Progress check-in: Does this make sense?

I’m mindful of Richard Feynman’s dictum: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool.” I’m relatively new to keto and would like to put out there some data and the conclusions that I’ve drawn. I’d really appreciate feedback about whether my conclusions seem to be on target.

Data

1. 2/5/2019 - I had purchased a glucometer and…
    Morning fasting blood sugar = 145.8 mg/dL
    Ketones = 0

2. I started a ketogenic diet the same day.

3. 2/6/2019 - Weight: 263.0 lbs

4. 2/23/2019 - Screening done at Quest:
    Total Cholesterol = 221
    HDL = 20
    Total / HDL = 11

5. 4/2/2019 - Physician ordered lab work:
    A1C = 5.4
    Total Cholesterol = 226
    HDL = 24
    Total / HDL = 9

6. 4/4/2019
    Morning fasting blood sugar = 86.4 mg/dL
    Ketones = 2.7 mmol/L
    Weight = 239.6 lbs

Conclusions

1. Based on my initial fasting blood sugar, I’m likely Type 2 diabetic.
  2. The ketone level in Data #6 is pretty regular for me now. I’m in ketosis.
  3. Based on my A1C, the 2 months of keto have controlled my blood sugar well.
  4. The fact that my A1C is near the upper limit of normal suggests that I was in a diabetic range for the first month prior to achieving control with keto.
  5. My lipid panel is showing signs of improvement. HDL number is better and the Total/HDL ratio (which is an indicator of heart attack risk) is improved.
  6. My doctor may be concerned about the lipid panel but I should Keep Calm and Keto On.

I would very much appreciate any feedback. Did I miss anything? Is anything incorrect?

I am no expert and your blood glucose numbers in the US are measured differently to ours in Oz…but it looks to me like you have an excellent grasp of where you are at and where you are headed and are very well on the way to recovering your metabolic health, congratulations.

Thank you! :smiley:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

You had a high morning fasting BG but a normal A1c so I would tell you to research dawn phenomenon and say that you may have been heading toward T2D but that you didn’t meet the criteria yet when you DID get tested. It’s really a guess at this point about what it might have been two months prior.

Otherwise you seem to be on track. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I’m talking to my doc’s office tomorrow. I’m wondering if she’s going to want me to do a glucose tolerance test.

I definitely experience a dawn phenomenon but it tends to not be higher than 102 mg/dL.

(Cranford Coulter) #7

Anything between 70 and 150 needs no medical intervention according to US standards, but I believe you are correct in assuming T2D with a FBG of 145. You seem to be on a good path. Hopefully, you have a doctor who understands keto. I am very fortunate, in that, both my PCP and my cardiologist fully embrace keto. They happen to be husband and wife.

Thank you for the feedback! It seems like I’m going to have to educate my docs. I’m hoping they’ll be receptive.

(Alec) #9

I think your numbers are excellent, mostly your body weight reduction (fantastic… you must feel good?) and your BG level. If you were in the diabetic range, you aren’t any longer. I would advise if you can to get an insulin test, it’s always handy to know that if you now have normal/lower BG whether that is because you aren’t driving it from your diet, or whether your body is driving it lower through lots of insulin. If you are keto and losing weight, I strongly suspect the former. Note that it is the high insulin that we are trying to avoid.

You mentioned cholesterol levels. Personal view, useless tests that only persist as a money spinner for the drug companies. Ignore cholesterol levels.

I do feel good! In particular, I’m noticing that I have more energy. I also don’t need to eat anywhere near as often as I used to. I’m also inclined to not be so worried about cholesterol numbers.