Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #121

28th hour mark. Feeling just fine. Been on a walk and I did not push at all today. Walked to the same spot I did last time, and I took my time doing it. Didn’t rain at all btw. I had a good 30 minutes brake and rested on the camping chair, enjoying nature. Same slow and easy pace on the return. I have not had any pain in hips, knees or lower back issues when walking or even afterward so far. :slight_smile: :+1:

I think the easy pace, slow walk on uneven surface is doing me good. A day or two after the walks do feel some soreness in the muscles, and a little soreness in the back, lower back muscles I guess, and also slight from the abdominal area(didn’t think we engaged those during walks but apparently we must ??). But that is just muscle soreness, like in a good way really. Tells you the body is actually being used for more then transporting your head back and fort to the car on the way to work.

The pain I used to get in knees, hips and lower back was sharp, deep pain that felt like it came from the core of the skeleton. Likely not where it came from, but that is the best description I can give. And none of that sort of pain, not during the walks or after. Slow tempo, a good and long rest midway and better shoes are maybe all part of it. I must say I am if fact really surprised that I don’t have pain, crossing a larger shipping center or a parking lot used to make it hard to fall asleep because I had numming pain.

When I returned I had two half filled tea spoons of salt just to be safe. Tried the tips about just adding the salt into te mouth and swallow. Great tip, it worked. Washed it down with cold water and it went fine.

I’ll try to remember to give an update around 36 hour of fasting. If I do forget I will update tomorrow after my walk.

(Susan) #122

This is fantastic! Hopefully that continues when you are at Fat Camp!

Awesome, that is what I always do, so I am glad that it worked for you as well.

Best wishes with the rest of your fast =).

(Jane) #123

Many people report (myself included) and lot of reduced pain in their joints after going keto. I can’t say it is zero, but I am 60 not 25 anymore LOL and just happy the pain is dramatically reduced.

You are doing great on your journey.

(PJ) #124

It was a long time before I realized that I would not have been super fat if I were not severely malnourished. This greatly improved my attention to supplementing with quality supps for the full spectrum of minerals and trace-minerals, vitamins (methylated B’s) and liposomal anything (best form for any supp if you can get it).

I only not so long ago learned about gut integrity problems and why that’s so profoundly affecting nationwide health and my own. (Many of the benefits I got with keto, such as vanishing joint pain, was from getting off grains. It’s simply that I’d never done so until I went lowcarb.)

I am just starting a book that funny enough mirrors some other reading I’ve been running into online, about how deficiency in certain amino acids messes up so many processes and can interfere with health, with weight loss, and so on.

Which brought me back to the realization that everything is really about being malnourished, directly or indirectly.

There are primary nutrient classes:
Amino acids (the base of protein)
Fatty acids (the base of lipids)
Enzymes (some are vital, hence ‘vitamins’)
Minerals and trace minerals

We need ALL of them that we know about. (The harmful things we only need in trace amounts.) That means for example if we live on steak and chicken, there’s a whole world of amino acids we are not getting.

It’s like a rabbit hole with no end when you read about it though. Oh gee, it’s not just that glycine is so important for things X-Y-Z, but it turns out it’s kinda critical for Phase II detoxification in the liver, which is profoundly important.

And I’m pretty sure that anybody with ANY metabolic health problem has serious liver issues no matter that our medical measure seldom a/ bothers to measure or b/ would see it if we did – liver stuff, rather like celiac, seems to nearly have to be at the point of mortal danger before it’s seen as in trouble.

Everything is connected.

And the shortest route to simply getting as wide a spectrum of nutrition as possible, in good ratios as possible: is EAT MEAT.

And people who can do homemade kefir I think that’s probably a massive help (it helped me already, though I have to limit it due to some carbs. Not tons since I think the fermentation I always overdo, eats most the lactose).

If you can keep your diet from shifting into an endless series of specialty recipes that are delicious but tend to replace MEAT from being eaten instead, and if you can take seriously some of the supplementation (mostly with collagen aminos and full-spectrum of minerals) because the body needs to recover and is often working on a long backlog of issues inside, I think there is nothing that cannot be radically improved in your health.

PJ

(Failed) #125

I used to make kefir, but it became too much hassle. Now I make viili which is another mesophilic (room temperature) yogurt, but you don’t use grains to make the next batch, just a bit of the previous batch. I can’t find much information on the analysis of the culture like there is with kefir, but the bacteria do eat the lactose, so allows me to have a lower carb smoothie. Viili, frozen raspberries, and Splenda-yum!

I’m currently on a water-only extended fast (6+ days so far) and will have a small amount of this smoothie to break it in a few days. I will check the impact on my blood sugar so I will know for sure that it’s low carb.

(PJ) #126

Yeah, I have read that Villi shares some of the bacteria of kefir and you can’t get them near each other or you end up with your kefir starting to make ‘ropes’ like the villi does. There is a “version” of this life form in various places all around the world. Which I find rather fascinating.

The story of kefir is totally book/movie-worthy all on its own.

My kefir tends to be so overfermented by the time I get my ass in gear and do something with it, that I have to drain off all the whey, and the rest is nearly solid. So solid sometimes I have to add milk to ‘rescue’ the grains in the strainer. That isn’t the ideal of course (trying to correct for all that sour!) but to me it at least suggests that if there’s lactose left in there it must be very, very little.

PJ

(Jane) #127

My experience was different. I went low carb in the past and still had joint pain. I quit ALL GRAINS and still had joint pain. I stopped eating ALL SEED OILS and within a few short weeks my joint pain was remarkably better. Same for my husband

(Susan) #128

I still have extreme lower back pain, leg pain, knee pain, and my feet killing me when I walk even for a short time as well. I am hoping all of this improves; I just figured it is because I still have an extra 130 pounds I need to shed and so no wonder they are all so sore. As I lose the weight, I am expecting and hoping this will lessen =).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #129

Just about finished the 72 hour fast. Porkbelly should be ready in about 45 minutes.

This time has been rough. Short time after the last update the hunger came visiting. And hunger wouldn’t leave either. And I also got rock hard cravings. I tried salt again. No luck. Very hard to sleep because of the hunger and cravings. So I had to keep really busy to manage to stay away from food. Been making small trips to visit people all weekend. But as the hunger waves was so strong this time it was actually hard to stay focused and keep conversation going, as soon as the hunger throttled back, I got all kinds of cravings. And it lasted all the way up to now, the home filled of the delicious aroma of juicy, fatty, crispy pork belly sure doesn’t make it easier but at leas I know it is only a short time left to wait.

I don’t have time to ponder about the correct way to end this fast, and as I am still so hungry I will start with a keto coffee in 20 minutes. Then have pork belly, sour cream and avocado for lunch. If need be I’ll have another keto coffee between lunch and dinner. Because this hunger has to get cured and go away. Or I’ll go nuts.

Working from home today and that was probably not a great choice because of the hunger, but I was so tired this morning from not having slept well the past two nights I couldn’t stand the thought of driving in, and not get a proper, filling, piping hot meal at lunch. So to get to prepare what I craved most I chose to work from home, but my mind has not sharp today. Focus has slipped and I caught myself “daydreaming” about treats, sweets and food in general several times rather then being directed to tasks at hand. Toughest fast, this one for sure. Glad it is over. A friend I visited yesterday and told about the hunger just texted me half and hour ago, and tried to entice me to stretch the fast another 24 hours just to show who is the boss. I guess it was ment in a good way, but heck no. Not another 24 hours of this madness. No way. This ends now.

(Failed) #130

I’m probably starting to sound like a broken record on here, but I just finished a 7 day water-only fast effortlessly by drinking a “cocktail” of 1 t of inositol powder and 1/8 t choline bitatrate (both from Bulk Supplements on Amazon) mixed with sparkling water whenever the hunger pangs hit.

I had started drinking this to help with insulin sensitivity a couple weeks before the fast and discovered I was eating way less and less frequently. During my fast, I lost 11 lbs and my morning BGs went from 270 to 99.

Here’s the article that convinced me.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #131

Feel free to tell me more about it. What does it cost, is it taste and odor less, how often and how much do you take. Just glanced quickly at the site you linked and don’t know anything about inositol beforehand. Is this over the counter supplement or it requires prescription? Also that choline is new to me, I will read up on that as well. Feel free to share any first hand experiences from adding those to your supplement regime.

(Failed) #132

They are not prescription. You can get them at Amazon. Read the Amazon reviews to get an idea of the safety, efficacy, etc.

The inositol I use is BulkSupplements Inositol (Vitamin B8) Powder (1 Kilogram) on Amazon. It costs 6.47¢ per teaspoon. Each tsp is 2.7g of inositol. There are 416.5 tsp in each bag. The price per 1kg bag is $26.96. It tastes very slightly sweet.

The choline I use is Bulksupplements Choline L-Bitartrate Powder (500 Grams). It costs 4.7¢ per 1/8 tsp. There are 416.5 1/8 tsp in each bag. The price per 500gr bag is $19.91, it is quite tart.

I first got it to help get my BGs down (they were in the 400s). After I started drinking it, I noticed I wasn’t hungry and didn’t really want the sweets I had been snacking on many times per day, and over the next couple of weeks drifted to low carb and fewer meals without consciously thinking about it. I had known about low carb for many years and had even done Atkins for 2 years, but then the carb cravings and general propaganda about low fat (I’m lookin’ at YOU, Susan Powter!) got me.

(Susan) #133

I lost over 100 pounds in about 8 months doing Susan Powter back in 2002-2003 and had to get my gallbladder out December 2003 because if it. I hero-worshipped her back then…

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #134

Going to a big BBQ on Sunday, so I must start my fast one day early to keep up with the 72 hour fasting regime. So tomorrow I will start after lunch and count 72 hours until Sunday. Guess the Sunday walk must be an early morning walk, but that’s OK.

(Susan) #135

Great, sounds like a good plan, good luck keeping Keto at the barbecue as well!

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #136

12 hours in. Going great. Yeah it will be no problem to eat keto at the BBQ. I just make sure to have fatty cuts of meat, some sour cream, olives, green salad, spinach avocado and some olive oil sprinkled over the salad and I can dip in the guacamole/sour cream mix.

(Kristin) #137

I’m 9 hours away from breaking a 48-hour fast. Two weeks ago I had a four-day fast. I had 10 lb creep on without even doing anything different! Probably due to changes from menopause. I’ve been trying for months to clean up my eating and nothing is causing the weight to go down. I’ve decided to incorporate two fasts a month, a 48 and a 72 + hour 1 every other week. I’m going to keep this up until I get back down to my usual weight. Has anyone else done a fasting regiment like this? So far it seems to be working as I’ve lost 2 lbs this month. I know 10 lbs isn’t a lot but on my small frame it means the difference between fitting into my clothes and not fitting into them.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #138

37 hours into the fast. Going great, that salt trick is gold. Half a tea spoon a two or three times a day seems to work wonders. Occasional hunger, but easily distracted and it goes away. When I take ekstra salt, hunger is not coming in waves like before, only once or twice a day it seems. .Makes the fast much easier.

Tomorrow I will take a walk, might be both slower and shorter then last weekend due to the hot weather. Forecast says no wind at all, so I will make this walk a really early morning walk. Before the sun is beating to strong. Same for Sunday. Early morning walk on Sunday as well.

(Charlotte) #139

I’m 34 hours into a 10 day fast myself. Salt has helped me too. I also add 1 tbsp to a cup of water and that curbs my hunger as well. Pickle juice is another good one. I have also been distracting myself when I get hungry… my house hasn’t been this clean since I moved in.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #140

We are so easily distracted when we get enough salt when fasting. Cleaning like you say, or for me a sudoku, a stop in the garage to check if there is anything in need of TLC or fixing. It does not much matter what gets our thoughts away from food, sweets, snacks etc as long as it works. And hey, by doing house work you are keeping even more active and buring more calories. Great.

I think one learning I can benefit from later down the line is that I don’t have to give in to each and every craving, that I am strong enough to withstand hunger pain, hunger waves and yearning for ice cream, junk foods or what ever. And put that knowledge in the context of Keto, and I say the binge eating days are behind me. And that feels kind of like a win already. 100 lbs or so from my target weight :smiley:

48 hours or there about for my fast. This is still going great. No issues really. The early morning walk was hot, not even the slightest breeze and the sun was up before I was. I demolished a t-shirt I had in the trunk, and wrapped it around my head before I started walking. When I got really hot I pour’d some cold water on the t-shirt. Worked well. Shorter walk today then last weekend due to the hot weather, but just as long break mid way as before, at least I am consistent with my breaks and resting schedules :smiley:

Keep up the spirit LuckyMSLucy, 10 day fast is respect!. Let me know how it goes, feel free to post here in this thread or if you have a thread of your own drop me a link and I will stop by cheering you on.