Question regarding ketosis and glucose levels

(Bill C) #1

So I have been fasting for the last 72 hours. Feel better on my third day than the previous two. However, my glucose reading is 63 and my ketosis level is 3.8, which is in the starvation ketosis range. What does one do in this situation? Is it safe to go without food when ketosis levels are this high? I know a lot of people have gone for very long periods. I’m sure several on this site. What is the thinking when you hit these levels? And do people that do 21 day or 40 day fasts soar into the 7+ ketosis range and equivalent glucose readings? And, if so, what is the general thinking on this. Thanks.

(Doug) #2

Bill, if you feel okay, then I think no worries. People have gone down into the 30s without problems. If you’re not feeling faint or like “low blood sugar,” then your body is handing it well. I’m not sure about ketone levels.

(Bill C) #3

I have felt general discomfort the whole time. Not unbearable but just a general malaise, which I expected. Today, however, I was definitely light headed, nauseous and felt tingling in my extremities. Nothing that would warrant a trip to the doctor but noteworthy. I find it interesting that many express greater mental clarity, euphoria, they don’t have sleep as much, etc. I tend to equate that to, at least for me, being on edge.

(Doug) #4

It varies a lot for me. 20+ fasts from 3 days to 10. Only a handful of times have I felt really great and energetic. Do get the mental clarity thing more often. I think salt helped me feel better at times, but not always.

The process of fat-adaptation and insulin resistance decreasing (if that’s what’s going on) isn’t necessarily fast or pleasant. We’re all individuals with our own hormonal picture, etc., but if one has substantial fat reserves to burn, my opinion is that some amount of ‘pushing through’ is good - the body needs energy, and even if it takes some time to get the message across, the message is “burn our stored fat for energy,” certainly a good thing.

Yeah, these EFs can be confounding and each time I do a 3+ day I seem to experience them differently. Day 3 always gets easier from a hunger standpoint but not always an emotional or energy standpoint.

On my only 5-day fast I felt great but it was a weekend and social demands ended it. I also had an indoor painting project going and it kept me focused and distracted from fasting. Last week I did another 4 day and it wasn’t difficult but did not provide me with any incentives to keep it going. Not bad, not great feeling.

I am now tracking my new EF (just into hour 24) and doing some things a bit different. Hydrating just the same with pink salt and dill pickle juice but not going to take in so much water that I flush the electrolytes out too fast.

And I’m not pressuring myself to do x number of days. May ended it at 2, may go 5 or 6 — my old, scarred heart will tell me.

(Doug) #6

Yeah, Ben - I think for many of us (a majority?) that variability will be present. I wanted to fast all of last August, and quit after 6 days. Similar feeling on my last try - wanted to go for at least 6 days, and bailed after 3. Not really hungry, just felt mentally crappy and like “wanting to eat.”

(Bob M) #7

I’ve done about 10 4.5-5. day fasts and many 3+ day fasts, and each is different. Dr. Fung says that the second day is the hardest, but I remember one 4.5 day fast where at 4 days, I suddenly got incredibly hungry. The only reason I made it to the next day was because it was already 8:30pm, and all I had to do was go to bed. That, and eating causes my body to immediately want to get rid all of the water I have accumulated, and I therefore try to end my fast in the morning/near lunch.

I’m an expert only on how my body to fasting. You have a GKI =1, it generally takes me 3 days of fasting to get to that level and it stays in that range (+/- 0.25) for the duration of the fast. During this time, my BG is usually 50-70 mg/dL and ketones 3-5 mmol.

So long as you feel fine, your body is probably tolerating the fasting ok.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

unless you are diabetic, ketone levels do not matter and you are not at any risk.

(Bill C) #10

I think that is a good approach, to leave it open-ended. Quit when you feel like quitting. Just curious, why do you do so many fasts? After this one I found myself saying “OK, that’s it for fasting.” I did get immediate results in terms of weight loss but I’m thinking it won’t take long for the weight to be put back on. For me, I think the IF approach probably works best because it is not so onerous, so draining, so uncomfortable, so unenjoyable.

(Bill C) #11

Candidly, I didn’t feel fine through the whole fast. It was tolerable but not comfortable. I felt like I was metaphorically gnashing my teeth the whole time.

Its not unusual for block fasting to be uncomfortable. Part of it is physiological (ie. lightheadness, low tolerance for cold, lethargy) but a large part is psychological. Dr Fung uses the analogy that fasting is comparable to exercising a muscle.

I’ve found that to be the case for me. I started fasting 18 months ago, and settled on a routine where I ate on average (my fasts were/are always open ended) one meal a weeek, until I reached normal weight. It did get easier. I’m at the point where I can fast indefinitely at a moment’s notice with no mental anguish.

I use fasting as a tool, not a goal. So I never fast for a predetermined number of days. I listen to my body and end a fast when it tells me to do so, or when social obligations intervene.

(Mike W.) #13

I agree. Your body is not going to overproduce ketones to the point of making you “sick”.

I’m at 52 hours now and am OK but a bit cold — it’s a cold night — and I would end it if not so close to bedtime. Will just swill down some dill pickle juice tonight before bed along with ACV.

Will probably end it about noon tomorrow (64-66 hours) and call it off. Trying to pace these fasts leading up to Christmas. May do a couple of more 48s before then.

(Bill C) #15

If I could sleep better fasting would be a lot easier but unfortunately when I am hungry I don’t sleep well at all.

(Jane) #16

How long do you normally fast? Because I only go to bed a bit hungry the first night. After that I don’t get hungry enough to notice.

I know everyone experiences fasting differently, which is why I ask.

(Bill C) #17

I’m a wimp. 3 days.

(Jane) #18

Nothing wimpy about 3 days!

Do you still experience hunger after the first day?

Fasting is different for everyone. And some fasts harder than others.

One fast I went to bed hungry every night for 3 nights but wasn’t uncomfortable enough to stop fasting. Other fasts I just have to make it to sleep on day 1 and then I can breeze through the other days.

(Herb Martin) #19

You are NOT a wimp.

You are you, and only you should decide what it best for you and your health.

Don’t compare yourself to other people – the record medical fast is 382 days and NONE of us will be doing THAT.

Compare yourself to what you have done, and what you find safe and comfortable ENOUGH for you.

Fasting is easy for me. I’d be a wimp too if it were difficult. :grinning:

(Bill C) #20

I guess for me what it comes down to is what is the pay back for the pain, so to speak. Fasting is a faster way to reach one’s goals but it creates greater discomfort. Therefore, I think for me, it is preferable to work out longer rather than fast. No magic pill for weight goals, that’s for sure. Just have to continue to make the effort. Also, I find that I put the weight back on faster when I come off a fast. Not sure why.