Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #141

Busy day today. Got up early to do my Sunday walk. Slow, short and with a long pause and rest midway. Got home a started prepering meat for the BBQ, which I should have done last night. But I got caught up on keto, forum reading and an endelss loop about autophagy and ended up view hours of video and trying to drill down in scientific papers. Needless to say I didn’t get any of my chores done yesterday.

So I trimmed the meat, rubbed it with spices and heavy coatings of salt, made a salat, with keto greens and avocado, a basting sauce and topped p squeeze bottle to keep it all juicy… And drove them over to my friends house. I then had to return home, break the fast and get te juices flowing. I read last night about a green tea that was great for breaking fast, I didn’t have any so I used regular black tea. 1tbs regular salted butter, 1 tbs coconut oil and a shot of mct 8 oil. Went down so smooth after I added a little splash of heavy cream.

I got my laundry done, two machines going at it, one with a dryer the second one I needed to hang when done. I was at high alert breaking the fast the way I did this time, I was sort expecting to be running back and forth to the bathroom. That was six hours ago and I am fine still. I just got out of the shower and and have found that even my brand new pair of jeans don’t sitt well in the waist and heine area. I’ve lost since 4th of july I think it was little more then 2 inches around my neck, 4 inches around my belly and a good two inches around my chest. And I have lost another 9 kilo, or 19.8 lbs for you non metric freaks.

I got another hour before I must be at the BBQ, I really hate it to arrive just as the food is ready. For me the BBQ is just as much as being around friends, shooting the breeze, talking and hanging while the long cooked meat does its thing and that is really precious time. BBQ is a great way to bring people together, even the little ones usually tends to hang around and enjoying the crowd and are less prone to fall into smartphones and tablets. Maybe because the got such a large audience for all the crazy stuff they do all day. But those BBQ’s are important to me, no matter if I drink water and eat keto greens. And I do notice I don’t grab for the guitar as often as usually when I only drink water at a BBQ, maybe that is a benefit for the rest of the company :smiley:

Any way I got the get ready and go see my dear friends. Man me dropping the data logging and daily weigh in, ketone level measuring several times a day have been a blessing. It is so much more rewarding to a 20 lbs drop in weight then to see +0.1 or -0.2 each day. These number gives me confidence and I feel I am already well in there improving my life, my health and loosing weight.

Got go go c u all at a later time :smiley:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #142

So the final fast before camp. Starting today so that I can feast on Sunday and Monday and be well fed when I start the camp. I am not sure what the next 6 weeks will be like, other then hell of course. If at all possible I will continue doing keto. I had some thoughts of dong keto even if they don’t support keto eating, but reality has gotten the better of me. I don’t think I will have the stamina to do keto if it ain’t on the menu. Ghetto grilling somewhere random between the exercises don’t really seem viable, I think I will need all the strength and focus just to stay with the program and do what I am told.

Anyway I will update now and then when I got energy left in me. Keto or no keto, 6 weeks goes by fast and I will have no problem starting keto from scratch again when I am back home. Tuesday is when it all starts oddly enough. At least that means our first week will be a little shorter as I imagine the first day will only testing of o2, health checks, dividing into groups, doctor appointments, getting installed and learning the ropes etc. The next I imagine it is full blown hell from the get go.

(Susan) #143

I have full confidence in you that you will do awesome at your Boot Camp; because you have certainly prepared for it! I know that it will be grueling; but all your walks you have been doing, and eating Keto, and all your Fasting preparation as well, have challenged your body and prepared it for this 6 weeks of rigourous exercise and training. Good luck and Best wishes!

(Libby) #144

Are you going to be able to post from there? I am really curious how this camp is. Best of luck!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #145

I will do my best to update, like maybe once a week? Probably the updates will happen during the weekends as we have “only two” exercise classes then as opposed to 3 man-fri. But I can’t promise you update the first or possible even the second week. All that exercise might send me straight to bed at the end of the day. I have never done exercise like this. It is extreme. Even though they got medical staff, PT’s, do a medical check up, and divide the crowd into various groups based on your level of o2, weight problems etc so that we can start as slow and easy as needed for each individual I expect nothing but pain and suffering.

I don’t know what level of fitness you guys have, but for the past two decades the most activity I’ve been doing is the few days when the elevators at work are down for maintenance and I have to walk the stairs. The slow and easy walks I’ve been doing while on keto have been to slowly introduce my body to physical movement. But I recon I started half a year too late, at least. :smiley: Because I do not feel ready. But I will clench my teeth and send it.

So I expect to be beaten, weak, tired and pretty much feel like a wet blanket every evening. As soon as I have absorbed the phase one exercises and have gotten more used to whatever hell they will rain down on us I will update.

(Failed) #146

Sending good thoughts to you, and hugs if you want 'em.:tulip:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #147

I’ll take any and all encouragement I can get. And who in their right mind would ever turn down a hug? :wink:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #148

Final update before camp. 67 hours into the 72 hours fast. Will take the same Sunday walk as last weekend, just got to wake up first and have my morning coffee. Black.

Today is BBQ day. Excited. Great people, some jamming happening, and there will be BBQ and booze. I’ll stick to ice water but I will for sure have my share of the fattiest cuts from the BBQ.

Tomorrow is resting day. Sleep in, relax and get stuff packed and ready for a little road trip Tuesday morning. Will try to update in about a week.

(Susan) #149

Boot Camp begins on Tuesday? Have a lot of fun at the barbecue, and a safe trip to the Boot Camp. I wish you all the best, and I think that you are very prepared and have been doing so well in your Keto journey. I look forward to your reports from camp. I think that you will do great!

(mole person) #150

I’m going to miss your updates and progress. I hope camp is a good experience but, please, come back to us and keto afterwards no matter how it tuns out. If you don’t you’ll have “making Ilana sad” to account for in the hereafter!

Good luck, honey!!! :hugs:

(Polly) #151

I hope boot camp is going really well for you @idunno. I am thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

(Katie) #152

Wow…I hope they didn’t kill him at boot camp.

I have been watching this thread waiting for idunno to return. Isn’t boot camp over by now?

(Susan) #153

I think that you are right Katie, I thought it was for 6 weeks, so hopefully he will return soon.

I would love to know how Boot Camp went and how he is feeling, etc =).

(mole person) #154

I think he has another week still to go. I’m looking forward to his return also.

(Jane) #155

If it was 6 weeks then this should be his last week.

I hope it went well for him and he comes back and tells us all about it.

(Katie) #156

Well…I am hoping idunno comes back.

I am guessing the camp did not go so well. Anyone ever send him a message? His public profile is hidden to me. Drop him a line. Invite him back. If he fell off keto…not harm to foul…just start again

(Susan) #157

@idunno

Please come back to the forum and tell us how your Boot Camp went! We all miss you and are thinking of you, and wishing you all the best.

We are here to cheer you on for further success and Keto victories, so please let us know how you are doing!!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #158

Thank you so much for the kind words. Means a lot. Oh and sorry for taking so long to get back to posting. Life you know :smiley:

Well I’ve been home for a while now, but I guess the camp is the real story.

Arriving camp was very special. Hectic energy and a lot of stressed people, which got me even more stressed out. I got my room key and got settled and looked at the schedule for the stay and I was almost crushed, the reality of it all sunk in so hard it was overwhelming. Right then and there I thought about reversing the unpacking and head for the hills :smiley: luckily I stayed.

First day was information, medical check ups, tours of the facilities and getting eased into routines like meal time etc.

The first week was not as tough as I feared ahead of time. Even if we did 3 sessions with physical exercise each day. During the weekend it was only 2 per day. I guess first week it was all new, and they started off in moderate tempo.

Week 2 they crank’d the knob up a bit. We all had to work harder but still doable. And my body was cooping wonderfully. No joint or back pain at all. And I was in no worse shape or form then the other participants. Sadly that actually helped me a lot and gave me a mental boost, I guess I had a lot of fear of being the person in worst shape or form, the one that might not make it to the end or the one that is holding others back. Competitive by nature it seems, but not so much that I need to win. I just don’t feel good if my results are at the bottom of the list.

The hardest part was the lack of “me time”. Where ever I went there was lots of people around, same at meal time and the only place to unwind was in the solitude of my room, so I was not really getting to know the others very well in the start. Because come evening I needed to retract to my sanctuary and have some quiet time, just being alone. I live alone and have for some years and the change from having almost too much alone time to having none at all was hard to deal with. Then I also needed the rest. Can’t remember when I’ve slapt as deeply as I did the first 3-4 weeks at camp. The camp was physically very hard yet manageable, but mentally it was a really challenge. By design I think. That forced me to really think things trough, to draw some lines, prioritize what was most important for me and say no to what would else interfere.

Why I write this is because I’ve learned that I have a strange personality. I have always gone to the end of the world for others, but rarely for myself. And that kind of pattern turned into my self destructive life style, where food became my release, my hope and my comfort.

About food, there was no keto. It was old school healthy food. I committed to a keto break and just dug in. I still did keto coffee, ketones as supplement and didn’t think much of it. Being honest, it was kind of nice to just be catered to food wise. Because everything else was so intense.

Week three was still harder, longer classes longer walks heavier lifting etc. We helped each other, supported each other and we somehow was able to absorb the increase in intensity. By the end of week three I was also getting more used to the new settings, I started to enjoy the the company of others in new ways. I didn’t need as much alone time and I was spending more time in company with others before bed time. Which was rewarding in so many ways.
Because we where all so free, we all struggled with the same issues more or less. And could talk freely without shame or without holding back. And I think we talked and vented decades of frustration and hurt feelings just by being real. And it was so nice to get to know other in the same situation, but on a much deeper level then you would get to know them anywhere else. I think that was a result of us sharing the same load and being there in the same place struggling with our past and looking forward to a better tomorrow.

I made to the middle of 5th week before I noticed joint pain. Talking with the team around us we decided to stop the walks and spend more time in he gym and pool. Worked wonders. I could continue working hard and I was not held back of pain. And kept things like that to the very end.

Weight loss wise, I lost 18 kilos @ camp. Less then I hoped for but the real win was increased stamina and being able to exercise so hard without any medical problems. It was also a great thing to have done so many different exercises. And many of them didn’t even feel like exercise. Like tennis, badminton, volleyball and basketball. It was a game, it was competition, it was a challenge and most of all, it was so much fun. It felt like fun and games and didn’t feel like a physical exercise. So these thing I will find ways to do also in the future. Never thought I would enjoy the exercise, because I thought the hardship and the work of it with cast big shadows over the fun part. Turns out I was so wrong. The same with swimming. I battled the clock in the pool, and it was such a high to beat my own time, to be able to swim faster for longer. To feel the body changing and actually working, even after so many years of sedentary lifestyle.

When I got home I restarted keto life. Getting back to work was horrible. I was buried in work, and I just recently caught up. On top of the increased work load I had to find time to go for walks, swimming and to the gym.

I was gonna do a 72 hour fast to kick start keto. But after 3 days it felt like nothing. So I added one more day. Then I decided to go for a week long fast. I ended up fasting for 12 days. On day 12 I got severe back pain and was feeling so weak and empty. I caved and had me several small meals all containing a tiny bit of carbs as well as fat and protein. The 12 days fast was a huge mental win. And I now feel more mentally strong and ready for anything then ever before. And to my surprise I’ve learned that I am able to change my ways and commit.

I think the long fast gave me the mental boost to really dig into all the work that was piling up on my desk at work. Long hours, but not without “me time”. I made sure I took time to exercise as planned, not really hard as I was fasting but still taking care of myself and making changes for a better tomorrow.

I think one 3 days fast a month from here on will do. But we will see.

I am not strictly OMAD now. Because working out 4-6 times a week requires more fuel. I go to the gym 3 times a week. The other days I either go swimming, or taking long walks or just take a spinning class if weather is a no go. But I do keep a 16-8 window for eating.

The adjustments to this hectic and busy life is a bit of hard stretch. It is still hard getting used to not planting my heny in the coach for several hours each day. And the exercise kind of feels like a chore. Something I really should do. I really hope that will change over time.

Considering seeking help from a NLP coach to deal with that. To avoid falling back into old habits and patterns of thinking. Still the living room coach is calling for me as soon as I enter home after work. But I’ll try my best not to spend much time there, a coach and a TV can really make you numb to your inner feelings and accelerate the path to misery.

I will make sure to carve out some forum time each week.

To all of you wonderful people on the forum, thanks a lot for all your cheering and encouragement that really helped a lot when I was starting this journey.

(mole person) #159

God, you are such a rockstar at this. I’m so happy the camp was such a positive experience!!!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #160

It was a good experience, but it was also hard. I rather I never let it go so far in the first place. :wink:

If other reads this that hasn’t let things slide as far as I did, do something about now. Start to take care of yourself today. Not tomorrow or next week. Every added pound will make things harder.

On the bright side, I’ve lost half of the weight I am aiming for and except those weeks at camp it has been less hard and less grief then I expected. I can walk staircases without pain, I can walk to the store and get greens, butter, fatty meat, bacon etc and walk home without being out of breath, I don’t even burst into hard core sweat anymore when I actually are using the body. I still use sleep apnea machine but my sleep has gotten significant better. Fewer wake ups, more time in deep sleep. I feel more energized when I wake up and I can focus longer during the day. Don’t know if that is because of keto, the weight loss, the workouts or the great combination of it all. But it is wonderful to wake up ready to tackle the day, and not feel like hitting the snooze button.

Hopefully I can ditch that machine in the future.