Question about not losing weight

(Chris Gill) #1

I started the keto diet at the start of the year. My start weight was 217lbs and i managed to drop to 205lbs within 2months. I then went on holiday and ruined it, my weight went back to 212lbs. I then started again when i returned and i am now at 208lbs after another 2months back on keto. However the past 2 weeks i have stayed at that weight with no change at all. Why is this? Is it normal?

My ketone levels are between 4-6mmol on a normal day (using blood test kit). I do feel leaner however.

I make sure i always hit my protein macro, my fats is sometimes a little low and virtually zero carbs every day.

Thanks

(traci simpson) #2

Thatā€™s not something to worry about really. Lots of things contribute to no weight loss. Have you gained anything? what are you eating usually? are you active? are you sleeping?

(Chris Gill) #3

Ive not gained anything since restarting no.

I usually fast in mornings until 12:30pm and ill eat a salad with some form of meat included (or eggs)

For tea i will usually have a piece of meat with broccoli/asparagus/mushroom etc

For a snack, maybe a piece of 85% dark choc or some pork rinds/pistachio nuts.

I walk in the mornings and nights as i have a dog and get between 6-8 hours sleep most days.

(Libby) #4

People are now going to say, there it is, body recomposition! Be patient, etc. Body healing. Muscle weighs more than fat, maybe your bones are getting denser too. Focus on the non-scale victories.

They are also going to ask about artificial sweeteners, alcohol, carb creep etc.

You may even be accused of eating too much, even if it is all keto. You may be advised to eat more, maybe you put your metabolism lower by mistake. You may be advised to fast or at least limit the hours in which you eat.

Me, I just forget about progress altogether when I can (I bottle up my despair and refuse to examine it) until it bursts out in ridiculous self-pitying posts.

Just do the best keto you can every day and eventually things will improve. I am thinner and more healthy. Not as thin and healthy as I would LIKE to be but itā€™s trending that way.

Itā€™s not a crash diet. Some of us take flippin forever to get to goal weight.

(traci simpson) #5

Iā€™ve been doing this since April and Iā€™ve lost less than 10 pounds but my body comp is changed and Iā€™m not mad!!!

(Chris Gill) #6

I dont use sweeteners at all. I maybe overindulge on whiskey now and then i suppose. I have gone down 2 trouser sizes and 1 tshirt size so im not complaining. Just wondered why i lost alot at first and now nothing. Seemed strange

(Libby) #7

Images like this can be usefulā€¦ Maybe all that good sleep and protein is encouraging your body to switch out some fat with muscleā€¦

I wasnā€™t saying I would accuse you of not doing keto ā€œrightā€ā€¦ Iā€™m sure you are! I think I am, too, so the slow weight drop is disconcerting. I meant to say, you arenā€™t alone. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Cathy) #8

How close are you to your goal weight?

I would suggest dropping the chocolate. It has sugar in it and that can be contrary to weight loss even if it is low. If you feel the need to have a snack (which is also contrary to weight loss), have a hard boiled egg. If this is not appealing, that may mean that you donā€™t really need a snack.

BTW, your menu is not near zero carb according to your description. Just good to be aware.

I like your attitude and think you are right about being healthier and keep on keeping on.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Dr. Phinneyā€™s advice (heā€™s the guy who coined the term ā€œnutritional ketosisā€ in the first place) in several videos Iā€™ve watched is, if youā€™re feeling stuck, (1) eat less carbohydrate; and (2) if that doesnā€™t work, eat more fat. On no account, he says, should you eat more carbohydrate.

People lose fat at different rates, because they have different levels of insulin resistance. Also, we tend to forget that a ketogenic diet is not actually a weight-loss diet, but a weight-normalisation diet. The shedding of any excess fat is actually a side effect of the metabolic healing that the diet promotes. And the key to that healing is to eat as little carbohydrate as we can manage, making sure to get enough calories by replacing the missing carb calories with fat calories, so as to keep our insulin level healthily low.

(Scott) #10

This is something I had to break the habit of because it just doesnā€™t fit in. I now when my snack urge hits pop some pink salt on my tongue.

(Chris Gill) #11

that was just an example, i rarely go about 5net carbs per day. According to carbmanager anyway

(Bob M) #12

Iā€™m not even sure how you can get that low in carbs. I think for your weight, itā€™s just a small bump and not a big deal. Iā€™ve hit many times when the scale didnā€™t show anything (a reason I no longer use it) but something else (belts, pants, etc.) indicated I was changing body composition.

(Cathy) #13

It might be a mute point about the amount of carbs but ā€˜netā€™ carbs is something that can be problematic because nobody knows for certain what individual bodies actually absorb in carbs or not. Generally, if your total carbs are 20g or less, then you should be fine BUT sugar in chocolate could present a real problem.

I am not familiar with carbmanager but be careful about user inputā€¦ can be really inaccurate - if that is part of that program.

(Susan) #14

Maybe watch this and see if it helps =-).

(PSackmann) #15

This is totally normal Chris, and itā€™s called Post Induction Stall Syndrome (PISS). Hereā€™s a link to topics related to it Post Induction Stress Syndrome . Hang in there, it sounds as if youā€™re doing everything you should be doing, now itā€™s time to KCKO

(Bunny) #16

In my opinion your still eating just enough to keep your glycogen stores filled up (glycogen deficit?); does not matter whether itā€™s carbs, fats or protein if you were to lift weights depending on how often and how much muscle mass you already have and what muscle mass your building or will be building which also takes time (recovery period) before you start burning up the real body fat and/or fasting (extending your meal windows farther apart) a little more you will notice more body fat being burned for fuel.

Biggest mistake (your not gaining or losing body fat) people make is eating a big meal after working out (ā€¦or tired after work in your day job?) when all your doing is replacing what you worked so hard to deplete (glycogen); so the scale does not move in the way of fat loss or water weight but more in the way of muscle gain so that is why body composition with a tape measure is more accurate then using a scale unless you know what your actually measuring (e.g. BMI bio-electrical impedance)?

Ketones or BHB donā€™t tell you jack squat because what your most likely seeing is more dietary fat being burned than body fat so how are you going to know whatā€™s really being burned for fuel? (hint: it canā€™t be done like that and is waste of time and money)

Looking at ketones is kind of like a sight seeing tourist trapā€¦lol

BTW: ā€¦eating a little tiny bit of protein when feeling a little hypoglycemic can release glycogen when needed (low blood sugars) and eating too much (e.g. retaining loose skin long term) will replace it (gluconeogenesis); it is a very delicate balance indeeed!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

You finally kicked the macadamia nut addiction, kudos Scott! :cowboy_hat_face:

Even eggs have carbs. Chocolate, vegetables and pistachios too. I donā€™t know how you can eat these and be at five carbs net. Bacon, eggs and espresso put my breakfast carbs at five and I never eat nuts or chocolate. Whiskey drinking while carb free delays ketosis and fat burning even at an ounce or two you are slowing down your progress. Just be aware of your goals and choices. I think you are compromising your goals with these treats so slower progress is the result. Prioritiesā€¦?

:cowboy_hat_face:

Iā€™m wondering if these readings are artificially high because you are consuming ketogenic oils like MCT or coconut, or some exogenous ketones? Higher levels without multi-day fasting or supplements indicate a lower insulin condition, but if you are boosting ketones intentionally they actually begin to regulate how much fat you can get out of the adipose cells.