Protein ratios explained - beautifully explained!

(Deb) #1

Occasionally in my forays around the internet, which I don’t often have the time to do, but our internet was down at work today for a bit, and since we were having a discussion on another thread about protein ratios, and whther it was gms per lbs of LBM, or per kgs. of body weight or so on, I immediately ran into a beautiful post from one of the forums I occasionally “haunted” (for want of a better word!), since it is a bodybuilding site, and, although I am far from that (they are mostly young, male, and very muscular, and I am old, female and scrawny!) but Dr. Fung pointed me towards the leangains site, and it was just a normal progression to see what the eating/dieting tips were from people who have such incredible bodies.

Anyhow, this post, in response to someone asking about how to calculate his protein intake, was so incredible, and from a lady (I found out later) who is obviously well-educated, that I thought it deserved posting here:

From bodybuilding.com/forums:
posted by KataJojo:

“I received my graduate degree in molecular biolgoy with a specialty in biochemistry and here’s your mission, if you choose to accept it.

If you are trying to fine-tune your protein intake and be that specific about your nutritional (and weightlifting) goals, ALWAYS,  ALWAYS use your lean mass as your standard if you are overweight or trying to lose fat. 1 gram per pound of BODY weight (discussed earlier in the post) is a very loosely defined standard, it isn't scientific, and it's there as an easy layperson's “get more than you need just to be safe” kind of measurement.

NOTE: It is EXTREMELY difficult, rather impossible, to be in two metabolic states at one time…meaning you can’t be in a state of serious (body-building) anabolism (building tissue) and continual (weight loss) catabolism (breakdown of tissue) at the same time. If you are overweight, it’s best (in order to keep all your joints, tendons, ligaments, immune system, etc.) healthy, to choose which to do first:
a) lose fat, then build muscle, or
b) build muscle, then lose fat.

While losing weight, in order to not sacrifice nutrients for long life and important human functions, choose a routine and a protein intake that will MAINTAIN your current lean mass while decreasing fat. Then, when your body fat is near to where you want it, begin your anabolic routine. Most don’t do this because of impatience, and there will be those who don’t believe it, but you will thank me later in life if you do. Here’s what you need:

1. Get your lean mass calculated by a professional. Dexa scans at a university work best, or hydrostatic weighing.

2.Take your LEAN BODY MASS and multiply it by the factors below for whatever exercise routine you mostly adhere to. If you are:

Sedentary (no physical activity): LBM x 0.5

Light activity (20-30 minutes of exercise 2-3 times/week): LBM x 0.6

Active (30-60 minutes 3-5 times a week): LBM x 0.7

Very active (more than 1 hour 5-7 times/week): LBM x 0.8-1.0

Training athlete (multiple workouts of more than 1 hour) : LBM xx 1.0-1.5

If you follow this you will get more than enough protein to remain nitrogen positive while also avoiding protein waste and kidney stress.

(Becky) #2

Thanks for this posting! I have been stalled for some time now and finally got a reading on my muscle vs fat ratio. I came to the forum to find out what to do with those numbers. So now, I will happily keep calm and Keto on until I am much leaner!

(Deb) #3

So happy you enjoyed it and that it maybe clarified some things. It sure did for me. I’d love to sit this person down and pick her brain!

(Becky) #4

So, I just multiplied 124.8 X .5 = 62.4. Can you tell me what that means or how I can determine ounces of protein in a day?

(Ethan) #5

That is ounces, according to the calculation

(Zu) #6

This is the formula I have been using for a while - Also from bodybuilder.com

But some of their other macros formulas tend to over feed. 1200 cals vs 1600cals!!!

I think it’s best for people to find out how to do all calculations them selves with good formulae rather than apps and calculators.

(Carpe salata!) #7

There is about 30g in an oz … so ~60g = 2oz. Not much is it.

(Deb) #8

Right. I have a small scale (actually, a very antique one that my mother used on her useless low fat diets when I was a kid!) that has oz. on one side and grams on the other; what a difference! You think you are going to eat a lot when you think about eating 60 gms of something but then you convert it to oz. and you want to cry! But that is about what I do protein wise…maybe a little more- I eat about one chicken strip that is about a third of a breast or so (weighed after baking). Everything else I eat is low GI veggies or fat.

(Sophie) #9

Depressing. :disappointed: But now it’s easier to see how you can get messed up by drinking protein powder shakes.

eta: Mine came out to slightly over 3oz. Since I’m such a visual person, I found this chart and thought it might be handy on the fly or for those (like myself) that don’t always like to weigh out everything. Going OMD is looking more appealing or 16/8 with child portions…

portionsvisual

(Carpe salata!) #10

I haven’t bothered much with calculating macros but 3oz of meat must have a fair amount of water and fats … but thanks for that hand thing it’s neat.

I’m a bit confused here for several reasons.

First, the link gives me a 404 error.

Second, are we talking in lbs or kg?

Third, oz of meat and g of protein are not the same thing and can’t be converted without regard to the protein source.

[edit]
I’m going to add another one:

4 - some people may not be able to maintain ketosis using the high end of protein recommendations. While ketosis isn’t necessary to lose weight, many prefer to be in ketosis for other reasons.

(Lauren) #12

I think a LOT of people get confused by the meat vs protein oz/gram thing. I know I had to spell it out for my fiance.

(Carpe salata!) #13

Ok I better do some calcs…
100kg, say 25% fat , that’s 75kg LBM times 0.6 for sedentary gives 45 grams

Googled 70/30 mince which is 14g protein per 100g - so that allows 300g of lean mince beef (or 10oz)

Does that check out right?

(Zu) #14

Right, but per 100g or grilled chicken breast its around 30g Protein… is that what your getting?

http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/calories-in-chicken-grilled-breast-meat-only_f-Y2lkPTUwOTY5JmJpZD0xJmZpZD0yMDUyNzQmZWlkPTI0MzQzMjUwNCZwb3M9MSZwYXI9JmtleT1jaGlja2VuIGJyZWFzdA.html

@GhostlySmile he above link shows the confusion that 100g actual grilled chicken is 31g protein

Between cheese and meat, I am now doing 60g Protein a day. For me that is 4 oz of Aldi Sausage, 2oz of cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream. I weigh 210 pounds

PS I do under 10 carbs daily

(Becky) #17

Thanks! The discussion helped me clarify what I need to eat in a day. If I calculated correctly each of the groupings below should bring me in very close to 62 grams of protein a day. Except for the bacon cheeseburger day…lol!

4 ounces of ground meat is 30 grams of protein or 2 McDs regular beef pattys
2 ounces of canned sardines is 20 grams of protein or 1 can of season brand
1 round egg McDs is 7 grams protein
2 slices McDonald’s white cheddar cheese is 6 grams protein

1/2 cup pecans is 4.5 grams protein
Chicken leg and thigh is 24 grams of protein
6 oz ribeye small end 34 grams protein

6 tbsp Coconut cream (coffee) 3 grams protein
5 chicken wings (whole) 35 grams of protein
1 pork chop (3 oz meat) is 24 grams protein

1 oz cheddar cheese is 7 grams of protein
8 oz burger is 60 grams of protein
1 slice bacon 3 grams

That really helps. As further example, 15 oz of beef short ribs meat is about 62 gr protein and 154 gr fat. I eat a lot of that because the fat-protein ratio and its volume is very satiating.

(Todd Allen) #19

Unfortunately no units were specified. I am guessing this formula should be interpreted as

kilograms of lean body mass (excluding fat and bone) * exercise factor = grams of protein target ?

And the posted exercise factors are for a weight loss diet phase. Are there additional factors for weight maintenance and for muscle building phases?

(Deb) #20

I’m sure there are and I’ve seen them on Lyle McDonald’s body recomposition site, but since I was never (yet) in that phase, I didn’t pay much attention.
A more friendly site with good info for muscle building is leangains.com