are interested:

http://highintensityhealth.com/shalini-bhat-fascia-is-now-an-organ-mobility-low-carbhigh-fat-diets/

Ooooh. I will watch that later. Thank you.

I know a few people who have bought one and they are all happy with it.

(Michelle) #59

On Amazon, there are different models on there, much cheaper than the Ashley Brown. I wonder if they are all the same quality… and there’s that hot oil too, to warm up the area.

I have a credit at Amazon, so it’s my go-to for buying things since I’m a little strapped for cash at the moment!!

Yeah I get you. I have read comments that they don’t cut the mustard. I have though ordered a couple of the ones that look like octopi and are dead cheap. The one I have is quite big and a bit unwieldy - great for my back but less so elsewhere. I wanted the mini for things like my foot arches but not forking out so ordered a couple of the octopi instead. TBH they look much the same. I have seen an ingenious device that screws 4 of them on to a broom handle! They would certainly be a cheap way to test drive her one on a smaller scale.