PSMF or supplement with fat

(Shawn Cochran) #1

Here’s a question for you - a Show me the Science question.

So I just did a 3 (76 hr) fast. Not what I would call enjoyable. I did it, but could definitely tell mentally I wasn’t all there and my body was starting to fatigue. I’m a 196# male with approximately 21-22% BF and have been in keto for 4 weeks now (and mostly on for the last 8 months - 40 # down) so I know I was operating at a body fat deficit. So the question is: If I’m going to supplement why supplement with fat and not protein? Gluconeogenesis isn’t a problem at the level of protein I would be consuming per day (0.8g/lb lbm). Seeing as protein is much more nutrient dense than fat (which is almost 0), then why supplement with fat? Show me the science!

Shawn
The ketogenic brewer

Would you mind clarifying a couple of items first please, to aid with providing you with a suitably tailored response:

When you say you have been keto for 4 weeks, do you mean following a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks, or that your body has been in ketosis for 4 weeks?

How tall are you?

What was the purpose of your fast, eg. autophagy, weight loss, personal challenge?

Also, what exactly do you mean by “supplement with fat”?

(Jan) #3

@Shawn_Cochran, I have no idea re: your post. Sorry for the off-topic reply.
However, you signed it as The Ketogenic Brewer. Can I ask you some questions sometime on brewing? I’ve just started playing with brewing country wines - dandelion, blackberry tip, carrot… Like, for example, my big concern: how do you determine the sugar content once it’s done fermenting?

(eat more) #4

are you saying eat .8g/lb of lbm as a supplement while fasting? (i’m confused)

short answer is that protein is insulinogenic (50% that of carbohydrates) and fat is not.

eating protein would produce insulin and at that point you’d just be eating restricted calorie/zero carb and not actually fasting

while fasting your body is scavenging fat and unnecessary cells…insulin would shut that down.

edit: i thought i could link some posts but i can’t find them right now…so much info on this forum!
i’m sure someone will come along with the actual science :blush:

this one may be a good start?

(Shawn Cochran) #5

I have been in ketosis and following a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks.
6 feet.
Purpose: autophagy, weight loss and personal challenge.
Supplementing with fat: http://blog.2keto.com/why-fasting-is-easier-for-some-people/

(Shawn Cochran) #6

Hey Jan,

I brew beer, but wine is basically the same process just different ingredients so sure I’ll help out with what I can. As brewers we use a Hydrometer both before, during and after fermentation in order to how many sugars where there to begin with (original gravity) and then how many are left at the end (final gravity). This difference tells us how much alcohol there is and how much sugar is left behind. For keto purposes I would use a yeast that is very attenuative (meaning it will east most of the sugars) producing a dry wine. Let me know what other questions you have. I’ll be on later today. Time to make the beer!

Shawn
The ketogenic brewer.

(Simon Saunders) #7

In a PSMF style approach you’ll need to ensure you hit at lest 12.2 g fat/d to avoid gallstones, i construct mine to hit 22g to 88g a day to be safe.

This study shows how many people devolved gallstones if the fat intake was to low.

In a PSMF style diet i would also add 3g of fish-liver oil and a multi vitamin as i learnt to heard was some B vitamins deplete to much in an extreme caloric deficient