Question about alternate day fasting

(Rachel ) #1

Hi all. I’ve been keto for about 6 weeks and naturally transitioned from 16:8 IF to OMAD. I feel great but I’m just not seeing the numbers reflect that on the scale. The other night I was listening to the dudes podcast with megan ramos and something she said really resonated with me in that omad is not something they do in their trials because restricted calories consistently allows your body to modify output to reflect the deficit. I’ve been eating around 800 calories a day and I feel my body is conserving energy to reflect that. I’m going to transition to alternate day fasting but my question is she mentioned feasting on your eating days and that you should eat the calorie equivalence of what you would have eaten on your fasting day in addition to your feasting day. If I’m down to 800 calories would that be 1600 for the day or twice my maintenance calories so 3200?

(Raj Seth) #2

Feasting when not fasting means eating Keto to satiety. Satiety is really really really full. Thanksgiving full. “Not another morsel” full.

Last night, after a 4.5 day fast, I had 2 orders of 2x2 animal style, and then a 5guys lettuce wrap bacon chz.

That’s 1lb4oz minimum grd beef + bacon, mayo and a tub of salted in shell peanuts!!
Feast like you mean it - when eating - make it count!!

Using whatever calculator- set maintenance, and then ignore the output and eat to satiety :grinning:
If your metabolism is wrecked from years of CICO fiascos, then maybe eat a couple bacon strips past satiety to restore metabolic health

I don’t count calories (:stuck_out_tongue: @tdean) but I feel great and have high energy.

(Chris) #3

At 800 calories a day or 1600 every other day, expect to not lose anything at all. Your metabolism is completely tanked.

Best advice is stop fasting for now, outside of say, 16:8. And you need to bump up those calorie numbers, those are rookie numbers (lol). Seriously though, if you want to be able to burn calories you need to train your body to require them before you drop into a deficit. At this point you are risking some major hormonal problems if you don’t already have them.

(Chris) #4

And you’ll probably gain a little eating 2000+ calories a day, at first. But in the long run you’ll have better fat loss success.

(Rachel ) #5

I think my major issue is that there is so much conflicting information about macros and eating to satiety. I keep track of calories so I have an idea of how many carbs I’m in taking but 800 calories are the average of what i eat to satiety. What I think I will do is go back to if 16:8 for a reset for a week with 2 meals a day and then go into adf. Thanks for the insight!

(Jennifer) #6

Hi Rachel,

I agree with @Dread1840. I think you aren’t eating enough. It sounds so weird, I know, and certainly can be quite the adjustment mentally. We are so conditioned to think we need to starve ourselves in order to lose weight, but that’s just not true when doing keto. I have a hard time eating all of my calories too, especially since I hate being full. What helped me the most was adding in some macadamias or pecans. Delicious, calorie dense, and high in good yummy fat. Thanks for posting and sharing your story! :slight_smile:

(Karen) #7

@skepticalgiraffe - have you done ADF?
@Rajseth - have you tried it?
It works for me sometimes. Sometimes not.

I agree, this is hard to accept, but it’s true. Here’s an article from the NY Times on what happened to the contestants of The Biggest Loser. It’s really tragic what they put these people through, and how they ended up.

I don’t count calories, only carbs, and really I don’t do that, because I try to just the foods that are safe.

I don’t want to think about it too much. :grin:

(TJ Borden) #9

Instead of basically saying the same thing, but less articulately, I’m just going to quote @Rajseth, because he nailed it:

I know exactly what episode you’re talking about because it was monumental for me too. Prior to that I too was trying to force OMAD. Most days it was easy, but some days I had to fight quite a bit of hunger. Now, I don’t follow a set schedule. I’ll still rarely eat outside of a 6-8 hour window, but if I’m hungry, I eat. I don’t snack, if I’m going to eat, I EAT.

(Allie) #10

A week is nowhere near long enough to even start fixing your metabolism.

As others have said, best to forget fasting altogether for now and focus on repairing the damage so when your body is healed, it can actually get on and do what you want it to do.

(Raj Seth) #11

I do EF, not ADF. EF fits my sked. I fast 3, feast 3, and sometimes skip the fast depending on where I am.
In the end, I have ended up with 1/3 fasting, 2/3 feasting for the year so far - 97 days of the last 279 fasted
I do look forward to the fasts now :+1:

(Raj Seth) #12

Awwwwwww shucks… Thanks TJ.
I don’t preach anything I don’t practice…

(Kema V) #13

I agree! When should I believe my satiety vs how do I know if I’m eating enough?

I would do two things. First, track your calories for a couple weeks so that you can know when you’re under-eating. Second, eat more calorie dense foods! Have some macadamia nuts after a meal, add more butter or oil to your veggies, top your meat with hollandaise or another calorific sauce.

Last night, for example, I wanted a taco bowl. After browning and seasoning the meat I added about 1/4c heavy cream and probably half a bag of shredded cheese to make a cheesy sauce. Then I topped it with a big scoop of sour cream. Served it with a couple pieces of bacon on the side. Then I had some pork rinds and a coconut butter cup (like a pb cup but with caramelized coconut butter) after dinner.

(Kema V) #15

But what would be considered under-eating? Currently I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day. I’m only 5’1.5 and weigh 130.

(Muhammad Nasim) #16

I think you would still lose weight at 800 cals per day as your rmr is not going to adapt down to that level. But your hormones will screw you up, you will be miserable and eventually you won’t be able to sustain it. I lost 28 lbs that way before hitting a wall.
So the eat to satiation using hflc is the better way to handle the eating days if you are doing fasting.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

Can I please respectfully disagree?

Satiety is eating to comfort, knowing there’s still food on your plate but you don’t really need it as you feel satisfied.
THANKSGIVING Full, is what we are trying to avoid. No one needs to eat so much food that they feel their stomach stretching and are actually in pain.

(Running from stupidity) #18

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

(TJ Borden) #19

I agree. I take @Rajseth’s point, but “thanksgiving full” for me is unbuttoning my pants for extra room and passing out on th couch in a turkey coma.

Of course to be fair, I could never disagree with my girl :kissing_heart:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #20

Well, shucks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: