Protein ratios explained - beautifully explained!

(Deb) #43

Come to my house, watch me eat all-out, no-holds-barred fat, and see if I don’t gain weight! I have tried over and over numerous times, and it may work for others, and that’s great! I am not “afraid” of fat; I just know how much of it I can have in my daily diet and still lose until I get to where I want to be. Trust me, on my refeed days, I literally sit down with a jar of vanilla almond butter, cream cheese and whipped cream and eat it straight out of the package! I am a binger and if I allowed myself free reign to fat, and, for that matter, protein or carbs, all the time, I would do nothing BUT eat all day long. I have found a protocol that works for me, and isn’t that what is important?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #44

I would just eat to hunger after that. I’m not sure activity level actually requires more. Studies are mixed.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Perhaps someone will kindly take pity on a poor noob and clear up his confusion?

First, am I calculating this correctly? I have about 150 lbs. of lean body mass, so that’s 68 kilos. So (adjustments aside), that means I should be eating no more than 68 g of protein a day, right? Now, assume there’s a meat that contains 28% protein; i.e., 28 g of protein in 100 g of meat. So I want to be eating 68 / .28 = (68 x 100) / 28 = 243 g (8.5 oz.) of meat in order to get 68 g of protein, right?

Secondly, if I am eating fat to satiety, why do I need to figure out how many calories I need and then eat less? If my body has stored fat to burn, isn’t it going to tell me when to stop eating so that it can burn its stored fat? I mean, if I’m staying low-carb enough not to stimulate insulin production, then my fat cells, I thought, are supposed to be tossing fatty acids into my bloodstream, and my other tissues are supposed to be burning them, aren’t they? And isn’t my body supposed to adjust my appetite to whatever level is appropriate to make up the difference between the energy my fat cells are providing and my total metabolic need?

This thread seems to be calling everything I learned before finding this forum into question—stuff learned from lectures by Dr. Phinney, Dr. Volek, Dr. Westman, Dave Feldman, Ivor Cummings, and others. Were they wrong? Am I missing something?

Your protein calculation seems to be right. As far as fat, eat to satiety. Don’t worry about calories.

(Deb) #47

Appetite is a very individual and, for me anyways, not relative to what I’ve eaten. I don’t have an “off” switch, so telling a person like me to eat fat to satiety is like telling an alcoholic to drink until you aren’t thirsty any more.
There are different methods of eating keto: some eat a lot of fat. I have to watch how much fat I eat because I am so close to goal and yes, I want to use body fat for fuel. It doesn’t mean you won’t be hungry; you just drink more fluids and salt and low GI veggies to keep full. My view anyway.

True. I definitely have an off switch when it comes to fat.

(Deb) #49

I just did a 4 day “refeed” and allowed myself free rein: I went from 129.8 to 136.8 in 4 days. And I ate mostly fats. It was delicious and fun, but if I did that all the time, I’d be right back up to 200 eventually. A healthy 200, but 200 nonetheless.

just watched this guy, thanks. I am still on the fence about the protein and fat amounts.
60 y.0. gained after a horse back riding accident and have not lost any weight. I do IF and changed my bullet proof coffee to the lunch meal. can’t say its making a difference. Constipation is still a problem too.
I know the science behind eating keto but am somewhat frustrated when I hear of success stories others have had.

thanks again for pointing to the guy.
BB

(Damon Chance) #51

Most protein sources have other things besides protein in them. Water, fat, cabs, etc. So 60gm of protien != 2oz of meat. It would nearly = 2oz of whey protein isolate but even that isn’t 100%.

Make sure you are using nutrional data when you calculate your macros.

(Damon Chance) #52

That’s the premise… my mind will quickly override that though… depending on what I’m eating. Once I turn on appetite I have to conciously turn it off and wait. My satiety signals are pretty weak compared to my “must eat it all” signals. That’s why i fence my day in with calories (naturally get this by tracking macros anyway) and I stop at a certain point and evaluate my hunger… sometimes i eat more later. Usually i just shut the eating window and start the next fast though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #53

Ah, it starts to make more sense. I guess I’m fortunate to have a fairly strong satiety signal, because I can still hear it through the addictive and emotional cravings. Does one’s hormonal signaling ever improve, assuming one stays in ketosis long enough?

(Damon Chance) #54

I hope so… I’m only about 4 months in so I’m still a newbie.

(Deb) #55

Some of us are born without a “stop eating” switch…keto or not. I can still binge, even though I am keto. I recently found a recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting: how much of THAT do you think made it to the table?!

(Central Florida Bob ) #56

Most protein sources have other things besides protein in them. Water, fat, cabs, etc. So 60gm of protien != 2oz of meat. It would nearly = 2oz of whey protein isolate but even that isn’t 100%.

I think this is wrong. One thing Dr. Sears got right in the Zone calculations was the idea of standard “blocks” of protein, carbs or fat. His were based on other people’s work, of course, I think it was diet “exchanges” from the ADA.

An ounce of good red meat, most cheeses, fish, chicken is 7 grams of protein. 7 grams is about 1/4 of an ounce, the rest being water, carbs, fat, whatever - don’t really care. So 60 grams of protein is about 8-1/2 ounces of steak/chicken or good protein source.