Question on sugar in Keto Recipes

Hello, I am new to forum and to Keto. I’ve got it down pretty much I’d say and I’ve been researching, educating myself a lot.

I did search the forum so pardon me if this was answered. I have a Keto recipe for crust less pizza. I bought pizza sauce (like suggested, no time to make tonight) and the ingredients show 3g sugar. I know it’s not a lot but aren’t we supposed to have Zero sugar? Why would this recipe allow 3 g sugar. Or can you have some “natural” sugar. I can’t quite get a straight answer from anyone.

thank you !

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

Tomatoes have natural sugar. You’re fine.

Oh thank you. So that’s the key “natural” sugar………

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Sugar is something to be wary of, when eating a ketogenic diet. It is wise to avoid any product that contains added sugar, or which lists any form of sugar in the ingredients.

Foods that naturally contain sugar are better, but still to be treated with caution. If the amount of sugar you are actually eating fits within your carb limit, it should be fairly safe.

The caution comes from the fact that a molecule of sugar (sucrose) consists of a molecule of glucose bonded to a molecule of fructose. The glucose contributes toward raising your insulin level, just as with any other carbohydrate, but the fructose can be metabolized only in the liver, and in too great a quantity can cause fatty liver disease. Definitely treat with caution.

ETA: Fructose can also have the same kind of addictive effect on the brain as alcohol has. Not everyone is vulnerable to sugar addiction, but if you are, that’s even more reason to be careful!

thank you