Protein consumption. Keto vs Zero Carb

(FRANK) #21

I should dump him and based on atomicspacebunny’s response I should see if she’d be my GP.
Thanks to both of you - greatly appreciated!

(Dawn O Miller) #23

He’s done such a wonderful service to the Low Carb community.

(Brian) #24

I hope people didn’t just skip over this.

People tend to get very zealous about breaking out their macros to micro levels. Food doesn’t tend to be “only fat” or “only protein”. As Mark says, ribeye steak has a little more fat than protein and it’s all wrapped up in a nice tidy package. Eggs are the same, a little more fat than protein all wrapped up in a tidy little package.

Real food! It’s what’s for dinner! :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I don’t know, Bri. Eating real food seems like cheating, somehow. And besides, it’s not complicated enough, lol! :rofl::bacon:

Is that cooked or raw?

(bulkbiker) #27

Its from the nutritional info… I’m guessing raw…but as steak is usually pretty quickly cooked I doubt you’ll lose much of the fat… I cook mine sous vide and then fast sear so don’t lose much of anything apart from some water.

I never got the sous vide thing. I just sear and eat. If the inside of the steak isn’t completely raw, it’s overcooked as far as I’m concerned. Brown crusty outside + totally raw inside = perfect steak.

(Chris) #29

I’ve been finding completely raw, period, to be a totally new experience. I used to prefer a crusty outside with a raw inside but the feelings I get from raw are something unprecedented.

(DougH) #30

Pittsburgh blue. I order them this way sometimes when I am at a nice steakhouse. If they don’t know what I am talking about I am concerned.:roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

Yeah I’ve heard mixed results from going completely raw. I’ve done completely raw for a meal or two when I’m in a hurry, and I find it to not be very satisfying, but I’ve never done it on a remotely long term basis.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

I have to chime in here to mention that the article linked above has some accurate information but is also full of mistakes. The worst of these is recommending increased insulin for insulin resistance.
Rather than try to refute it line-by-line, I’m just going to link to a few articles that explain GNG and I:G ratio for anyone who’s interested in the science. Be warned though, it is a deep rabbit hole. :hole:

Thanks for your attention. We now return to our reguarly scheduled programming.

Virta Health - How Much Protein on Keto
(Jules) #33

I read this as “I’m going to the pub” :joy:

Amy Berger does a great job of explaining a complex subject. I do have to take issue with one of her points though, which is …

(Note from Amy: you might see an acute drop in ketone levels, but first, who cares, and second, you’ll be right back to ketosis as soon as insulin comes back down. And remember: if your goal is fat loss or overall wellness, it’s more important to be fat-adapted than to be in ketosis 24/7 .)

For some of us, being in ketosis is the point of a ketogenic diet. My brain functions better in ketosis. When I make a mistake in my diet I suffer for it. I know that she understands this because of her research into Alzheimer’s Disease among other things. But the article is geared more toward fat loss as a goal.

(Elizabeth ) #35

(Bill Kieger) #36

Not insulin resistant, but stumbled into ketosis accidentally almost 2yrs ago by consuming large amounts of EVOO to ward off dementia (runs in the family).
Did the macro thing and really kept my protein low, until 2 months ago, stopped keeping track… now i’m eating way more protein and less vegies and feeling even better, and my ketone and glucose levels haven’t changed a bit… so, I agree, I see no evidence of GNG on 4 times the protein and my mind feels better, better attitude about life :wink:

Bill