Preparations of Oats

(Bob M) #21

If I get some CGM sensors (always good to have to see the damage caused by holiday carbs), I might try this to see what my blood sugar would be. For me, it would not be a habit (don’t eat breakfast), but I could see trying to get my kids to eat it, if the blood sugar hit isn’t too bad. It likely couldn’t be worse than fruit, which they eat a lot.

I’m so grateful that over thanksgiving (canuck thanksgiving, that is) almost everything was keto, besides an apple pie, some snacks and some stuffing, but there was even keto stuffing and a keto cheesecake! I think everyone preferred the keto stuffing over the regular one, because there was bacon in it! Lol. If you get the monitor, let me know of the results.

Porridge isn’t a full English breakfast, but it’s sure a better option than some of the sugary cereals out there when prepared properly! A little bit of honey or some fruit along with all that butter, maybe some cream, and I think most kids could gobble that down.

(Bob M) #23

You’ve never met my kids. :wink:

Seriously, we make different meals all the time. Last weekend, I made a terrific duck with crispy skin and great sauce. My kids? Barely got down what we forced them to eat.

This weekend, I plan on making bacon wrapped chicken livers. We’ll see how that flies.

Oh, well I don’t know. I’m a teenager and I was super picky most my life, but I thought to that extent it was mostly just me and my siblings.

My brother lives on poptarts, nutella, bread, jam, brownies, ice cream, cake rolls, all that good stuff. My sister? Won’t knowingly eat butter, only margarine, only orange cheese, only processed meats, her main source of calories is kraft dinner and chicken nuggets and fries.

Occasionally I make fries for my sister using duck fat, keto pizza, and sometimes I can sneak butter on her sandwiches without her noticing.

I used to live on white bread, cheese, hot dogs and more cheese, but now, I’m the only one in my house that will touch liver. I made this wonderful beef liver soup with tomato sauce and I’ve been eating it for breakfast or lunch the last few days. That duck sounds great, I wish my parents still cooked for me everyday. Haha

Can I come and visit you? Lol

Recipe, please! A vague one will do as well, I change things all the time anyway but if you think details are important and you don’t mind to write down them… I ordered some good beef liver and I close to never did anything with meat. I thought I fry it as I fry everything but it’s a nice amount and I will order even more next time, probably so I am in real need of good liver recipes. I love soups and tomato sauce very much.

I started the fermentation and kind of baked the bread (forced small modifications), interesting inside, taste and crust is fine (I’m into crunchy crusts. My perfect bread only has that part), a bit too salty for me (I forget to count and see that we will need less, whatever, not a big problem and I know the right amount now), the main target haven’t tasted it yet because I baked a way fancier wheat bread and cheesy rolls too. I’m sure I will keep baking my normal breads BUT it’s good to know I have options when I run out of flour, it happens. Not like we really need bread but it’s useful.

(Jane) #26

Thanks. I’ve got a sourdough starter in my fridge and I know it usually ferments overnight on the counter but not always so I wanted to make sure of the time frame.

Ok, I’ll try to remember. I cooked some quails in the slow cooker in some water and then removed them, this was the broth I used for the liver soup, but otherwise, a litre of commercial broth might work?

1.5 - 2 lbs liver, cut into bite sized pieces (I soaked the pieces in water and lemon juice for maybe 3 or 4 hours before hand?)
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper
2 tbsp bacon grease + butter (I think I added this? I make soup a lot, can’t remember)
1 400ml can tomato sauce
1 - 1.5L bone broth (If you can, I recommend homemade because it’s more rich and flavourful)
1 tsp oregano + thyme
1 medium potato, chopped

Add the onion, salt and pepper, grease and butter, tomato sauce, bone broth and thyme and oregano (and the potato if you want, or you could use some carrots or a can of stewed tomatoes blended up, it was to thicken the soup) to a slow cooker, cook it until the vegetables are cooked through, then blend all together with a hand blender (or regular blender). Rinse the liver of the blood, water and lemon mixture, then add it to the slow cooker and cook for around 6 hours.

I’m definitely not a professional photographer by any means… but this it what it looks like. The last bowl of the batch. I’m going to have to make something else with liver soon.

Thank you! I will definitely try this :slight_smile:

My SO came home and had zero problems with the oat bread and ate it.

Alright, I’ve had a batch of oats fermenting for a week and they smell… pretty strong, even after being rinsed a few times. I’ve decided I’m going to cook all of them up in one batch and try the porridge drawer thing, but with a square pan. Another thing I’m going to try is doing something like this with rice. I rinsed some rice, added it to a jar with some warm water and took 1 tbsp of the strong oat liquid and added that as well.

I’m curious what will happen with the rice! Weird idea but I often like weird ideas, we need to be brave and creative sometimes, it may end well :slight_smile:

My batch of fermented oats is almost 5 days old, it has some slight smell and it looks funny like natto (I ate natto once, nothing special, I don’t understand why many people are against it). I keep waiting, my kitchen was quite cold as I was away for days and it really could use more fermenting, it seems.

We will see, my SO loves carbs (and porridge) and I like fermented stuff (he too but I am the bigger fan) and I find porridge totally awful unless I drown the oats in coconut and cocoa… I can’t even imagine what will happen when I make porridge from fermented oats.
Is that okay with different flavors like normal porridge? My SO loves his with lots of fruits and I find porridge or rice with fruits a bad idea (and not just because it is carbs with carbs, against my very being).

(Ken) #32

One point people should remember is that the fermentation process is not necessarily designed to make things taste better, but to make them more healthy to eat and preserve them.

I would like to try Chinese Sweet Rice, but it appears you need both special rice and yeast.

I don’t think I fermented the rice long enough. It tasted pretty bland, I mean rice tastes bland, but with the oats their flavour changes. I guess I’ll have to try it again another time.

When the oats are just slightly fermented, I like them cooked in milk with butter and salt mixed in. When they have been fermenting for a week, I cook them the same way, but I prefer them with a handful of cold berries on top.

Unless it’s sauerkraut! Lol :wink: