Questions about sugar

Hello. My girlfriend and I are just starting out on this epic journey of losing weight and healing our bodies. I have one big question. What’s the deal with sugar? Overall I’ve seen its a big no. What about cream cheese? It has 1g of sugar. Is that a no? So far I have pretty much made my girlfriend mad because everything that says sugar I say no to. I am the sugar Nazi. What about natural sugar? Like in fruit? I am very OCD. So my OCD is kicking in and if the diet says no sugar I want to stick with it. Any help is a big plus. You guys/gals are awesome!

Keto on!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

The search feature on this forum is your friend

(matt ) #3

You generally want to avoid added sugar and keep your carbs under 20 a day.

1gr in cream cheese is not really an issue unless you are eating 20 servings.

Fruit is your call…lots here don’t eat a lot of fruit. Those that do tend to stick to berries and limit the amounts.

You need to find you what works for you.

It’s more than sugar. It’s carbs. Even a product that is “sugar free” or has “no added sugar” can have a lot of carbs. I would suggest tracking everything you eat for a few weeks. Calories, carbs (total and net), fat, protein, so you get some idea of what you’re eating.

Some illustrated low carb food guides from the Diet Doctor web site:

My simple concept of Keto is “minimal carbs, adequate protein, fat as needed”.

So, the primary goal is to keep (net) carbs low. How many carbs you can take in and be Ketogenic varies by individual. 20 is usually a “lowest common denominator” where anyone would be in ketosis. But many can go up to 50. Some can go even higher.

The secondary goal is to make sure you get enough protein. That requirement varies significantly, based on gender, height, weight, body composition, and activity level.

After that, calories and fat are based on satiety. If you get hungry (physical, not emotional), eat more fat. If you want to lose weight, try to restrict it. But not enough to make you be hungry and binge. Once fat-adapted, hunger levels go way down. For me, it’s the best thing about Keto. I used to have a constant, gnawing hunger all the time, even after I’d gorge myself.

(Leslie) #5

The internet is full of keto friendly help and education
Here is just one

Keep calm and keto on

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

I keep an eye on carbs. All sugar is counted in the carbs. By keeping my carbs coming from vegetables, berries, cheese, eggs, and dark chocolate, I find I don’t have to worry about added sugar.

So, I am doing a total of 20g of net carbs. So are you saying I can eat sugar as long as I stay within the 20g? For instance within the 20g, I can eat 10g of sugar? This is the confusing part of the keto diet. I look for recipes and a lot of them have some sugar. For example cream cheese. I know it’s only 1g of sugar but it’s still sugar. Thanks for your response.

Some people might disagree, but I think its pretty difficult to COMPLETELY cut out carbs because its in all fruits and veggies.

Id say definitely dont go thinking that since you have a 20g carb allowance a day that its ok to eat an M&M or some sugary sweets. You should be getting most of your carbs from green veggies or fruits like berries. There are carbs in cheese, cream, and lots of other things naturally but thats ok!! The carbs are so few that its fine. BUt its those small carbs that are the 20g allowance.

Just get rid of the sugar in your house completely, you dont need it. Find a sweetner alternative that you enjoy like erythritol, monk fruit, or stevia!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Mileage will vary for different users.

I wouldn’t eat 10g of sugar straight, nor would I eat anything with 10g of sugar in a serving. I could, but I view my carbs as opportunity. If I have a 10g serving of sugar, I have 10g left for the day, which will limit the things I do want to eat. If I get it from low glycemic fruit, and maybe some cream cheese, then I have made better choices.

Ultimately, I’m in the Pro-Protein camp, so I think Ben Bikman put it most simply:
1- Control Carbs. 2- Prioritize Protein 3- Fill with Fat.
That’s the order of priority. Always keep carbs low. The rest is details.

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #10

My cream cheese has the following ingredients: pasteurized milk and cream, salt, carob bean gum, cheese culture

I guess you are assuming it has sugar because of the “sugar” line on the nutrition label.
There are different kinds of sugar and cream cheese has this sugar content because of the lactose on the milk/cream/cheese.

I look at the total carb/fiber/sugar amount on the nutrition label to see if it fits my macros and then I look at the ingredients and try to avoid anything that contains sugar, high frutose corn sirup, dextrose, etc.

Thanks everyone! You guys and gals have really made a difference.

Well, for me, I won’t think so.

How about the sauce on the outside food? I mean, all those sauces taste good on the food. I cannot bear to give them up.(or I should say, even if I can give them up, I need to spend lots of effort also. And before one is going to say “fat makes food better” I cannot trust fat to make my food as wonderful. <_<

Some sauces are totally fine! Especially if you make your own and replace the sugar requirements with a non calorie sweetner! You might run into troubles at restaurants because there could be “hidden” carbs in anything.

Honestly I feel like if you arent sure the sugar content, its ok to indulge in moderation. But there are PLENTY of sauces that are naturally sugar free anyway.

Yeah… but what makes it worse is that those hidden carb is one of the reasons why the food is so tasty, so I cannot even bear to give it up.(Or request it to be without those sauces, as those sauces are their signature secret weapon to make the food good… <_<)

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

It’s possible that you are really not ready for the lifestyle transformation that most folks do when they go keto.

Sauces of unknown ingredients in Asia generally means sugar/honey and or cornstarch for thickening. So, eating proteins or vegetables from a restaurant with a secret special sauce is probably not compliant with keto.

(Runs on bacon) #16

Save your carbs for incidental carbs in your coffee, green vegetables, nuts, cheeses, etc. They’ll add up quick.

but if it is just them, then I am not yet too high from 20grams, right? Or actually it will shoot all the way up to 200grams?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

I just wrote this in another thread. Here goes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

You might also give this video a view, and then tell us what you think. At the time it was recorded, he was a professor of pediatric endocrinology at the University of California at San Francisco medical school, where he also ran a clinic to treat obese children.

(Rachel) #20

Here’s the way I started thinking about it to make the transition bearable the first few weeks.
First some history, I’m a carb fiend. Pasta, potatoes, bread…my kryptonite. Started keto bc I didnt like weighing what I did, and my insulin was at 18 (OMG, I know. My doc told me I wasn’t pre-diabetic, yet. Scary.) No other health issues other than the freaky insulin and some spine stuff.
First two weeks, I set off to research the death out of keto (ruled.me and diet doctor are your friends). Meanwhile, I went on a meat and veggies diet. No fruits, grains, root vegetables, or sweets, to the best of my ability. All that time, I tracked everything I ate in an app (I use Carb Manager). I ate what I wanted, and I didn’t care if my carbs we’re 25 or 50 or 100. I didn’t count calories, I just ate and tracked. This trial run helped me see how the carbs added up, what foods are better, and which ones I could only have a little bit of (or should stay away from all together). Once I felt like I kinda knew what I was doing, I started really restricting carbs and adding fat. Those first few weeks, my protein intake was super high, so I had to adjust. Then I had a few bad carb days, no big deal. Just needed to adjust.

In short, there’s no keto police. We won’t shun you if it takes a bit for you to get into the swing of things. We’re here to help and support. :slight_smile:

It’s not a very science-y, explanation, but it makes sense to me.

Now, my opinions on sauces.
If I can’t see the nutrition facts and measure it out myself, I don’t eat it. 2 net carbs for 1 tablespoon might fit into my carb budget for the day. But 6 net carbs for 3 tablespoons may not.
Homemade sauces are your friend. No preservatives, sugar, or chemical sweeteners that will still impact your insulin (It’s important to note that there are some wonderful no-calorie and therefore no-carb sweeteners that are totally fine to eat. I’ve seen a lot of people use stevia, Swerve, monkfruit, or erythritol. The bad chemical sweeteners could include sucralose, aspartame, saccharin. Just keep an eye out)

For me, eating out on keto is an absolute nightmare. Some places don’t even use real butter, so you end up with butter flavored chemicals in your body (which weirds me out). And many chains get their food mostly premade and frozen, which usually means it’s gonna have weird stuff in it, and the cooks on the line can’t do one single thing about it. (This is from my own fast-casual restaurant employment history.)

In short: When you eat a premade sauce at a restaurant, you really don’t know what’s in it, and therefore how many carbs are in it. It could be 5 or 25.

Those sauces taste amazing. I agree. But, I’ve gone down the internet rabbit hole a few times and found out that a lot of the time these delicious things include chemicals (preservatives, bad sweeteners) that have been shown to be highly addictive. You may be addicted to some of those chemicals (and/or sugar. Sugar is addictive too). Don’t feel bad about it, most people are. That explains why you feel like you can’t bear to avoid them. So, just like any other addictive substance, you’ll go through withdrawals. And the withdrawals are hard, and you’ll want to break, but YOU are in charge. Your body can kick and scream all it wants, but YOU are in charge. (Of course, if something is really wrong, see a doctor. I am not a doctor. :slight_smile: )

Good luck!!!