Question about subtracting Fiber from Carbs

(kac) #1

Hello! I’m starting the Keto lifestyle for the second time. Was trying to find an answer for this but with no luck. I know about subtracting fiber from total carbs, but sometimes there are alcohols and sugars underneath the Carbs as well. Do I subtract those as well?

Thank you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

No, just the fiber. Non-fiber carbohydrate is what you want to keep under 20 grams daily.

(kac) #3

Thank you so much!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You’re welcome!

(Ethan) #5

I disagree. The answer is really that it depends on the person. Some people don’t metabolize sugar alcohols. Others do. For some, the gut bacteria metabolize them into something that the person can then metabolize! The same is true for fiber. I have eaten some “low carb, high fiber” items and had a severe blood glucose reaction (e.g., 30g carbs, but 24g fiber). Others can tolerate it.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #6

You will see a lot of this. The general consensus that I’ve seen is that you subtract half of the sugar alcohols. However, I will tell you my doctor says that sugar alcohols are still carbohydrates that should be avoided. Now, what is the right answer? I’m not sure. I guess my advice is test both ways and see what works for you.

(Ethan) #7

Exactly. As I showed, even fiber can be wrong. In that one example, of 30g - 24g fiber = 6g net, my blood sugars went from 100 to 180, which shows that I somehow metabolized that fiber.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #8

I agree COMPLETELY. I was (mostly) just trying to show an example of how two people’s opinions are completely different, and right in a row. Mostly, I was echoing this: