Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(Jane) #161

Thanks for the update!

You have come so far in your amazing journey!

Have you been for your nature walk since you got back from camp? You had to take a chair to rest halfway and I was wondering if this was no longer necessary.

(Failed) #162

Words cannot express how happy I am for you. I know you had some reservations, but it looks like you worked through everything that you wanted to work through during your experience.

I kind of loled at you using the phrase of “caved” at the end of your 12, count 'em-12 day fast. I don’t think that would’ve been the term I would use. Congratulations on going 12 days that is amazing!

Hugs if you want 'em!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #163

So glad to see you back!
Hope you continue to have success!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #164

Yes I still do my weekends nature walks. I don’t really need the three legged chair anymore, but sometimes I’ll bring it along anyway if I bring a thermos of coffee with me, to have a nice peaceful time midways in the walk. Just some quality time in nature, resting my heny on the chair zipping coffee and watching nature.

I also walk much further now then I did this summer. The nice thing with the portable chair is that it makes the walk fun time, rather then exercise chore. The walk becomes a place for mindfulness and being in the moment. Enjoying nature, taking in the the changing seasons, and really just let your heart rate drop. The silence in nature is almost like meditating, I can feel the stress of the week just leaves my body and mind. If it’s raining or windy I don’t bother with coffee and the portable chair. Then I just take the walk to get some additional steps logged.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #165

Thx for the kind words. Well, it kind of felt like I caved when I gave in. Because the first week went so easy, then the 10 days went smooth I kind of was thinking of going for 21 days, like they do in some of the old skool european fasting sanctuaries. It was just a moments thought on day 10, but I kept rethinking it on day 11, and it kind of felt like it would be a huge challenge to make it to 21 days. So when I woke up at day 12 I was kind of sat for trying to fast 21 days. :slight_smile:

Few hours later the pain started, it was intense and I did think I was maybe having kidney stones issues or worse even kidney problems, it got so painful. So that kind of brought me back to reality and I started eating several small meals with carbs included. Before bedtime after 5 or maybe even 6 small meals all the pain was gone.

And yes, 12 days is still pretty good and now I do give myself the credit for it. Right then and there I really felt like I caved :smiley:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #166

I will keep this up, no doubt. I mean over time I might not be 110% dedicated all of the time to keto, I’ll might make room for occasional pasta dish, or even pizza. But it is really nothing I would do often. I don’t miss carbs. Also I still learning how to cook keto, so I might even find keto pasta recipe that works, same for pizza. And the work out is so good for me in so many ways so I will keep that up as well - long time for sure.

For those thinking keto is expensive, try to be honest about the cost of your over eating habits. I actually save money on keto because I don’t buy all junk food, sweets, no more take away food, no more eating out 3-4 days a week.

As I get closer to my target weight I might feel lik easing off a bit on the workout, because it is time consuming, but I can’t really see myself doing less then 3-4 days of exercise a week in the future. Because the pay back is so prominent.

And small changes in daily routines also helps staying active. Like walking to the store rather then driving. Taking the stairs rather then the elevator. I don’t count those little things as exercise, but I try to do as much of those little things as possible just because it is good for me. And I deserve that, me caring for me. I haven’t been any good at it in the past, but I need to make that a core belief. Away with the self loathing and self destructive behavior. And more of the self care and doing what is good for me. But to change a mindset that have been almost your root mindset for maybe decades, it will take time, hard work and practice. And I see a therapist once a month. I need help changing and reprogramming my mind.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #167

Yeah, it can be hard to have “me” time. I’m sort of in a similar position. :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m getting better at taking some “me” time.

(Susan) #168

Congratulations on all of your victories so far in this entire journey. It is so great to see you back, many of us have been thinking of you and wondering how it all went. I am glad that Boot Camp was such a positive experience for you, and 18 kilos lost is still great (that is almost 40 pounds!) so that is terrific.

I wish you all the best in your continued Keto journey and hope that you will post and let us know how you are doing =).