Question about PUFA's

(Jim) #1

Hello everyone,

Right now starting my second week on my Mediterranean diet where I eat around 40-50% protein and mostly Mono fast and keep my saturated fat low because I’m not handling that very well. Those eggs and bacon did more harm than good (Figured out that I have sensitivity to eggs, unfortunately) It’s my 3rd time doing keto and everything is going so much better. I eat 1 Salmone every day and mostly poltry/lean beef and choose my own oils to add the fat like olive and avocado oil. The only nuts I eat are Macadamian nuts and I stay away from the PUFA oils.

Now I was reading some research that Salmon also contains PUFA. Especially on this forum, I have seen many posts about being careful with nuts and especially seed oil. Will it still be okay for me to eat 150 grams of Salmon a day? I go so incredibly well on fish, it makes keto sustainable for me and it gives me a lot of energy.

(Bob M) #2

I would say you’ll be fine, if fish satisfies you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The issue with PUFA’s is with those that come in the industrial seed oils, which only entered the food supply a little over a century ago. Even olive oil only became a foodstuff a few centuries ago. Until then int was a lamp oil and a cosmetic.

The human race has been eating seafood for well over a million years, I believe, so the PUFA’s in it are ones we are used to. Likewise with the PUFA’s in butter, tallow, lard, and bacon grease.

(Jim) #4

Thanks Paul, that is very good to hear.

(Bob M) #5

I’d guess it’s the amount of PUFAs. If you’re eating 2 or even 3 pounds of fish a day, that’s probably a lot less PUFAs than if you’re eating fried food, anything that’s been prepared (it all seems to have sunflower oil), etc. Where I am, even olives are packed many times in sunflower oil.

(B Creighton) #6

Most fatty fish are relatively high in PUFAs. Omega 3s are PUFAs. So basically all foods which have any fats have some PUFAs. In nature fat always comes in all 3 forms - saturated, mono and PUFAs. I consider fish to be very healthy, but the thing about PUFAs is that they are easily oxidized fats. They are somewhat higher in white meats like chicken and pork too. I have no issue with raw nuts. Their PUFAs are going to be naturally healthy. If they are roasted, however, that is typically in some PUFA oil at relatively high temps. I eat them raw.

So, I basically cook fish and white meats at lower temps now. My fish is typically pan grilled. This minimizes the oxidation of those desirable Omega 3s from the fish(unless you are eating farm raised - don’t do that). No blackened fish for me… I just drizzle lemon juice over my salmon and sprinkle with capers, salt and pepper while cooking… it is very good.