Pushups and Squats Challenge

(Tessy M.) #21

This is exactly what I did when I incorporated squats. My rule was 20 each time I used the bathroom. It worked well for me. I also began doing the same with wall sits.

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #22

Tessy,

I think this is a great way to start. And the program you choose definitely depends on your goals. One point of note that I found when I was doing my pushups is that when I did my reps spread out more over time I was able to do a bunch of pushups in total but I was never able to crack that raw number of pushups in a single rep. I was doing 10 - 13 sets of 30 - 40 and occasionally I would do a day where I would do 1000 pushups in total spread out over sets of 20 reps but for vanity I wanted to do 100 in a row and I could never really crack 50 - 60 with good form. So, I guess I got what I trained for. I guess my point here is that if your goal is to do a certain number of pushups at one time then you have to train to increase your reps per set and do your sets closer together.

Take all of this with a grain (or two) of salt. Iā€™m not the boss of you :wink:

(Tessy M.) #23

Haha! I gave up on vanity when I began doing squats in a bathroom stall. :joy:

Ok, Starting tomorrow. Anyone else want to Join?

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #25

Ugh. So weak after slacking off for months. Couldnā€™t even do one :sob:. My pushups suck too. I did try them after my chest/tricep workout soā€¦

Just gotta keep on it.

(Chris) #26

Thatā€™s the right attitude. Do more tomorrow, get after it!

(Tovan Nhsh) #27

So I kept the date, but good grief have I lost upper body strength. I made a whole whopping six! ( three separate sets of six throughout the day). Anyhoo- Iā€™ll keep at it.

(Pat) #28

Ok! Iā€™ve got a late start- but Iā€™m in! 8:30pm and Iā€™m doing PUSH-UPS!

Ok, Yesterday I got 10 total.
set one 5
set two 3
set three 2

Doing my first set of squats in a couple of minutes. Remember, track your total amount.

James

6 total or 3 sets of 6 for 18 total reps?

How many did you get?

(Nicole Sawchuk) #33

I am doing something similar. I would love to do a pull up someday! I need to buy a bar for the house and start the negative pull ups! I doing something similar with my push ups. I am trying to slowly as possibly lower my self to the floor as often as I can. My arms have always been so weak and push-ups are my nemesisā€¦I blame the big jugs I have.

(Tovan Nhsh) #34

3 sets of 6. In my head I should still be able to do 30 + easily, too bad my body disagrees.

(Adam Kirby) #35

Negatives are a great way to build strength if you canā€™t do the full move! Then try to hold an isometric hold at the bottom of the move for additional time under tension.

(Pat) #36

I did 10! Then my shoulders started to creak but-WOW!- thatā€™s 10 more than Sunday! Squats this AM got to 5! (Ouch)

2 sets of 15 squats, so far today. I feel like my heart is going to blow up.

(What The Fast?!) #38

Iā€™ll join in! I just did the initial test at 12 pushups, counted that as my first set, so hereā€™s my first day: 12/12/7/7/9
(and 63 hours fasted!)

Ok, 3 sets of squats today.
15, 15, and 10 for a total of 40
The sad part is my legs are killing me!

(Pat) #40

Wednesday 5AM
12 Pushups! ( ok- compared to everyone else- kinda pitiful) Hey stop that! They arenā€™t me! 67 yr old arthritic granny that I am is Doing This!
YAY EVERYONE! GOOD JOB!