Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(Bob M) #101

You are lucky. If I fast even for 36 hours, I’ve always had bathroom issues, and they are worse the longer the fast. So bad that I’ll break a 4.5+ day fast only during the day, at least by noon if not earlier. And I’ve been doing fasting like this for at least 3 years. It’s gotten better, but for me, I only have water in me, and it all wants to come out in waves after 4+ days.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #102

Quick fix; stop fasting at 3 days :smiley:

You still get most all of the benefits from fasting. No need to fast yourself to oblivion. Think long term og think benefits vs costs.

(hottie turned hag) #103

This works for my low emotion, machine-like personality :rofl:
I’ve abandoned other forums on topics of interest due to the rampant mollycoddling.

LMAO this comment annoys the eff out of me; I do have a Chromebook (I have 5 pcs total, one custom built and also a Mint Box MiniPro, it’s darling, the size of a deck of cards) that I use for silly stuff as I don’t have a phone -by choice- but even on that I don’t use Google/haven’t used Google as a search engine since 2008.

(Susan) #104

I think it is perfectly fine, as long as your body accepts it and doesn’t rebel (making you throw up or run to the bathroom).

What I do with the salt, I put a teaspoon of it into my mouth, and swallow a bunch of water right afterwards. You can also buy tablets to swallow -no clue what they are called, though, but someone here must know =).

Well done on the 72 hours, congrats, you are doing really well =)).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #105

Tablets? I’ll check it out either today or tomorrow. Pharmacy sells them I think.

(Susan) #106

Okay, great, I just thought it might be easier for you then swallowing the paper is all =).

(PJ) #107

I break fasts with bone broth (homemade. Premade stuff is icky I think) but that’s not because I don’t want to eat food. I DO eat food very soon. It’s just because I want my whole digestive system to have a little time to re-adapt to “Oh! She’s eating again!” – since sometimes – not usually on short fasts like <73 hrs, but still sometimes – it’ll upset my stomach or just my digestive system otherwise. So I usually have broth, and then some kefir (good gut bacteria, and a little bit of protein and fats), and then “real food.” Not required – but the longer the fast, the more useful, I think.

Your six week boot camp is very likely to have their own very specific eating plan and everyone eats together. You’re not getting out of it I bet. I hope otherwise – but be prepared. So I think you might just have to accept whatever it is and make the best of it and enjoy meeting new people and having comraderie for a shared goal. When you come home, you can do whatever you like again.

I think you can and will do very good. All the skills you have in business, you can apply to this. You’re more than capable of planning and everything required for it – and most people have a hard time fasting for half a day never mind 72 hours, you’ve already demonstrated you have strong resolve. Not sure if we won’t see much of you for six weeks but if that is the case I hope you return when you are home again and tell us about it. Most of us have never attended something like that. :slight_smile:

PJ

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #108

So today I felt off the wagon. I’ve been doing so great since I started keto, not a single extra carb in any form. :frowning:

Today we finished a project at work ahead of time, that is a rare thing. So we went to celebrate a little. Went to a mexican restaurant - one of my soft spots, after italian. Ended up eating a giant tortilla or they actually use two to make a giant one. Skipped the corn and tomato and added lots of cheese and sour cream. Still, there was carbs. Oh well. At least I didn’t do as my colleagues, they had tons of margaritas, daiquiri’s and what not. And when I went home they all went on a bar hop. Guessing tomorrow will be a slow day at work. :smiley:

I did eat two tortillas so I got to own up to it. No need to be ashamed. I am still ahead compared to the way I have eaten for decades. And it was a really feast, but I got to say that maybe I enjoyed the mexican food even more with real drinks and beer alongside the food?

Tomorrow another fast. 72 hours. I will start like last with breakfast, keto coffee and then lunch. And start the 72 hour clock after lunch. I’ve done keto coffee with regular salted butter and added a pinch of salt to it, along with coconut oil and mct. This week I’ve even put mct into sour cream and guacamole. If it work we will now next time I step onto the scale. Btw I didn’t get salt tablets. as I can take a little salt in the coffee along with salted butter without gagging.

No plans for the weekend except a walk saturday and sunday. Same as before. Short and slow, and I’ll bring water, black coffee and a chair.

Btw thx to all the people that have supported my efforts with the fasting. Much obliged. It helps a lot. As I make a point of not talking weight loss, keto, fatty cuts of meat etc around friends and co workers. I don’t wanna come off like a person that just met Jesus. And I can’t really help others, I can barely help myself. So this forum is like a life support to fuel up on motivation, inspiration and education onto what works and how to go about the journey to a better and healthier lifestyle. Thank you all, you make me humble and give me that little extra push so that I can stick to my guns and keto on.

(Susan) #109

You are though; you are doing so much and working hard. The little glitch today could have been way worse, you controlled yourself, still. You should give yourself credit for that. Good luck on this next 72 hour fast =).

(PJ) #110

Here’s the rule:

Live to do better another day.

Living, if you’re unhealthy / seriously overweight, means getting it right most of the time. But as the other rule goes: Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. Sometimes we aren’t perfect. Just pick up and move on.

Sometimes even if you blow it – depending on degree – if you eat a lot less or even fast for a bit the next day, you’ll recover ok and move on.

PJ

Hi, I too had a little slip today. It is my eldest son’s birthday so I took him to a fancy brasserie where we shared Chateau Briand. The steak obviously was perfectly Keto. However, he really wanted me to try the truffle fried fries, his red wine, some of his ice cream dessert and I chose to have a rum liquer coffee with floating cream. It was divine but it worries me I might not get ‘straight back on’.

Like you, I’ve decided to do a 72 hour fast so that’ll take me until Sunday evening.

Fingers crossed we both make it :blush:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #112

If you already had this fast planned, good for you and thumbs up. But if you feel the fast is some kind of punishment for celebrating your sons birthday I think you should just keep on keto and forget about it. Skip the fast and move on. Remember these wise words:

The world don’t change as we change. For the rest of the world, any celebration is linked to food, drinks or a nice mixture of both. And often plenty of both. Rich, sweet and fatty. Stuff we all have learned to love since we where diaper kids. We can’t change the world, but we can change our self.

I’ve pondered of this slip for a few hours now, and there is no need for a sad face not even a sad emoji. So what if I slipped? I’ve already lost around 40 lbs. I’ve stayed true to keto except for today, and I will continue my journey like nothing happen tomorrow.

This slip was one meal. Not even a whole day. Just one meal. Last year, my entire month was filled with large meals, plenty of carbs and fats and I even chased it all with pepsi cola loaded with sugar. And I finished it off polishing a box of B&J ice cream more often then not. I lived a life where it was birthdays everyday. That was my everyday life. And often a time or two in a month I did enjoy my share of alcohol in various shapes and forms. Wine, beer, liquer, whiskey, rum etc. And you know how it goes, after a great meal, lots of drinking with friends. There comes the night hunger. I always had that after drinking. Burgers and fries, washed down with big gulps, kebabs, tacos. Whatever junkfood I could get in whee hours.

Let us not beat ourselves up for the slip. Lets just accept it and move on. Its what we do daily that have the most impact. And what do we do daily? We keto :smiley:

And what was the wise words? :wink:

(PJ) #113

(mole person) #114

I think you are impressing and inspiring the heck out of anyone following your posts.

We all do slip. The one you described is the best sort. One meal, not even really over the top. I’ve been strict carnivore and doing great with it for the last three months. I’d told myself that after three months I could have a fudge sundae at McD’s. I did and that was fine. But that night I found myself scooping creamed coconut into my mouth. The next day a second sundae and later more creamed coconut. This is the real problem with slips, or even planned carb treats, for most of us. We lose control. The carbs take our self control and we have a struggle to get it back in line. If you stop dead after the slip you are way ahead of the curve already.

One thing that struck me in your post. You understand that MCT oil doesn’t help with weight loss, right? It may give you some extra energy but adding any sort of extra fat over your energy needs is the enemy of body fat losses. As long as you are feeding your body enough fat it has no need to use the fat off of your body.

By now you are fat adapted. Your body should be very happy chewing away on some of its own reserves. Try reducing the MCT oil especially if you feel otherwise energetic and satiated.

(Jane) #115

One meal? pffffttttt… You are doing great! Not a whole day, not a multi-day of binge eating… one meal. You will burn those carbs up in less than half a day and be right back into ketosis. Good for you for limiting to two tortillas and enjoying them!
:+1:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #116

Tried to reduce it and got so tired and drained of energy I cranked up the usage of fat even more then I did before I stopped. I will climb the scale next weekend. Then we will know if I overdo it. But it feels just fine, I am more energized and I got a narrow eating window. And my new jeans I bought because the old ones started sagging is already getting roomy. So according to my jeans things are working - of course it could be the fabric in the jeans are stretching and I am putting on rather then loosing weight but I can’t climb the scale too often. I get too stressed out and too worked up, so I will not know for sure before next weigh in.

But if I look at the overall intake during a 7 day period I am sure I still are caloric deficit, because I only eat 4 days a week now. Three days I week I fast. And I rather keep fat intake high then increase protein intake, because I will not risk excess protein being converted into glucose.

(mole person) #117

Ok. If you are taking it for energy and the fat is still shifting then you are doing everything fine. I only mentioned it because sometimes people new to keto think the MCT is actually an aid to the losses and can overdo it and stall out or even go backwards.

(Susan) #118

This happened to me; but it took me a while to figure out it was the MCT and coconut oil doing this, and constipating me. Since I stopped using both, I am still stalled but the other has resolved, so that is good. I am on a 72 hour fast atm that I hope will help the stall.

@idunno
Keep up the good work, you are doing amazing =). I can hardly wait to hear how Fat Camp goes for you.

(Bob M) #119

And also consider that a stall might not be a stall. I can’t tell you the number of times when the scale has not moved, but something else has, like a belt loop (good if you wear belts, useless if you don’t).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #120

Closing in on the 12th hour mark. Fasting has been great so far. No hunger or stress. And I get to enjoy black coffee, nice :smiley:

Tomorrow I will take my walk, just like before. Slow and easy. They say rain showers tomorrow, but that’s ok, temperatures are still nice. And to not walk in the heat from the sun is actually nice at this stage. It’s amazing the amount of sweat I produces while walking. I need to bring an extra towel tomorrow just to wipe my face while walking.

I think the rest of the tomorrow will a slow and quiet Saturday. Maybe I plant my heinie in the good chair and do some reading. If I get stressed or start feeling munchies I will do an extra dosage of salt. If not just keep grinding time until 72 hour mark is there.

Thank you all, you great supportive people for cheering on my efforts. It helps motivate me and I do feel I am being held accountable just by posting the updates. I’ve hear’d that is a key thing when combating addiction. I recon addiction is what I have. Junk food, sweet&treats addiction. Luckily we can change.

Hello everyone, my name is idduno. I am a sugar addict. :smiley: