Protein sparing pizza crust versus chicken pizza crust

(Bob M) #1

My wife and I have been trying these two recipes

A protein sparing pizza crust by the great Maria Emmerich:

For this one, we did not have a 15 inch cast iron skillet (can you lift that?). We put it in a glass baking dish (9x11, I believe), and it was still too thick.

We cut it in half and used it in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Using an offset spatula, you can get a nice thin layer.

Notes: The original recipe to us is too “dry”. It’s OK. I’ve found that if you add the Italian herbs as per the recipe, but also add 1 Tbsp (tablespoon) of Parmesan cheese, and some salt, it’s a lot better. This is for half the recipe, and it fits our 12 inch cast iron skillet. Note that this takes away from the “protein sparing”.

I’ve been using ghee as the “oil” for the cast iron. I think a combination of ghee with a parchment disk might be the best. Will try that tonight.

I may also try some other spices. (Eg, onion powder? Garlic powder? Garlic salt?)

This is the second recipe:

For this chicken crust recipe, we have been using cans of chicken from Costco. It works out to be some multiplier of the recipe, I think 2.5 times based on two cans of the size at Costco (will update the size when we get new cans; right now, we forgot to get these so are using store-bought cans). So, I use one of the yolks you don’t use in the Maria Emmerich recipe for this one, to get “2.5” eggs.

The nice thing about this recipe is you can make the crusts in advance, separated by sheets of parchment, and put them in the fridge for later. You can prep in the morning, say, and eat at night. You wait for the cooking part until the night.

You can make a super-thin crust with this. Our amount comes out to three pizzas, more like individual pizzas. It’s helpful when rolling to form the “dough” into a round disc prior to using the roller. This will create a better, rounder disc. Though you can also remove anything that’s out of round and put it where it’s not round.

This is also best for leftovers. It’s thin.

We’re still working on getting the ideal “crunch” for these. Sometimes, it’s better. It seems to be better if you use a pizza stone at 500F that’s been heated for a long while. Using a pan is OK, but not as crispy. The parchment tends to get wet, and you need to dry that out. The pizza stone does a better job of that.

When we do this, we end up with 3 chicken pizza crusts and one protein-sparing crust (one-half the recipe, cooked in a 12-inch skillet). We have leftovers for the next day.

Overall, the chicken crust is better. We’re still experimenting today

Will post pictures once we make some more.