Prolonged fasting 72 hours?

fasting

(hottie turned hag) #81

Paging @Shortstuff the waterfowl whisperer

(PJ) #82

Bread of any kind including tortillas (esp corn). They love grains of all kinds. Shelled small seeds, and allegedly even berries. If they are on water, something that will float is better obviously. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #83

Easiest thing is bread, ideally seeded or whole grain, but this is frowned on in some places. I also feed assorted grains, rolled oats are good for feeding in water as they float. You can also get special floating pellets which I spend a fortune on but I don’t know if these will be an option for you. Some will also enjoy leafy veg, peas and sweetcorn - I’ve seen video evidence of this but none of my guys have ever cooperated with that idea :joy:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #84

I will look for pellets, no chance I will ever pig out on pellets :smiley:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #85

Closing in on hour 60. Today started harsh. Hungry when I woke up. And the hunger kind of stuck’d. I even tried mindfullness to change my focus. Nothing. Coffee plain did nothing. I looked for ways to get some extra salt and finally I found a set of rolling papers for, well you know what. I packed in a good teaspoon of salt, maybe teaspoon and a half and made it into a small ball. It was a little hard swallowing but I manged to get in done and started to get ready for the walk.

Clouded today too, nice breeze. So I filled up the “camel-back-china-clone” topped my thermo coffee mug and went for a walk. On the drive over it started to rain. Just barely, so I didn’t mind. Shorts, t-shirt and good shoes. I even remembered to take a fresh towel.

Walked to the same spot I did yesterday. Unpacked and relaxed. Had coffee and water but nothing to share with the birds. Almost felt bad, but hey they are wild and they do know where to to score real food. So maybe I shouldn’t interfere with nature? It got cold just pondering lakeside so I decided to turn around and head back to the car. Before I was done velcroin’ the chair to the china backpack it got wet. It almost darkened outside and I was soaked in seconds.

Ended with me walking much faster back to the car, it was hard but at least all the sweat was washed away form the pouring rain. :smiley:

The return was probably the longest and fastest walk I’ve done the past decade, if not more. And lord and behold it didn’t kill me. The last 5 minutes of so I was really winded but I didn’t slow down because of the rain.

On my way back from the lake all I could think of was the pace I kept during the return walk. My mind was focused on getting shelter in the car, the rain was so heavy I didn’t notice I was sweating and I didn’t even notice the heavy breathing. I just kept plowing on. I wasn’t running or even jogging, but for me, that was really quick walking.

Could it be that my body is working better already? I’ve only done 6 walks so for. 2 walks every fasting weekends. During the feasting weeks I’ve not done walking. Except I used stairs and I tried to park the car further away from entrance doors. That’s it.

I am not sure if the return walk was because the body is getting more used to walking now, or if this was some “survival mode response” to get away from the rain.

As I am writing this I also notice hunger is not an issue anymore. Don’t really know when the hunger disappeared, if it was during the drive or when I started to walk. What caused the hunger to go away? Was it the salt I down’d or the shift in mental focus, first just sitting around at home, really soaking in all feelings and not being able to stopp the hunger, or did I finally get distracted when I started to pack for the walk, or when I drove over to the lake?

This is my third fast, and I must say sleeping seems to have stabilized during them fasts. Even today as I woke up hungry, the hunger didn’t not cause me to wake up. I woke because the alarm clock went off.

I am thinking this fasting could be doable if not each and every weekend at least most weekends. Fasting free up a lot of time, it saves a lot of money, it costs nothing and from what we can read online it comes with a huge array of benefits. Think this is a keeper. Though I will not let it come in the way of my social life. If there are BBQ’s, gathering around great food, festivitas, birthdays etc I might only do 48 hours fast, or maybe start a day early or late or whatever I can do to not let the fast control me and my social life. But I will still stay Keto at least now when I got two reasons for keto and fasting.

(Susan) #86

You are doing fantastic! Have you been weighing yourself after the Fasts as well, to see if you are losing weight? Or not worrying about the scales for now and just doing it all and will weigh later on?

Are you in England? I notice from when you say you are going to bed, etc. that you seem to be about 6 hours ahead of my time zone (I am in Ontario, Canada). Keep up the good work! I bet when you go to your Fat Camp, you will be in better shape then most of the other people, with all your walking you are doing, and having been Keto already for a while. I am guessing that some of the others might not be preparing like you are.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #87

The scale is not a daily routine, I step onto it now and then but I try to put all my energy into the doing part of keto, I figured that if I am strictly keto the result will come. I was on the scale last week and results are amazing, som much so I had tro create a thread about it :wink: proably in a week or so I will do another weigh in.

No not living UK. I don’t really like to be specific because I have been way more outspoken here on the forum then I ever been in my life. And I don’t think everybody needs to know everything about me, my struggles, my failures and my way back to a healthy life. This is not me being a dork, this is me caring about me. I hope you understand.

As far as the camp, I have no idea what to expect. And I don’t really worry too much about it. I try to keep my focus on what I can do and what I can change. What them other folks do or don’t really does not impact me so no point wasting time thinking about it.

The walks I’ve been doing have been so slow it would have embarrassing walking alongside a fit person. I started so slow because I am still in terrible shape, and it was even worse just a few weeks ago. Honestly, I was a little concern’d I’d have a heart attack during the first two walks. Luckily I didn’t. I also bring with me a chair so that I can get a nice comfortable rest before I turn around a walk back to the car. I didn’t start these walks to increase O2 uptake, or anything like that. It was just to slowly start to move so I knew I could before camp.

Today in the rain I just forgot to keep the tempo low, and just walked as briskly as possible back to the car, to get away from the rain.

By biggest concern at camp is injury or getting bad inflammations that will impact how much exercise I can absorb and how much I can participate. So that is the reason for the fasting. Upping the stem cells and reducing inflammation in the body and joints.

I remember about 8-10 years ago there was this trendy diet that was called 5-2 or something. Eat restricted two days a week and normal eating the other 5 and loose weight and stay slim.

I think we could take it further. 5-2 living, or even 4-3 living. But with fasting.

(mole person) #88

There are people on this site who have done 5/2 fasting. That’s five day fasts followed by two days of ad lib eating.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #89

Hm ok. That 5 day fast each week is not a long term goal for me. Because food is also a social activity and I might end up a recluse, living my life in solitude. :smiley:

But 5 days of eating and 2 days of fasting should be doable also long term. With most of the benefits from fasting as a regular thing.

(mole person) #90

Yah, I wasn’t meaning to recommend it. I think 72 hrs is plenty and even that should only be done regularly by those who are quite overweight. I was just saying that it is a protocol that some people use for very rapid fat losses.

(Susan) #91

Of course, sorry, I was only curious, about general areas people are from on here. I have never heard of these Fat Camps until you mentioned them is all. I hope that you will be all ready for it by the time you go and that you will get what you want to get out of it.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #92

Don’t be, its nothing wrong with asking. It just that I’ve written and shared stuff here I wouldn’t even admit to my doctor or therapist because those sides of me are also part of why I am like I am today, and why food has been my one-stop solution that cured everything from a broken heart to loss of close friends or family to stress relief, and a way to deal with self petty, depression and a poor self image. Stuffing myself made it all bearable. And I don’t really think my colleagues need to know this, or my clients. All the shame and self loathing feels private yet has some place in here I feel.

Oh these camps are all over as far as I know. Think in usa they are called obesity boot camp, live-in boot camp or something in that nature. When I started googling for options I saw a lot of various camps, in different locations and even some high end luxury close to resort style obesity camps.

Clearly I have done a piss poor job of taking care of myself the past decades, and things got from bad to worse the past ten years. So I take all the help and guiding I can get and maybe that camp can help me set the guideline for a new way of living, in such a way that I embrace that way of living so it becomes a natural long term thing.

(Susan) #93

You are doing great, and have made tremendous progress already. You should be proud of yourself =). I wish you much success at this camp and I hope that you will enjoy it, even though it will be hard work and arduous, I hope that the end result will make you happy. I will be looking forward to your progress there if you can be on the forum from there, or the end result if not and telling us all about it when you are home =).

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #94

Thx for the kind words momo, you cheering motivates me. You have no idea. I’ve hear’d people tell me at work etc that I am doing good, but I never felt I did enough to take a rest and enjoy those moments. I think it has something to do with the way I had let myself go, declining health, more and more obese for each year. Regular everyday tasks people do without ever thinking things trough started to become hard, and rather then dealing with the root cause, I did as I’ve always done. I turned to food, sweets, cakes and ice cream to forget what was wrong and in solitude in front of the TV I didn’t have any problems as long as the table was stacked with treats.

Yes I will be sharing the progress. I don’t really know how much energy I will have left in me in the evenings, I might fall dead onto the bed and sleep all night. But I will carve some time to update and read up on the various threads here during the weekends at least.

And my journey does not end when camp is over, in many ways maybe that is when the journey begins? Because so far I’ve been a one trick pony keeping laser focus on only one goal - the camp. And that has been manageable. When camp is over, I need to gather myself and be in charge over my own future all by myself. Without slacking, cheating, taking brakes or falling of the keto wagon. And to top it all, I must continue to move, to exercise in some form, for myself, my health and my longevity. And that task is not like a project plan with a defined start and end. Keto and exercise in some form will be an ongoing routine til the end of time for me.

Did I mention I sometimes hate routines? Routines can make me feel trapped. And when camp is over, I am in charge of overcoming negative feelings, to motivate myself in such a way that my new lifestyle does not become a chore that I should do but rather a task I enjoy and look forward to. And I think to really own those thoughts requires a whole lot of reprogramming and unlearning on my part. So that is the really journey.

This part here I think is merely a prologue, that goes on into the camp. And then after the camp is over when I need to start to make the right choices for myself, my future and my health, that is where the journey really begins.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #95

Btw either my math was sloppy earlier or it was Freudian slip :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The 60th hour of the fast is right now. Not six hours ago or whenever I posted “60 hours mark”.
I still got 12 hours left of this fast, and still feel good, in control and I am now looking forward to having 6-8 hours of sleep. The final hours when I wake up tomorrow will go smooth I think. Because I got a busy morning, will work from home until after lunch and my case load is on the heavy side so not much time to think about meals and foods. But as soon as the 72 hours alarm starts ringing on my phone, I will do a fry up.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #96

So the 72 hours fast is up. I woke up hungry today too. Lesson learned from yesterday. So I filled two rollingpapers with a teaspoon or so with salt and swallowed one at a time before I even had my plain black coffee.

I shaved, showered and got dressed. Looked over some work I did this weekend and without really noticing the hunger was gone. In about 30 minutes or so since I took the salt. Nice.

When I hit the 72 hour mark I did a small meal, only 4 strips of bacon, poached eggs and did a creme fraiche and avocado guacamole, then I had one avocado sliced with salt and pepper on the side. That sat really well. A little smaller portion then before, so this was a little experiment, as I am still not sure how to break a fast the best way. I’ve seen people suggest keto coffee, bone broth etc. But I am hungry for solid foods. Not broth or keto coffee, and after 72 hours without food I think as long as I don’t get sick from breaking the fast it can’t really be all that bad?.

I just got in at work and I think this fast have been the one that was the most easy with less hunger pain, no craving after sweets and the few hunger waves I’ve had has vanished after salt intake, even yesterday morning when the hunger waves hit hard and at first I couldn’t shake em. The salt seem to make it all better and the hunger waves vanished.

Tomorrow I will start to experiment with salt added to my bottled water. To see if I can learn to drink a little salt added to water. If not I still got rolling papers left :wink:

(Jane) #97

I’ve always broken my fast with food and only had bathroom issues once, maybe twice out of a lot of fasts. If you don’t have any issues breaking with food is fine.

(hottie turned hag) #98

Hey will you be able to eat keto at the camp? Do you know the menu ahead of time? Thinking a fat camp may rely heavy on the pyramid approach to food :open_mouth:

I’m with you on this, sister! I use zero social media, only anonymous forums. Lately just this one and a Linux forum I’ve been on for years and that isn’t a place to talk personal crap.

This forum has an, unusual for an internet forum, vibe of -largely- pragmatism and kindness combo. Hard to explain but it suits me.

I’m a massive introvert and never ever express much/talk about my childhood abuse/tell much of anything anywhere in real life, to anyone and absolutely never at the workplace. HELLnaw.

My kids weren’t even informed of much about me until they were adults and then only in relevant context; I’m a privacy freak to an extreme degree.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #99

to be honest, I don’t know if they “cater to keto”. Most likely they don’t. And I do expect to get shit for eating the way I do now. I don’t think keto is really well established in the professional health care industry yet. I don’t expect the doctors, nutritionist or the on-site psychologist to have much experience with keto, nor do I expect them to be eager to learn. As they are taking a school medicine approach to their program. Using well proven and tested methods to loose weight. Like 5 or 6 meals a day. Big variety of fruit and vegetables, various sources for grains, and moderate protein intake and as little fat as possible. I’ve that preach once or twice in my time, and little has it helped me.

I expect loads of “light products”, that has replaced fat with sugar. Stuff like mayo, yoghurt, dressings etc will surely be light products. :smiley:

I will tell them about my experiences so far, how keto removed cravings that was so bad I caved and gave in almost every day. For the first time I can take on a craving battle and win time and time again. And that is all keto. Also I will show them my results. As I go frequently to my doctor for blood work I also got the paper work to prove what I claim.

What it comes down to is probably economics. Do they have a budget that allow for individual meal plans? My guess is no. So I think they will argue hard and long about how dangerous keto is, but really they are mostly protecting their wallets.

It does not matter to me, I’ll find a way to manage. Even if that means I got buy a camping cooler that I can plug in and use in my room, and it might mean I need to grill my own dinner outside, heck I even take a drive and do it outside camp if need be just to grill some fatty cuts. At camp I can happily do keto coffee at brakfest and lunch, if nothing else, maybe an egg or two. Or be really picky with what I select to eat from my plate at dinner time.

I haven’t called them up to check, because I don’t need to be dragged down by whatever their answer might be. I just wait and see, and if it is not possible to have individual meal plans, I will do what is needed to, for keeping the keto life going. Even if that means I need to drive off camp and grill outside no matter rain or sun.

Its only 6 weeks, I don’t need to work myself up over this, the meals are a minor problem any way it turns out. I rather work around problems then let them weigh me down and change my mood and push me down into the get great big black hole, that is not a good place to be :smiley:

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #100

Them Linux forums, they can be challenging at times. Some of them people are so direct it hurts to read even if the comments are not about one self. But that keeps things on topic and so for what it is I am ok with it.

Yeah this forum is wonderful. I think of all the forums I’ve spend time on over the years. Since the 90’s. This is by far the most friendly one. Also, we are open to seek help, and more experienced users are happy to help. No “google is your friend” comments, no laughing when people are personal and outspoken. I guess it must be because we all have some reason for being here, and maybe we share many of the same feelings towards food, eating, overeating, not eating or whatever have been our problem area. So we are almost by nature capable of understanding how others feel, we might not really get it all, but we can relate.

As for bing private online, old farts like me that grew up with internet from its infant years we are old school. We grew into what was back then a necessity, to protect one self from prying eyes online. And that is a hard habit to brake, and why brake it? It served us well since the “dawn of time” in regards to the internet.