Quarantine Helped Me Restart & Stick to Keto

(Kathleen Lupole) #1

I am not really a newbie but consider myself one since I have not stuck to my keto plan. I was weak and could not stick to my food plan for more than a few days, sometimes hours! I blamed other people I ate with. Like my boyfriend or my neighbors in my building when they would have potluck dinners in our community room once a month. Then I had such an addiction to ice cream. I had just about given up. Then this quarantine happened. I stayed in my apartment and didn’t have to go anywhere else to eat. My boyfriend would take me to store but I cooked and ate alone. What a difference it made! I watched almost every keto Youtube channel I could find. I use Fitday to track my food.

I am not a youngster so wasn’t sure how well I could do this time. I use a mobility chair when I am outside or a rolling walker in my apartment and when I go shopping. So I couldn’t really do much exercise except walking with the walker. Now as the quarantine is lifting, I am planning on joining the YMCA so I can swim for exercise. I tried to use a recumbent bike but my knees are not able to handle that. Swimming will help me I am sure.

I started this on June 1st and have stuck to it. Since then, I have eaten with my boyfriend but would not eat anything not on keto. One thing he did the other day was to bring me a big bag of York peppermint patties because he knows I love them. I do. But I would not take them and when we went to his house he found them in his car and asked me why I put them there. I told him I do not want them in my apartment and he knew better. He did. I guess now he sees I am serious. We went to eat with his family last week and I ordered a cheese omelet and bacon and turned out his cousin was eating keto too. I love it and I feel great. I know I will be successful this time.

I am not weighting myself until I go back to my doctor’s office whenever that might be. I have two pairs of pants that I use to gauge my loss with. They have been so tight I could not pull them up. In just a month of sticking to it, I can wear the first pair if I want to. I can actually sit down with them on and not feel like a girdle.

Thank you for all the information on this forum I don’t always comment but I take notes!

(Jane) #2

Congratulations on being able to stick with it this time! And happy you feel good on keto - that makes it easier.

(Bob M) #3

Whatever it takes to get to keto is good.

I wouldn’t be too concerned with exercise (unless you like it, as I do). If anything, think about lowering the number of times you eat per day. Maybe (sometime later) try some fasting, even 36 hours. Fasting also isn’t critical, but can help.

At some point, exercise is good. Just don’t get shocked if your scale weight is wacky; it might even go up. Gauge more by how you look and whether your pants fit.

(Kathleen Lupole) #4

I have been eating breakfast/lunch after noon and supper always around 5. No eating after 7 but I am usually not hungry for snacks between meals. I mean after a week of sticking to it, I have felt unbelievable.

Thank you for your reply.

(Kathleen Lupole) #5

Thank you, Janie!

(Pete A) #6

That’s inspirational! I’m looking forward to hearing future results.

(Susan) #7

It sounds like you are doing great and are really sticking to your plan, now, Kathleen. Congrats on your success so far, and I wish you continued progress and health =).

(Kathleen Lupole) #8

Thank you!

(Kathleen Lupole) #9

Thank you, Pete!

(Melissa Kinder) #10

Wow congradulations. I did the same. I started May 3rd during quarantine. My boyfriend joined with me on May 28th. He saw I was serious and decided he could do it too. It feels great. I am so proud of you. Keep up whatever activity you can do. There are lots of chair exercises you can do in your apartment on days you can not go swimming. Swimming is so great for the body. Good luck and would love to see more.

(Kathleen Lupole) #11

Thank you, Melissa! I am now viewing the quarantine as an opportunity. Which it was. I see a lot of people posting on social media how much weight they gained and I am thinking to myself it didn’t have to be.

(Kathleen Lupole) #14

Thank you, Maryana! I am not sure what the difference for me this time is. I am sticking to it with no problems and no craving anything else.

(Melissa Kinder) #15

True true