Protein Dough

(Boston_guy) #1

Just saw this on Twitter, looks good! Anyone want to try it? Thougts?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Awesome, I am going to get the ingredients for this. I have a pasta roller that I got just before I started keto and I haven’t been able to part with it because I wanted to get one for so long. I only got to use it a couple of times. :confused:

Thanks so much for this post. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Steve) #3

Funny…My wife just put our fancy pasta roller machine and attachments into the donate pile. We might have to keep it for a while. This is a really interesting recipe concept with all kind of possibilities! I have had great success with whey protein in my tempura batter. I’m looking forward to your cook.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I just ordered a Kg.of the Calcium Caseinate from Amazon. I also have a package of Transglutaminase RM and want to experiment adding that, also I plan to work on a whole egg based recipe without egg white powder and water. The version she makes is LCLF. I think the egg yolk will give it a more traditional homemade pasta flavor and appearance. The transglutaminase is a protein binder and may work wonders. I’m getting it Sunday, so pasta Funday! :man_cook:t3:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Boston_guy) #5

Awesome! Can’t wait to hear how it turns out. I’ve only heard Dave Arnold (Cooking Issues guy) talk about “meat glue” :slight_smile:

(Steve) #6

We used it in competition to glue chicken skin back on. We scraped the fat off the inside of the skin then brushed meat glue on the inside of the skin to stick it back on. The whole purpose was to give the judges a clean defined bite. There is nothing worse than hot rubbery chicken skin that flops onto your chin or snaps back. It is illegal to use it in Canada now, you have to buy it in the States. The reason it was banned is, butchers were combining beef scraps with meat glue to form what would look like a nice steak all stuck together with meat glue. The scraps would introduce to much bacteria from mishandling. When used properly it’s great stuff.

(Steve) #7

Good idea, come on pasta Funday!

You asked for Full Metal Keto Recipes
What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Egg Noodle Experiment

In sage butter. :man_cook:t3:

So I got my calcium caseinate a while ago and dove right in.

30g. Calcium Caseinate
1 large egg
2t. water
Salt

The dough quite easy to work with but unfortunately tore trying to sheet it with a hand crank pasta mill. No problem, it rolls out easily on wax paper but was a tad thick so I pressed the noodles thinner after cutting them while the water came up to a boil. They look like there’s not much there when you roll out this quantity but they about triple in size while cooking. The texture is a little like fried haloumi cheese but drier without the fat content and no cheese taste.

I am going to enjoy experimenting with this recipe and also a less greasy lower carb fat head pizza using this Calcium Caseinate. I also look forward to a version with the meat glue at some point to see how the texture is affected, I think a springier ramen like noodle will we the result with that instead of an egg binder.

Post note: very filling!

(Diane) #9

:purple_heart:!

(Steve) #10

Thanks, It sounds like it went well. Did you use the pasta roller? What if you add more water and do the parchment paper trick for lasagna noodles? Could it be a substitute for lasagna noodles? How about making it really thin and pouring it into a crepe pan like Bzoodles? Is that 66 grams of protein per 100 grams?

(Boston_guy) #11

@David_Stilley What Casein did you buy specifically? When I search it does not turn up any Calcium Caseinate. Just Bulk Supplements Casein powder. Which is “Micellar Casein”. Same thing?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Sorry @dub, I did buy micellar casein. I didn’t do it on purpose but I think it’s basically a superior version that has a slower burn and release of the amino acids. I did a search for the Calcium Caseinate on Amazon and this came up first, I didn’t notice the difference but the micellar Caseinate seems to be the one commonly available.

Bulksupplements Casein Protein… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0128VQT7Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

$23 per kilo or 33 batches the size I made.

@Jamboribs I didn’t get 100g. because I used a whole egg instead of egg white powder which is expensive and I wanted to see how fresh eggs worked. The egg white protein powder is higher in protein than a whole egg by something like 4x. So the actual serving was 80g.

I am going to try using raw egg white next and adding some Xanthan gum, psillium husk and maybe a bit of coconut flour to bulk it up and lighten the texture, density and workability of the dough. I did try the pasta roller and the dough wasn’t elastic enough and fractured so I hand rolled it.

You’re reading my mind Steve. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Failed experiment, too much psillium made the noodles absorb a lot of water during cooking and they came out mushy. I still ate them but the texture was more like mashed potatoes :confused: Moving forward.

@Ella_Bruce Thanks for taking an interest in my experiments! I would love to get some interaction going with you about this recipe, did you develop it or do some experimentation with the recipe?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

Experimented today again. The last time I just shook in a random amount of salt. Today I went back to the recipe, it calls for one tsp. of salt! I thought that’s way too much salt and used half, still really salty and too much for a seasoned dish. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Coconut flour added 1 1/2 tsp., test boiled one and it turned to slime in the water. So I ended up frying the noodles and added some water after frying them to get more moisture in. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That was experiment 3, experiment 2 was an epic fail. Psillium husk absorbed too much liquid in the amount I added and destroyed the texture making a mashed potato like substance. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wish I had a happy face to post. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: