Problem with aspartame

newbies

(George) #1

Im new to Keto. 2 months ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after having a blood sugar of 440 during a checkup. I am an over the road truck driver and have lots of time to listen to audiobooks and podcasts. I found the 2 Keto Dudes podcast and started down the Keto road. I had a lot of great benefits with in the first month, more energy, better vision, less joint pain, and better focus. I was also able to stop taking the metformin. However, I struggled to get into ketosis. I consistently measured between .2 and .4. I was getting a little frustrated. I was cutting all carbs but green vegetables. Then I listened to the podcast on sweeteners again and decided to test them. I fasted for 24 hrs and tested my blood sugar it was at 82. I then drank the sugar free tea I have been drinking daily that was sweetened with aspartame. I tested my blood every 30 minutes for 2 hours. The first test showed my blood sugar jumping to 127 and gradually decreased over the next 2 hours. I have since tested sucralose and had no spike in my blood sugar. I’m now in ketosis after cutting out the aspartame.
Thanks 2 Keto Dudes!

Congrats dude, after you go a while reintroduce it and see if it goes back… control test. Be amazed how many things that happens with, then after a while it doesn’t. Whether it’s the fat loss or just re/desensitizing I don’t know.

Hopefully you have a fridge and an APU and can do a lot of your own stuff, if so makes life a lot easier, but even it you don’t the truck stops are way easier to eat at now than they used to be if you’re not packing a couple days of meal prep. Those cups full of meats and cheeses, eggs, usually a lot of jerky etc. Not so much real “meals”, but good as hell! Damn even with things like Quest and Pure Protein bars we even get some junk food snacks out of it when that’s what we’re feeling.

(Laurie) #3

Hi George. Nice detective work!

Not a trucker, but when I drove cross Canada and back last summer, I lived on fast food burger patties. I order “just the patties,” and usually there’s no problem. If the cashier doesn’t know what I mean (language barrier), or doesn’t know how to ring it in, they go and get someone who does.

I had canned corned beef and sardines as backup, but only used them once or twice.

I have been having the same problem discovering these ingredients. There are a number of things I have found that have little or no glucose response, but will drop your keytone levels just the same. I drank two Dr. Pepper zeroes in an hour at a pool party and my ketone reading went to 0.2 mmol/L even though my glucose went from 87 to 82 in the same reading timeframe…

Vodka made from grapefruit has the same stab you in the back qualities. You will have zero glucose response as read from a blood meter, but your ketone levels drop at an incredible rate.

I also just made the mistake of having one of these incidents dropping me to 0.2mmol/L, said screw it and had a carb heavy meal and it felt like I slammed a stout 6 pack in rapid succession. Who knew sugar could make you drunk when you consume more of it in one sitting than you normally do in a month!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Aspartame is not supposed to cause a spike in blood sugar. No artificial sweetener may be sold in the U.S. if it does so. If you can demonstrate that it was really the aspartame raising your blood sugar, you should report that to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. They will want to know.

On the other hand, the FDA cares nothing about whatever effect such sweeteners may have on insulin.