Questions about sugar

(Troy) #41

^^^^
Yup…so true
Hit us all up with the Science from above?:smile:
New topic and thread perhaps :thinking:

(the cheater) #42

@cloudy - As someone mentioned above, it sounds like you may not be ready for keto. You have to want the effects of keto more than you like the taste of the food you think you’ll be missing.

To say that you can’t bear to give up sauce for food is pretty telling. Maybe it’s because I’m a guy or in the Army and had to eat MREs, but I couldn’t care less about sauces, spices, or other anything else people usually like with food. I’m all about easy, convenient, and satiating. If I can eat it with my fingers? Even better!

Don’t worry about the incidental carbs in food; that’s not going to hurt your progress. for the first few months, just keep track of literally EVERYTHING you eat and drink using MyFitnessPal or a similar app so you can know exactly where you are and not overdo it on carbs. Good luck!

Thank so much!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

But windows are yummy, not to mention nice and crunchy . . . :smiley:

(All right, I’ll show myself out . . . . )

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #45

Sucanat is not remotely better for you. If anything, it’s not quite as harmful. It’s a bit of a strawman to say that cane sugar is materially different from beet sugar, as they’re both inessential to human health with minimal benefit beyond energy use.

Additionally, sugar feeds SOME cancers. There are cancers that eat fat (like breast cancer… imagine that). There are even cancers that eat ketones.
I’ve linked this before, but while ketogenic diets may be useful in the treatment of SOME cancers, they might be deadly in the treatment of others:

I have a thing about chiropractic doctors… in that chiro was a wonderland of quackery when I was growing up… It’s cool that folks like Dr. Jockers and Dr. Berg, but I kind of dislike that they are considered Drs like Dr. Mike Eades, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Gary Fettke, Dr. Shawn Baker, Dr. Ted Naiman, and so on… people that went to medical school instead of Chiro for profit college.

I don’t mean to piss on things you’ve posted in earnest, but a wee bit of skepticism goes a long way to sorting things.

(Bunny) #46

That’s what we are here to figure out, skepticism is our friend not the enemy!

The sugar cane being stripped of essential minerals and was the point! Eating excessive amounts of sugar or carbs is not essential!

Cancers, Tumors can live, survive or metabolically adapt to:

1. Fat (fatty acids)
  1. Glucose (Sugar)
  1. Ketones
  1. Insulin
  1. ?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #47

A tablespoon of sucanat is still gonna spike your blood sugar, drive your insulin, and screw with you in the long run. It’s a question of degrees of badness, not a question of marginal food quality. It’s still sugar. It’s the same 4g of carbs per tsp. Maybe there’s some rounding error, but with 4% vitamins and minerals, including non-heme iron, if it’s more healthful than table sugar, it’s by a matter of degrees…

Let’s apply a wee bit of skepticism here. This is a study pushed by the sucanat folks about how great their product is.

It’s 93% sucrose. 3% other sugars (that’d be the molasses), 4% salts, minerals and ash.
They are very excited about a serum glucose response that is about 9 mg/dl at 30 minutes and 18 at two hours… It’s technically a little less glucose and possibly a higher fructose. They didn’t do anything but look at blood sugar, but we know that fructose has it’s own problems.

I think the trace minerals and vits is marketing towards the credulous. How much sucanat will you consume to reach a significant fraction of your RDA min in B6, or magnesium or whatever… enough to put insulin through the roof… that’s what got everyone here in the first place…

I’m likewise skeptical of everyone who claims they have solved all cancer. It doesn’t work like that.

(Bunny) #48

Hmmmm?

100 grams of blackstrap molasses has about:

290 calories
zero fat
zero cholesterol
37 milligrams sodium
75 grams carbohydrate
zero dietary fiber
55 grams sugar
zero protein
0.7 vitamin B6 (34 percent DV)
0.8 milligrams pantothenic acid (8 percent DV)
0.9 milligrams niacin (5 percent DV)
0.1 milligrams thiamine (3 percent DV)
1.5 milligrams manganese (77 percent DV)
242 milligrams magnesium (61 percent DV)
1,464 milligrams potassium (42 percent DV)
4.7 milligrams iron (26 percent DV)
17 micrograms selenium (25 percent DV)
0.5 milligrams copper (24 percent DV)
205 milligrams calcium (20 percent DV)
31 milligrams phosphorus (3 percent DV)
37 milligrams sodium (2 percent DV)

(CharleyD) #49

Nope, no matter how endowed its mag and potassium, that’s still too much sugar :zipper_mouth_face:

(Bunny) #50

Agreed! Better for you if your a sugar burner!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #51

So that’s why my weight loss stalled. Why did no one on this forum tell me that windows were high carb!!! No more eating windows for me…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #52

I don’t even think that’s a viable nutrient source for a sugar burner.

To get the B6 RDA, you’re talking 220g carbs.
Magnesium: 122g to get RDA

Yeah… that’s before they get anything useful macronutrient wise.

Could it be part of a healthy diet? maybe. Not for anyone on carb restriction.

I am new tp the forum and oops, just asked this same question. I’m confused. I see all sorts of Keto recipes where some ingredients have sugar in them. Natural sugar like tomato sauce which has 3 g sugar. So is “some” sugar ok? Natural Ok? None ok? I’m confused and want to do this right. thank you…………

As a general rule, as long as it fits within your daily 20g of carb intake it’s fine. As long as eating sugar doesn’t trigger cravings.

It also depends if you count total carbs or net carbs. If you count net carbs on keto, that means you a) count carbs minus the fiber content and b) you can include some sugar alcohols (erythritol, stevia, allulose etc) which in most cases don’t spike insulin levels. So you don’t count them towards your daily carb allowance.

But be aware of products which use maltitol, sucralose etc they’re listed as having no carbs but they’re notorious for spiking insulin like normal sugar does.

Also be aware that fruit sugar (fructose) gets processed by your liver and is then stored as fat and isn’t able to be used as energy like glucose. So keep fruit intake to a minimum.

Thanks again. I am indeed counting net carbs. I don’t eat fruit and am using Stevia, Swerve etc.

I have just read Keto should be “zero” sugar and when I see sugar (natural) in an ingredient (tomato sauce, some protein bars) I got confused. Zero or no ?

Really depends how hardcore keto/metabolically deranged you are.

If you’re the sort of person who the taste of sugar can trigger cravings and start you on a downward spiral, then avoid it all. Also if you’re diabetic/insulin sensitive/inslulin resistant also keep it to a minimum.

But if you’re in control and it fits within your daily carb intake then it’s totally okay.

Obviously choose naturally occurring sugars (except fructose) over added sugars when you can, but I still eat a little tomato sauce now and then, I eat dark chocolate which has added sugar. Keep it under 20, you should still stay in ketosis. No problem. But if you do notice a weight loss stall with a sugar increase maybe rethink.

Perfect this helps a lot. Thank you!