Pumpkin pancakes

(jketoscribe) #1

I thought I’d post this recipe for pumpkin pancakes because I love them so much I make then nearly every weekend!
I try not to do much dairy, so the cream cheese pancakes look lovely but not for me.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/11/pumpkin-coconut-flour-pancakes-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html

I made a few changes:
I swapped Great Lakes Collagen Hydrosolate powder for the protein powder
When I use a sweetener I use pure Erythritol (but they are fine without sweetener–I think the high carb count comes from the sweetener in the recipe).
I increased the cinnamon (you can never have too much cinnamon!)
I use coconut milk
The melted coconut oil seems to have dropped out of my transcribed recipe and I never noticed until I compared them today.

I don’t add any fake syrups to top them–I just put a pat of butter between each, and sprinkle on some chopped pecans. I usually make a whole batch and freeze them 3 or 4 pancakes to a serving. This makes a quick weekday breakfast as they are perfect after 1 minute or so in the microwave.

(ryancrawcour) #2

I often find with recipes from this site that they are not really low carb when you look in to the details. Or her definition of low carb differs greatly from mine (mine is < 20g per day).

For instance, this recipe calls for Pumpkin puree. I bet pumpkin puree is pretty high in carbs.
If you look at the Nutrition Info for this recipe, a single serving (2 pancakes) has 14 g of carbs.
That’s almost my entire daily carb allowance in 2 pancakes.
And honestly, who can only eat two pancakes.

And, she also often uses Whey protein powder. Whey does bad things to insulin levels, and being insulin resistant as i am, i wish to reduce the amount of insulin as much as i can. So eating something with Whey powder in it kinda defeats the purpose of avoiding carbs in the first place, #imho.

(jketoscribe) #3

As I mentioned, I do not use whey powder. Collagen powder works well (0 carbs). I don’t add sweetener so no sugar alcohol carbs.

I reduced the quantities in the recipe by 1/3 for four servings (I reduce by weight) That means for 4 servings I’m using 1/3 cup (90g) of pumpkin purée (Trader Joe’s) which comes out to 7.4 total carbs for my 4 servings or a little Less than 2 g per serving from the pumpkin.

Entering it in MFP, the bulk of the carbs come from the coconut flour–18.3 g for 4 servings (13.3 g of fiber) for a total of 4.5 g carb per serving total.

I get a total of 8.4 g of carbs per serving my way (I did not bother entering the spices so it may be a few more 10ths of a carb) with 4.1 g of that as fiber. 8.5 g of carbs is “expensive” if you count total carbs, but at 4.3 net it’s very reasonable and very low carb imho.

I lost 75 lbs counting net carbs, so it works for me, but I understand why you may choose not to make these if you count total carbs.

(ryancrawcour) #4

8.5g per serving is not too bad. I might give these a try with the Collagen powder substitute instead of Whey. Thanks.

I made some pumpkin pancakes during winter.

First I grow the pumpkin. I grow ones called a Kent pumpkin. But a JAP (Just Another Pumpkin) will do. I don’t use Butternut.

I’ll have to measure amounts next time, or track a glucose curve response on a continuous glucose monitor.

I cube and fry the pumpkin for a while in butter, then transfer the iron dish to the oven for about half an hour to bake. I allow that to cool. It is the base. I do not think sweetener is required when cooking with pumpkin or carrot. They are an intrinsically sweet fruit or vegetable.

I mash the pumpkin (skin on) with butter and eggs and then fry the mix in more butter.

But I just saw a recipe for Hungarian crepes that looked really nice. They added sour cream and boiled egg yolks. I’ll do that next time.

And I saw the thread about pork/bacon rind pancakes. Now I’m thinking that pumpkin and bacon are like Sonny & Cher. I might borrow a bit from that recipe as well.

All this when I’m not doing a carnivore challenge.

@FrankoBear nice looking Kent pumpkins…I halve, remove seeds, spray coconut oil or sometimes olive oil on the skin and bake the pumpkin (I only use Japanese, cause low FODMAP) and then scoop out the flesh later…much easier.