Questions about sugar

(Empress of the Unexpected) #31

Thank you for the reminder about the eating window. I’ve only been doing this for a month and tend to “forget” about the window.

but how to keep eating windows? Even if you feel hungry during non-eating windows…?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #33

It’s only been a month but I am getting my appetite under control. The one meal I have always been able to skip is dinner. I eat a huge breakfast. For instance this morning I had six strips of bacon with two cheddar slices. Realized that would not cut it and had four more strips and two more cheese slices. That will definitely tide me over until around two, when I will have my second meal. No doubt will have a snack. So I should be able to go from three to three and then not have breakfast until nine? 18 hours. The more I get into this the easier it is. Initially I was not eating enough per meal. Because historically I have been a “grazer” and ate mindlessly all day long. And I have heard that even 12 hours can be of benefit. That’s easy to do. How long can you comfortably go without food? Are you really eating until you are satisfied?

(Consensus is Politics) #34

It gets much easier as time goes by. If you can’t make it through a six hour window, and end up eating later in the day, way after your planned window, then try starting that eating window a lot later to make up for it.

I anticipate the first thing that comes to mind is “then what about breakfast?” Then just skip breakfast. It won’t hurt you to miss it. It’s a myth about it being the “most important meal of the day”. That’s more marketing slogan for cereal companies than science. Personally I don’t even eat breakfast anymore. My first meal is typically between 1100 am and 3 or 4 pm. And then that’s it. One meal. I eat about 75% of my calories at that time. The other 25% is coming in the morning with my BPC (bullet proof coffee ®️). I don’t know what else to call it, seems like the name stuck. Anyway, my coffee is about 500 calories. All fat. And I’m slowly working that daily coffee close and closer to my eating window. It’s helped too. I recently broke my plateau, and finally got under 190 lbs. As of this morning I am officially 189 pounds.

Also know, that once you are in ketosis, that is no longer burning sugar for fuel, you will almost never feel that same hunger again. I was eating only when I felt hunger. Next thing I knew, I had gone for three days with no food, and no hunger. I freaked, and ate right away. It wasn’t as if I had no appetite, I just wasn’t hungry. When I decided to eat I was able to eat just fine, and once I became satiated, I just didn’t feel like eating more. I just put the rest of my meal in the fridge for the next day.

TIP: if you feel hungry, and have been avoiding carbs, try a pinch of salt on your tongue. Make it a big pinch. Let it dissolve onto and under your tongue. It will be absorbed nearly instantly into your blood stream. Wait a few minutes. And try once or twice more if it doesn’t work. It works for me every time. I used to get a power urge to snack, something I’m used to doing all the time, which I no longer do. The salt trick works. The feeling goes away within minutes.

(Consensus is Politics) #35

Eating until you are satiated is important. It’s much healthier to eat one large meal, if you can manage without feeling stuffed, than to eat and snack all day. Remember, it’s all about keeping insulin levels as low as possible for as long as possible. Once I understood this it became so much easier to do.

(Bunny) #36

Speaking of sugar thought this recent (April 28, 2018) article from this website was interesting?

“Sugar in the Raw” is Not Really Raw at All!

”…Most White or Brown Sugar is GMO Beet Sugar: “…Another HUGE problem to watch out for is that most white or brown sugar in North America is partially or totally beet sugar. This sweetener is nearly always genetically modified. GMO beet sugar is visually and taste-wise completely indistinguishable from white cane sugar. Is beet sugar healthy? It comes from a vegetable after all. No, it is not!

Sugar from sugar beets is nutritionless and contaminated with GUT DESTROYING GLYPHOSATE[2] residue. Nearly 100% of farmers growing it use Monsanto’s[1][3] Roundup Ready sugar beets. The package must specifically state that the sweetener is cane sugar. Else it is almost certainly a mixture that is wholly or partially GMO[1][3] beet sugar. Even brown sugar commonly contains at least some white beet sugar mixed with cane sugar molasses. The molasses from sugar beets is not fit for consumption. …” …More

[1] HEALTH HAZARDS OF GM FOODS
Myth: GM foods are safe to eat? Truth: Studies show that GM foods can be toxic or allergenic

[2] Unreleased FDA Testing Reveals Glyphosate in Common Household Foods May 1st, 2018

[3] GMO or OMG? Bullet-proof yourself against Genetically Modified Organisms now!

How Sugar Feeds Cancer Growth:

Related References:

1. MINERALS FOR LIFE, A BASIC INTRODUCTION - Dr. Lawrence Wilson “…Phosphorus, the most fiery energy mineral. It is required for energy production, DNA synthesis and protein synthesis. It is also needed for calcium metabolism, muscle contraction and cell membrane structure. …”
  1. THE AMERICAN DIABETIC ASSOCIATION DIET - Dr. Lawrence Wilson “…There is no discussion of the horror of refined sugar. Refined sugar has had many of its vitamins and minerals stripped away. The more one eats of it, the more nutritionally deficient one becomes. Eating sugar destabilizes the blood sugar more than most any other food item. …”
  1. HFCS Dangers (relabeling name change?) Note: HFCS-42 or HFCS-55 (regular HFCS)==to==>HFCS-90 (highly concentrated) ==>Fructose\Syrup (under certain % scheme)
  1. Glyphosate Pretending to be Glycine: Devastating Consequences
  1. The Hidden Source of Cancer, Fibroids & Tumors

(E.O.) #37

Thanks @atomicspacebunny for posting this and especially the reference material “Minerals for Life.” Printed that one out and saved it–such great info!

(Consensus is Politics) #38

“You Bunny, always bring me the very best science”:sunglasses:

(Very loosely modified movie quote, extra Geek points if you know the original quote :face_with_monocle:)

(Troy) #39

Thanks @atomicspacebunny …once again, huge fan of Dr. Jockers!
Just Quick shout out…the visuals, slides, charts, and presentations are so appealing to the eye in detail…His research and work.
Thanks for posting the “ science eye candy “ dare I say😂

(Bunny) #40

Imagine an automated interactive GUI with animation like the infographics made by Dr. Jockers in a TensorFlow like programming language with an artificial intelligence engine, it would be like a college education in a nutshell and the knowledge of the average doctor would be common knowledge because the visual GUI is much better for the brain to process than physiology books if it is in a interrelation database that could correlate specific cross connections to one specific subject and display the complexities in a visual format! It would work more like the associations in the neural network of the human brain. Would make Google look like childs play!

(Troy) #41

^^^^
Yup…so true
Hit us all up with the Science from above?:smile:
New topic and thread perhaps :thinking:

(the cheater) #42

@cloudy - As someone mentioned above, it sounds like you may not be ready for keto. You have to want the effects of keto more than you like the taste of the food you think you’ll be missing.

To say that you can’t bear to give up sauce for food is pretty telling. Maybe it’s because I’m a guy or in the Army and had to eat MREs, but I couldn’t care less about sauces, spices, or other anything else people usually like with food. I’m all about easy, convenient, and satiating. If I can eat it with my fingers? Even better!

Don’t worry about the incidental carbs in food; that’s not going to hurt your progress. for the first few months, just keep track of literally EVERYTHING you eat and drink using MyFitnessPal or a similar app so you can know exactly where you are and not overdo it on carbs. Good luck!

Thank so much!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

But windows are yummy, not to mention nice and crunchy . . . :smiley:

(All right, I’ll show myself out . . . . )

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #45

Sucanat is not remotely better for you. If anything, it’s not quite as harmful. It’s a bit of a strawman to say that cane sugar is materially different from beet sugar, as they’re both inessential to human health with minimal benefit beyond energy use.

Additionally, sugar feeds SOME cancers. There are cancers that eat fat (like breast cancer… imagine that). There are even cancers that eat ketones.
I’ve linked this before, but while ketogenic diets may be useful in the treatment of SOME cancers, they might be deadly in the treatment of others:

I have a thing about chiropractic doctors… in that chiro was a wonderland of quackery when I was growing up… It’s cool that folks like Dr. Jockers and Dr. Berg, but I kind of dislike that they are considered Drs like Dr. Mike Eades, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Gary Fettke, Dr. Shawn Baker, Dr. Ted Naiman, and so on… people that went to medical school instead of Chiro for profit college.

I don’t mean to piss on things you’ve posted in earnest, but a wee bit of skepticism goes a long way to sorting things.

(Bunny) #46

That’s what we are here to figure out, skepticism is our friend not the enemy!

The sugar cane being stripped of essential minerals and was the point! Eating excessive amounts of sugar or carbs is not essential!

Cancers, Tumors can live, survive or metabolically adapt to:

1. Fat (fatty acids)
  1. Glucose (Sugar)
  1. Ketones
  1. Insulin
  1. ?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #47

A tablespoon of sucanat is still gonna spike your blood sugar, drive your insulin, and screw with you in the long run. It’s a question of degrees of badness, not a question of marginal food quality. It’s still sugar. It’s the same 4g of carbs per tsp. Maybe there’s some rounding error, but with 4% vitamins and minerals, including non-heme iron, if it’s more healthful than table sugar, it’s by a matter of degrees…

Let’s apply a wee bit of skepticism here. This is a study pushed by the sucanat folks about how great their product is.

It’s 93% sucrose. 3% other sugars (that’d be the molasses), 4% salts, minerals and ash.
They are very excited about a serum glucose response that is about 9 mg/dl at 30 minutes and 18 at two hours… It’s technically a little less glucose and possibly a higher fructose. They didn’t do anything but look at blood sugar, but we know that fructose has it’s own problems.

I think the trace minerals and vits is marketing towards the credulous. How much sucanat will you consume to reach a significant fraction of your RDA min in B6, or magnesium or whatever… enough to put insulin through the roof… that’s what got everyone here in the first place…

I’m likewise skeptical of everyone who claims they have solved all cancer. It doesn’t work like that.

(Bunny) #48

Hmmmm?

100 grams of blackstrap molasses has about:

290 calories
zero fat
zero cholesterol
37 milligrams sodium
75 grams carbohydrate
zero dietary fiber
55 grams sugar
zero protein
0.7 vitamin B6 (34 percent DV)
0.8 milligrams pantothenic acid (8 percent DV)
0.9 milligrams niacin (5 percent DV)
0.1 milligrams thiamine (3 percent DV)
1.5 milligrams manganese (77 percent DV)
242 milligrams magnesium (61 percent DV)
1,464 milligrams potassium (42 percent DV)
4.7 milligrams iron (26 percent DV)
17 micrograms selenium (25 percent DV)
0.5 milligrams copper (24 percent DV)
205 milligrams calcium (20 percent DV)
31 milligrams phosphorus (3 percent DV)
37 milligrams sodium (2 percent DV)

(CharleyD) #49

Nope, no matter how endowed its mag and potassium, that’s still too much sugar :zipper_mouth_face:

(Bunny) #50

Agreed! Better for you if your a sugar burner!