Question about fasting blood sugar

(Maryann ) #1

I keep to the 20 grams or less of carbs. But when I wake in the morning my FBS is 112 roughly. I did not eat for several hours before bed. I was reading on here about you liver releasing glucose over night. I am assuming I am doing this as my ketones are always lower in the morning and rise as the day goes on. Is this an issue? If it is what can I do? I do not have diabetes but I am certainly insulin resistant and had gestational diabetes with all 3 of my pregnancies, requiring insulin. Thank you.

(Omar) #2

for how long you are on keto?

Hi Maryann, how long have you been eating the keto way? Your body may still be healing? As you experienced gestational diabetes you are considered to be at greater risk of T2D but don’t be concerned, let your body heal and don’t stress about it . It’s only slightly raised and it could be your “norm”.

As a T1D I do have to be very aware of the impact of protein on my BGs in the absence of carbs; so still have to inject bolus insulin for protein, but at a lower rate. Maybe look at lowering your intake of protein slightly night before?

The liver produces glycogen in the body upon waking often referred to as the dawn phenomenon (or liver dump), to get you ready for action for the day ahead. A lot of insulin resistant and diabetics find that by eating something immediately upon rising on a morning can help to lessen the effect. Worth a try?

Check this out for info: a simple explanation
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Ali

(Omar) #4

It took me 4 weeks of keto to quit metformin and stabilize my BG at 130.

It took another 6 months of keto to bring the BG from 130 to 90.

So it could take time to bring your fasting BG down depending on how insulin resistance you are.

(Maryann ) #5

I have been following this woe for over 2 months, almost 3 now.

(Maryann ) #6

Thank you, that helps to know this.

(Maryann ) #7

Eating in the morning is always really hard for me. I hate to eat when I get up. I get up around 6 AM but can’t typically eat until 10 AM. I have been this way for years. It actually turns my stomach to think of eating earlier.

T2 diabetic here. Keto allowed me to stop using insulin and metformin.

I find the most stable blood sugar readings I have are in the evening before I go to bed, but at least 4 hours after the last food I ate. In the mornings, my blood sugar can be lower, or 10 to 20 points higher. It varies wildly. For example, yesterday it was 116 in the morning when it was 94 the night before. My average for the past two weeks is 106 in the morning and 97 the evening before.

I understand, I’m the same but I do manage a coffee with 2 teaspoons of cream cheese now. Does the trick for me.

(Randy) #10

Those numbers are fine. Dawn phenomenon has many people higher in the morning and 112 isn’t bad at al for an insulin resistant person. Ketones typically go up as the day goes on. Only a couple months in I’d say you’re doing good.

(Omar) #12

Same
I can not eat till after mid day and do not eat beyond 9pm even before keto

(Diane) #13

Thanks for sharing this excellent article!

(Jarod King) #14

IF you are fat-adapted, this higher BG reading in the morning is normal…and is a good thing if it is within the normal BG range. From an evolutionary point of view, your liver produces glucose via gluconeogenesis every morning to supply your muscles with the burst of energy they need to jump out of bed and get moving. But if you are fat adapted, your muscles are also fat-adapted, and they are basically saying “we don’t need no stinking sugar!” So the glucose builds up a little. No worries though, in a healthy fat-adapted person, that reading should be the highest BG reading you’ll have during the day. It should slowly decrease as your brain uses it for fuel. You can verify by testing your BG about 1 - 2 hours after your first meal (assuming it’s keto).

(@Insulin_Resistant) #15

Alpha: thank you, I seem to be having a similar experience. My fasting BG seems to be finally lowering after 2-3 months of keto. I guess some of us just take longer to adapt. . . hopefully!

(Nicole) #16

My FBG went down in the first few months of ketosis but it rose again after a few months. I started keto in part to address rising BG and prediabetes, so rising FBG was concerning.

I worked to lower it. I fasted. I stopped eating after 6pm. I used ACV at night and then tried wine. Exercise. Nothing seemed to work consistently, or much. I’ve kinda just given up and accepted that my FBG will usually be between a 5 and 6, and that it will fall throughout the day. In fact, it usually falls as soon as I eat something. :wink:

(Keto Victory) #17

Sounds like you’re doing fine. Is 6 your peak BG during the day?

Another thank you for this article! I am two months in, just started exercising again, and noticing higher morning FBG concurrently with lower ketone readings, especially during fasts. It’s nice to have an explanation of physiologic insulin resistance and adaptive glucose sparing. Makes sense!

(Omar) #19

Adaptive glucose sparing.

The body sees the glucose and the ketons.

And decides to spare the glucose and use the ketons.

Amazing

(Linda) #20

My understanding is that when your BG (therefore, insulin) is low, your liver puts out glucose to compensate - your body’s way of protecting itself in time of need.
Once you eat something, your insulin goes up which can drive your BG very low.